LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 11-22-2017, 10:26 PM   #1
~bs
User

Default Valuation DWM Luger

Hello,

So I've been buying some guns on estate and I'd like to get an idea of what this gun is worth. The family wanted 1 grand on the gun and wouldn't budge. I rushed bought the gun, thinking I probably overpaid, but it did have a nice collector box, which I imagine was from the time it was imported into the US (given the "germany" mark). And the 50 round ammunition included with it is sealed (perhaps sealed later, not sure if they had plastics back then). Anyways, any more info on the gun and hopefully value at least equal to what I paid is appreciated!

Does the lower serial number (826) have any significance? Numbers on various parts of the gun all matching, as far as I can tell.

There appears to be rust starting on the side of the pistol, any recommended treatments or ways to mitigate this? The picture of the left side of the gun shows the rust spot. On the cover plate.

Why does certain parts of the gun appear to have a goldish hue? Is that tarnish? The right side of the gun mag ejector spot and part of the trigger. a lot lighter in color than in the picture. I posted this up on a different forum earlier trying to get a valuation, and someone mentioned it's something called straw due to the way the metal part was hardened.

Front and back of the grip shows wear, I think the picture adequately depicts it. The guy I bought the gun was a shooter, and he shot all his guns, even the collectible ones. I think the gun may have started off brand new or close to it in the collector box, but the wear on the grip and other areas are from the gun being used.

Is there any easy way to tell for certainty what caliber the gun is? It's not marked on the weapon itself as far as I can tell.

~bs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

It appears to be run-of-the-mill commercial "alphabet" Luger in .30 cal. Regarding the low serial number possibly increasing the value of the gun, no not really, but I'd like to see a good photo of the numbers on the front of the frame and particularly the marking just beneath.
I know nothing of the box, but it does present well and should be worth $1k with the 3 magazines, ammo, etc.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

We discuss many things including how to determine caliber in the FAQ document published free on this website. Follow the FAQ link at the top of the page.

It looks like a nice original DWM Alphabet Commerical Luger. The case is aftermarket, made by Pacific Canvas in the USA.

The pistol was made for commercial export from Germany. The gun's serial number is on the front of the frame and includes the suffix letter. If the suffix letter under the numeric digits has been damaged or obscured that would be a potential ATF issue, and drop value.

The serial number digits do not look like DWM dies, and it's very possible that the gun and the barrel has been renumbered. That would reduce the pistol to "Shooter" class, not collector class, and drop the value of the gun and one magazine to $700. If the numbers were changed or obscured, there could be ATF issues.

The grip wear does drop the value somewhat. I would reduce David's value estimate by at least $100. Case contributes $75 to value; Each magazine $90 to value

The golden color on parts is called "straw" and is normal. It's a form of fire / heat bluing.
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 11-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

bs, I feel that you got your money's worth for all the items shown in your photos. As previously requested, a clear photo of the suffix letter below the serial on your frame may be of interest. If the letter suffix has been over-stamped with a crown, this may indicate what was called a "Riff contract" which has never been proven to exist. Since no one knows for sure what this indicates, it at least does make it different from it's original normal commerical production. I suspect that this marking was modified by recipient country (?), to indicate their ownership, similar to the Finish SA marking to indicate army possession. This may be an area worthy of some research. TH
The following member says Thank You to Lugerdoc for your post:
Unread 11-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Please get us those close-up photos of markings!
dju
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 11-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #6
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Please get us those close-up photos of markings!
dju
And in "focus".
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 11-23-2017, 05:17 PM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

The frame suffix appears to be u (thus made in 1929) partially overstamped by a crown. Crown overstamping of the letter suffix is not common, there are several examples reported. the reason is unknown. It is not likely to be part of the Rif contract; it is suspected that the Rif guns are the s, t, and u suffix commercial police pistols without the DWM hallmark.

The grips on your pistol are not original.

For the pistol with the complete set of case and accessories, your cost was reasonable.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 11-26-2017, 02:08 AM   #8
~bs
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
We discuss many things including how to determine caliber in the FAQ document published free on this website. Follow the FAQ link at the top of the page.

It looks like a nice original DWM Alphabet Commerical Luger. The case is aftermarket, made by Pacific Canvas in the USA.

The pistol was made for commercial export from Germany. The gun's serial number is on the front of the frame and includes the suffix letter. If the suffix letter under the numeric digits has been damaged or obscured that would be a potential ATF issue, and drop value.

The serial number digits do not look like DWM dies, and it's very possible that the gun and the barrel has been renumbered. That would reduce the pistol to "Shooter" class, not collector class, and drop the value of the gun and one magazine to $700. If the numbers were changed or obscured, there could be ATF issues.

The grip wear does drop the value somewhat. I would reduce David's value estimate by at least $100. Case contributes $75 to value; Each magazine $90 to value

The golden color on parts is called "straw" and is normal. It's a form of fire / heat bluing.
Thanks, I really appreciate the information! I did try to look at some of the stickys, but I think I missed the caliber one.
Unread 11-26-2017, 02:09 AM   #9
~bs
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
And in "focus".
Sorry, I never really realized how difficult it was to take pictures of firearms before this!
Unread 11-26-2017, 02:17 AM   #10
~bs
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Gruber View Post
The frame suffix appears to be u (thus made in 1929) partially overstamped by a crown. Crown overstamping of the letter suffix is not common, there are several examples reported. the reason is unknown. It is not likely to be part of the Rif contract; it is suspected that the Rif guns are the s, t, and u suffix commercial police pistols without the DWM hallmark.

For the pistol with the complete set of case and accessories, your cost was reasonable.

--Dwight

Sucks about the grips. Do you think the bluing is original?

Any ideas on the rust mitigation? Should I just leave it, or shoudl I try to polish with brass wool

Below is the best I can do picture wise. Its really hard to tell if it's overstamped or something

Unread 11-26-2017, 03:54 AM   #11
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Active rust should be stopped ��
Bronze wool, or 0000 steel wool and oil, lightly used won’t hurt the bluing.

The box of ammo if full is worth about $50+
The tool with the handle is interesting and worth a bot more, loading tool $50
Amounts above close, so you did fine...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 11-26-2017, 03:57 AM   #12
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

I like it, I think it's a very nice DWM Alphabet Commercial LUGER with a nice case too, unortunately "commercial" pistols are hardly so interesting and priced as their military counterparts, FWICS you paid a fair price for pistol mags & case.

Welcome to our Luger community!
Unread 11-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #13
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

That's an interesting over-stamp. Thoughts?
dju
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 11-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
~bs
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Gruber View Post

--Dwight
Actually now that I'm looking at it again, I think you're right. and you saw it without the benefit of a clearer picture.

It basically looks like a cursive U, with the crown covering the bottom part of it.
The following member says Thank You to ~bs for your post:
Unread 11-27-2017, 03:11 AM   #15
m1903a3
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~bs View Post
<snip>
Why does certain parts of the gun appear to have a goldish hue? Is that tarnish? <snip>
No, not tarnish. Some small parts of the DWM Lugers were heat treated to a temperature that causes the parts to turn a yellow/gold hue called "straw". Typically the trigger, take down lever and safely are among the straw parts.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
m1903a3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #16
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I agree that this is the Crown overstamp on the original suffix letter. I'm surprised that none of the luger researchers have been able to determine why or by whom this was done. It's been my observation that the suffix letters that I seen overstamped like this were in the s,t & u blocks, which would put them in the 1928-29 BKIW production era. TH