LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 12-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts
Default Source for Lanolin?

I've been seeing varous uses for Lanolin (Ed's Red, leather preservation, etc.). Where do I find the stuff?
DJU
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Mauser George
User

Here you go, it comes from sheeps wool!

George

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Allergy to wool alcohols
What are wool alcohols?
Wool alcohols are the principle component of lanolin in which allergens are found. Lanolin is a natural product obtained from the fleece of sheep. Sebum is extracted from the wool, cleaned and refined to produce anhydrous lanolin. This comprises 3 parts, wool alcohols, fatty alcohols and fatty acids. Currently the wool alcohols are considered the main sensitisers in lanolin but whether they are the sole sensitisers, needs further investigation. Nowadays there is also chemically modified lanolin that may be less sensitising than natural lanolin.

Wool alcohols, wool fat, anhydrous lanolin, lanolin alcohol, wool wax and wool grease are just some of the terms used interchangeably with lanolin. In this article we will use wool alcohols, as it is this fraction of lanolin that is the main cause of contact allergies.

What products contain wool alcohols?
Lanolin is a good emulsifier; this means it binds well with water thus it is particularly useful in the manufacture of pharmaceutical and cosmetic formulations. Wool alcohols are found in many pharmaceutical preparations, cosmetics and toiletries. They also have some industrial uses.
Mauser George is offline   Reply With Quote