LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 08-28-2002, 09:50 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Post Collector observation

I've learned a lot about collector Lugers. Mainly it ain't for me. Also I've learned there are experienced luger collectors. There are expert luger collectors. There are very well off luger collectors. There are expansive luger collectors.There are Imperial, Weimar, WWII, Swiss, Artillery, Kreighof, VOPO, and shiny Luger collectors. Where are the happy luger collectors?
I'm happy. But I'm not a collector.

RK
[img]wink.gif[/img]
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2002, 10:08 PM   #2
wterrell
User

Roadkill,
What you ask is difficult.
It is a question of expectations, disillusionment, ignorance, knowledge, integrity, dishonesty, introspection, honesty, gratification, love of history, love of money, and whether you wake up grumpy in the morning, or let her sleep.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2002, 10:11 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts
Talking

Yes you bet you're a collector!

When you were a kid, did you collect silly things like pop lids? Coins that weren't worth much? Old playboys? Then you went to a 12 gauge, then what ever else.

Well, any gun is a collector gun, it might be a shooter, but my shooters are still a collector piece. That East German import, it served in WW2, then the Russians came in and German repairmen fixed it.

My Artillery shooter, served in WW1 and at some point it was rusty and pitted and someone blued it. Who knows the story, but they are collectables in their own right and although not as valuable to some. Just because it was reblued doesn't take its history away from it. It is still a 1914 Erfurt 8 inch Artillery. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2002, 10:48 PM   #4
Heinz
User

Talking

Roadkill, I agree with Ed, you are a Luger collector. Those who require perfection and originality are welcome to their quest, they bring a great to the sport/hobby/addiction. But those who are happy with refinished or 50% blue are also collectors and often shooters which also brings something unique to the sport.

I am also involved with muzzleloading where the arguments between purists and modernists and shooters and collectors can go on forever. On this forum we are a lot more civil and accepting of other views. I think this is great.

I own a blued 1915. The Police got to it even before Thor and made their changes. All part of the history. Maybe next I will get a VOPO rework, or a well used original. I do like to hear them go bang. But I do like to see those elegant originals also. And the fascinating history is mostly kept for us by the hard core collectors.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2002, 10:54 PM   #5
wterrell
User

Heinz,

Please check your private posts.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2002, 01:42 AM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Talking

RK,

[img]biggrin.gif[/img] (raising hand) I am a happy Luger collector. I also maintain that anybody who owns more than one Luger, or is contemplating buying another one, is a Luger collector. As long as one adjusts one's expectations to one's desires by way of one's abilities, there's no reason not to be happy. I'm never happier (well, almost never) than when I'm buying another Luger.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote