LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 09-29-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
spacecoast
User

Default Easy fix for loose grip

NOTE: this is only for guns considered "shooters", do not try with a gun you value as a Collectible.

As I'm sure many Luger shooters know, the grips can loosen up due to broken or missing wood edges on the inside of the grip. My refinished shooter DWM had this condition - the leading edges of the wood ridge inside the right grip had broken down and allowed the grip to flop forward. Still usable but very annoying. Nobody wants to use a gun where it feels like the grip isn't firmly attached.

My wife is into crafts and has a small hot glue gun with a very small nozzle. After comparing the loose right grip to one that fits tightly, I used a thin bead of hot glue to rebuild the missing wood. Putting it back on the gun, the glue is soft enough to conform to the edge of the frame it presses against, and the grip now fits perfectly with no wiggle at all!

I'll add another note that if you are concerned about the glue sticking to the frame, don't be. It gets very firm once it cures.

Rather than using too much glue (messy and difficult to remove), start slowly and use multiple applications if necessary. It just takes a little.

Last edited by spacecoast; 09-29-2014 at 02:22 PM.
spacecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 8 members says Thank You to spacecoast for your post:
Unread 09-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Zorba
User

I'm going to try this on a set of repro grips with no "edges" at all!
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #3
Olle
User

I read about this trick somewhere else, and it works great! However, I would like to find a harder type of glue that allows you to make a more permanent repair. Seems like the standard a bit soft, so it gets messed up if you remove the grips. A hard type of hot glue would be perfect to use in revolver grips where the holes have been wallered out. I usually use epoxy for this, but hot glue would be way quicker and less messy.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2014, 02:35 AM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,348 Posts

I've used a similar method employing 1 hour epoxy. The epoxy works well and sets up hard. I also use it on the edges to shim when a grip is too short. To avoid having it stick to the gun, I tape a single layer of Saran Wrap to the area to be addressed. One can lay on a bead of mixed epoxy and gently form it as it cures, also removing any excess while it is still fudgey--but not sticky.
Unread 09-30-2014, 06:21 AM   #5
spacecoast
User

Quote:
However, I would like to find a harder type of glue that allows you to make a more permanent repair. Seems like the standard a bit soft, so it gets messed up if you remove the grips. A hard type of hot glue would be perfect to use in revolver grips where the holes have been wallered out. I usually use epoxy for this, but hot glue would be way quicker and less messy.
I agree, standard hot glue is pretty soft. I was lucky enough to pick up my wife's "high temp" glue gun when I did this fix, not only is the tip smaller, but it uses "mini glue", which appears to have a higher melting point (190C vs. 120C) and holds up better (and I'm thinking it must be harder when it cools).

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-te...gun-68337.html

http://www.clumsycrafter.com/2013/04...ue-gun-to-use/
spacecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Try Bondo. It can be shaped with files or knives while it is semi-hard, but when fully cured, it is rock hard.
Unread 09-30-2014, 08:43 AM   #7
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

JB Weld has worked in this same capacity for me on many occasions
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Just to fix a bit the grip screws I use one drop of my wife's nail varnish, it works.

Sergio
Unread 10-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Raulus
User

The glue gun workes miracles in just few seconds. And the glue doesn't stick to the wood, if I don't like it I can take it off any time and repeat the operation once again until it is perfect.
Raulus is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Raulus for your post: