LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 05-28-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
Luke
User

Default Triple-K Magazines

Has anyone else used the Triple-K stainless steel magazines for shooters?

Just used one this morning on a shooter Luger which is a little unpredictable in cycling, and it worked perfectly.

I know they look cheap, but the one I have seems to work much more smoothly than my Mec-Gar magazines. A sample of 1 proves nothing, so I would like to hear if anyone else has found the same.

Thanks,
Luke
Unread 05-28-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
pipeman45
User

I tried one in a colt AR-15 I have and I don't think I'll make that mistake again. Then again the pistol mags may be alright.
Unread 05-29-2005, 05:44 AM   #3
Luke
User

Although I haven't seen any of the other Triple-K magazines, the Luger version does not look like quality. It appears to be cheaply manufactured. However, the sliding action of the follower is much smoother than that of the Mec-Gar mags I have. I think it has to to with two things:

1. The Triple-K spring is a wide zig-zag spring which does not tend to bind as does the coil spring in the originals and in the Mec-Gar.
2. The follower appears to be made of nylon and slides up and down the mag tube smoothly with virtually no binding.

I am not becoming a Triple-K advocate; just looking for information.

Luke
Unread 05-29-2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Rod WMG
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Luke
Although I haven't seen any of the other Triple-K magazines, the Luger version does not look like quality. It appears to be cheaply manufactured. However, the sliding action of the follower is much smoother than that of the Mec-Gar mags I have. I think it has to to with two things:

1. The Triple-K spring is a wide zig-zag spring which does not tend to bind as does the coil spring in the originals and in the Mec-Gar.
2. The follower appears to be made of nylon and slides up and down the mag tube smoothly with virtually no binding.

I am not becoming a Triple-K advocate; just looking for information.

Luke
Interesting observations. What little I've read about these mags has been negative. I, too, would like to hear more.

I suppose the price is listed on their site?
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2005, 01:01 AM   #5
Hugh
RIP

I had a couple of older blued ones that were junk. I have a couple of the newer ones made of SS (I guess, or chromed anyway), they work as well as my Meg-Gars, just don't look as nice.
Unread 06-02-2005, 09:33 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I agree that the newer 3K mags are of exc quality (stay away for the old "Mexico" marked ones) and come with a life time unconditional warantee. This is the same mag that came in the early US made SS Mitchell lugers and will also fit the PO8. I carry only the wood bottomed ones in stainless @$30 each and the blued black plastic bottomed ones @$20. TH
Unread 06-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Tom,

Do the new mags carry 8 shots, or only 7?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2005, 10:09 AM   #8
Luke
User

Dwight -

I can't be certain about the Triple-K mags that Tom carries, but I strongly suspect that his stainless version is the same as mine. Mine only holds 7 rounds. I'm not sure why they hold one round less than the originals. Some legal restriction, maybe?

Luke
Unread 06-04-2005, 01:12 PM   #9
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

My WAG would be that the spring they selected only allows seven rounds at full compression. Poor engineering, if so.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2005, 06:17 PM   #10
Luke
User

Dwight -

Strange finding. I have two of the stainless models, one with plastic bottom and one with wood bottom. The plastic bottom mag easily accepts 8 rounds, while the wood bottom mag will only accept 7 rounds . . . no matter how hard I press on the top round.

My conclusion: The conceptual design, using nylon follower and zig-zag spring, is good engineering, BUT the implementation thereof is poor.

Luke
Unread 06-13-2005, 11:49 AM   #11
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Luke, another fact to add to your Triple-K file. I recently had the chance to meet new forum member Markhepler... and examine his first Luger. Among the accessories was a magazine (stainless) with spot weld construction that is the earmark for Triple-K mags. He advised me that the mag functions in a virtual flawless mode at the range, BUT the holdopen operation is very erratic...

Upon removing the right grip, and examining the operation of the holdopen by this magazine compared to the other two original mags that he had, it became obvious, that the mag button on these nylon follower Triple-K mags is of a smaller diameter than a "standard" mag and unless the mag is manually pressed upward, it would not be a reliable source for engagement with the holdopen device. I suspect that his is true for all Triple-K mags of this type of construction...

How does the diameter of the follower button compare to your genuine original magazines?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #12
Luke
User

Hi John,

Good observation. I have seen the same problem. The buttons on my two Triple-K mags are smaller in diameter, and occasionally the holdopen function fails after the last round.

One would think that the folks at Triple-K would get their act together, as they have a potentially good product. I like the stainless steel tube, the zig-zag spring, and the nylon follower. The current implementation, however, is less than satisfactory. Having said that, I cannot deny the smooth operation and lack of jams since I started using these mags.

Luke
Unread 06-24-2005, 06:43 AM   #13
Luke
User

Unbelievable ! ! ! One of these on eBay now has six bids and is currently at $56.00 ! ! !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...540527700&rd=1

By the way, I believe that "lugerdoc" has them available - new - for around $30.00.

Help me out if I am mistaken in this, Tom.

Luke
Unread 06-24-2005, 10:26 AM   #14
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I don't recognize the ebay user "handles" as members of the Lugerforum. Too bad they haven't researched the market before they start bidding on commonly available merchandise....

auction "frenzy" seems to get a lot of folks new to computers and the internet.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote