LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 09-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
shadow
User

Default Brass getting shaved

I just started reloading for my luger yesterday. When I examined all of the brass that I put through my luger over the last year I noticed most of the brass was dented and a good portion had a little bit of brass shaved at the dent. While shooting my first batch of reloads today I noticed that the dent and shaved brass is still present. On careful examination of the action I could see brass shavings collecting on the left side of the reciever in the slot where the breech block slides.

It appears that the ejector is pushing the spent case into the left side of the action which is then denting and shaving the case on the way out.

Is this normal? If not what can be done to stop this from occurring?

Here is a photo of three of the cases:

BTW the reloads functioned perfectly through the gun, Since there was a recent thread about using blue dot I figured I would give it a try since I had some lying around.

Here is what I loaded.

8 gr blue dot
115 gr sierra tmj
CCI small pistol primer
R-P cases
1.168 OAL

Here is he result benched at 20 yards. I know it is not great shooting but it is good for me!

Chris

Unread 09-29-2007, 11:57 PM   #2
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

I've seen those marks as well. There was, and still is a slow motion view of a Luger firing, where you can see the brass spining around and striking the extractor, which makes me wonder if it is the cause of the mark. Just a thought...
Unread 09-30-2007, 03:17 AM   #3
Steinar
User

Chris, perhaps it's your magazine? ..never seen anything like it, just crossed my mind that it might be the 'feeding ramp' of the mag. that is bended in (perhaps from falling down).
Unread 09-30-2007, 04:05 AM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Chris,

This has come up before. The right-mounted ejector causes the ejected casing to move to the left out of the breechblock face, and the the case mouth strikes the left receiver extension, as you observe.

Completely normal and expected operation.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 02:45 AM   #5
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

Here's the video, I mentioned...

http://www.kurzzeit.com/video.zip
Unread 10-12-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,882 Times in 1,186 Posts

Hi,

You can probably cure it with a fresh spring under the extractor.
Had a VoPo with the same problem. After a spring job the rounds left the gun unharmed and landed where they were supposed to (top of my head).
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #7
Steinar
User

Chris; if you decide to follow that advice and need a 'fresh' extractor spring.. send me a pm with your adress and I will send you one.
Few things is more satisfying than hot brass in the neck time after time
Unread 10-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
shadow
User

Thanks for the offer! I did put a new Wolff spring under the extractor last year. I have a couple more Wolff springs. I will give them a try to see if it makes a difference.

The brass rarely lands on my head, usually it is slightly off to my right, and can be anywhere from a few feet in front of me to a few feet behind me. It is almost never to my left.

I will try the other springs and see if it makes a difference. After that I will report the results here.

That video is really neat, but the brass is not being dented. The last time I shot the Luger after the action stayed open on the last round, I actually saw the shavings on the left side of the receiver on the edge of the track that the breech block rides in. It was there several times and looked similar to a small piece of potato skin that was still stuck to the potato peeler. Next time I shoot the gun I will take pictures of this if the problem still exists with the spring change.

Thanks,

Chris