LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Technical Help or Site Feedback

Closed Thread
Unread 10-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #1
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default Jan Still Forum Certificate Error

Not this forum, but Jan Still's forum over on GunBoards started generating "Certificate Error" this morning.

The mods there are aware of the problem, and trying to contact gunboards server managers.

The certificate it tried to serve me was for a Chrysler 200 forum site.

I won't log in to the site until this is resolved since the error could be associated with a hacking attempt. It's more likely to be a problem with the gunboards servers, but I tend to be conservative about these things.

I'll post here when I know it's resolved.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 10-05-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

I got that error message also this morning. With both MSIE and SeaMonkey [aka Mozilla].
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untrusted2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	78002  

Click image for larger version

Name:	untrusted.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	78003  

Unread 10-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

I have written a note on main gunboards and directly to a gunboards technical admin
Unread 10-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,590 Times in 930 Posts

This was posted on Still's forum, it's Greek to me, but maybe one of you younger guys might make some sense of it.
Norm

It's a bad certificate error. This likely a configuration issue with the ISP who hosts the forums.

More info:

"What does this mean?

We were able to retrieve a certificate for this site, but the domain names listed in it do not match the domain name you requested us to inspect. It's possible that:

The web site does not use SSL, but shares an IP address with some other site that does.
The web site no longer exists, yet the domain name still points to the old IP address, where some other site is now hosted.
The web site uses a content delivery network (CDN) that does not support SSL.
The domain name is an alias for a web site whose main name is different, but the alias was not included in the certificate by mistake. "

"Why is my certificate not trusted?

There are many reasons why a certificate may not be trusted. The exact problem is indicated on the report card in bright red. The problems fall into three categories:

Invalid certificate
Invalid configuration
Unknown Certificate Authority

1. Invalid certificate

A certificate is invalid if:

It is used before its activation date
It is used after its expiry date
Certificate hostnames don't match the site hostname
It has been revoked
It has insecure signature
It has been blacklisted

2. Invalid configuration

In some cases, the certificate chain does not contain all the necessary certificates to connect the web server certificate to one of the root certificates in our trust store. Less commonly, one of the certificates in the chain (other than the web server certificate) will have expired, and that invalidates the entire chain.
3. Unknown Certificate Authority

In order for trust to be established, we must have the root certificate of the signing Certificate Authority in our trust store. SSL Labs does not maintain its own trust store; instead we use the store maintained by Mozilla.

If we mark a web site as not trusted, that means that the average web user's browser will not trust it either. For certain special groups of users, such web sites can still be secure. For example, if you can securely verify that a self-signed web site is operated by a person you trust, then you can trust that self-signed web site too. Or, if you work for an organisation that manages its own trust, and you have their own root certificate already embedded in your browser. Such special cases do not work for the general public, however, and this is what we indicate on our report card.
4. Interoperability issues

In some rare cases trust cannot be established because of interoperability issues between our code and the code or configuration running on the server. We manually review such cases, but if you encounter such an issue please feel free to contact us. Such problems are very difficult to troubleshoot and you may be able to provide us with information that might help us determine the root cause.

SSL Report v1.36.1"
Unread 10-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I just checked, and was able to log in to the Jan Still forum without any certificate errors. Unfortunately, the certificate is still for the "200Forums.com" Chrysler 200 forums site.

the Jan Still forum is now listed as one of the alternate sites supported by the service provider's server certificate. The problem now appears resolved.

Marc

Last edited by mrerick; 10-08-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Closed Thread