LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 03-21-2003, 01:08 AM   #1
Big Norm
RIP

Post New 1917 Navy

I just received a new 1917 navy Luger. I paid in the high range of my price for it. But it looks like it was worth it. Its got about 95% original bluing and straw, matching magazine and grips. The bore is dynamite. I really had to check out the barrel to make sure that it was not a replacement. Its original. The straps show little or no wear or rust pitting. Just a georgeous gun.

Now the bad news. I started taking it apart to clean and apply fresh oil when the small chip from the left side of the grip around the safety fell off. My heart fell into my stomach. I called the seller to tell him that I was keeping the gun. When I told him about the grips chip, he said that his son is into wood working and voluntered to try to fix it. I am still a little sick, but I am hopeful of the repair. The chip was not just a sliver. It was larger. So maybe...just maybe, it can be repaired. Personally, I have never been successful at repairing chips. But my previous attempts were tried on chips that were more in the sliver size.

I just have to get a digital camera. Then I will be able to shamelessly brag on an international basis.
Fingers Crossed,
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 06:11 AM   #2
Luke
User

Norm -

Had the same thing happen with a beautiful little 1910 DWM with matching grips. I repaired it using the small piece which fell off, not some wood-like substance. The repair is stable and invisible. So, it can be done. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Luke
Unread 03-21-2003, 07:35 AM   #3
Navy
RIP

Norm,
You can repair the damage with a dab or two of the thic version of super glue; just be certain you have the grip panel stable when you apply the glue to the two pieces 'cause you only get one try.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 12:40 PM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

I had some success while making some picture frames with 'Elmers Glue'. But, in that instance, I was able to clamp the frames tightly. There doesn't seem to be a way of clamping the irregular shape of Luger grips. I agreed to allow the sellers son to try it because the chip was a bit larger and because the seller assured me that his son had experience with wood working.

If that does not work, then I always have the option of replacing the grips with some unnumbered, good, original grips that are in better shape than the grips that I got with the gun and, I think, would be more in keeping with the quality of the gun. I have a number of original, unnumbered grips that I had professionally recheckered. But it would be nicer to have the originally numbered grips.
Big Norm
Unread 03-21-2003, 01:55 PM   #5
Navy
RIP

Norm,

Try this.
Take a piece of corkboart and cover with wax paper.
Plave the grip panel on the cork board and, using straight pins around the edges, immobilize the grip panel.

Then, using the thick Crazy/Super glue variant, apply a small amount on the edge ar the break. Then, very deftly slide the piece to mate with the graip panel and hold in place with additional straight pins.

This is tedious but it solves the irregular shape problem.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2003, 03:57 PM   #6
Roadkill
User

I've fixed other irregular shaped items by making a mold out of loose density styrofoam.Gently push the parts into it until they are are in a stable position, then use scotch tape to hold in place. Take broken parts and align, glue/attach, then tape down.

rk
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2003, 08:40 AM   #7
Luke
User

Big Norm -

One of the keys in making any adhesive work with old grips is removing the surface oil from the two glue surfaces. I use a Q-Tip and acetone to clean the glue surfaces before applying the glue.

I have used the jelled "Super Glue" effectively, but prefer a quick-set epoxy; as you have more time to get the two pieces perfectly mated before the glue begins to harden.

Good luck,
Luke
Unread 03-22-2003, 12:00 PM   #8
Aaron
Banned

Super glue is the only way to go. The mend is invisible and the joint is stronger than the original wood. The proper generic name of the glue is "cyanoacrylate." It must be fresh, not stored on a shelf for years. Do not buy it from a stationery store or drug store, as this "home repair" glue is very poor quality. Buy it from a hobby shop which caters to radio control aircraft modelers. It comes in three thicknesses and I have had great success with the medium. As previously mentioned, all oil must be removed from the joint. This is best done by spraying the joint with KR2 spot remover. Let it dry to a white powder. This draws the oil out of the wood, and all you have to do is brush off the powder residue. (Incidentally, this is a great fix for oily grips.) Lay the grip down on a piece of waxed paper and apply a tiny amount of glue to the joint with a toothpick. Press the pieces together for 2-3 minutes and you will have a good bond. wait a few hours before handling the grip, and the job is done.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2003, 01:30 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts
Big Norm, I would not let an unknown woodworker work on a pair of Navy grips. These can be salvaged as relayed by the good advice above. Most people you give projects like this too don't care enough about them to do a good job...Don't send them!!! Hugh has had experience with this too as I understand it. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2003, 10:48 PM   #10
Big Norm
RIP

Thanks everyone. But when the chip fell off, I got sick to my stomach. When I called the seller, I was really down in the dumps. When he said that his son had experience at wood working, I kinda panicked and mailed it off. Grabbing at straws. My experience at trying to repair smaller sliver chips has not been successful. Local Luger collectors told me that they were not successful either.
Many great suggestions and I truely appreciate all of them. Thanks again. I'll let you all know what happened when I get the grip back.
Big Norm
Unread 03-31-2003, 08:18 PM   #11
Big Norm
RIP

Gentlemen,
all my fears have been cast aside. I received the repared grips from the seller today. It turns out that the sellers son is not just a woodworking guy. He spent two years at Trinity college in Colorado studying gunsmithing and his current second job is repairing gun wood stocks. He did a GREAT job on the repair of my grips. The break is not perceptible on the outside and only the finest of inspecting could detect the fine crack line on the inside. Also important is the fact that they fit the navy Luger great.

I guess that today is my lucky day. I bought the below grips off of Ebay. I thought that I should have my head examined when I bid on them. But I received them today and they are better than I had expected. The picture on Ebays auction do not do the grips justice. The Imperial Eagle was not cut into the grips. The background was and the eagles are the high relief with a touch of white paint on them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2166045844&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

Now comes the problem. What gun do I put them on. I have a nice chamber dated 1914 DWM artillery that came with repro grips on it. I had put some nice 'Red Nine' grips on it and they looked great. But when I put these Imperial Eagle grips on it, all I could say was "WOW!". This artillery Luger is as mocho macho as a Luger can get. No pearl or tiger wood griped pimp gun here. Now maybe a snail drum and a stock. It can't get any better. Oh! And a digital camera for everyone else to eat their hearts out when they see the assembly.
Big Norm