LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 10-03-2022, 10:56 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default Like fighting the invisible man!!

Hi to all, well, sometime it just doesn't pay to get up in the morning! But, while range testing my artillery I was beset bt a host of other problems, and the worst of it is, i don't know what is the cause?
It started with noticing a bump on the receiver right above the extractor relief, and then I noticed the RH side ot the extractor cut on the breech block had a bit of a rise to it? I immeadiatly checked the firing pin retainer area, and it was fine? The extractor itself showed some metal movement on the LH side stop. My first thought was ammo that was too strong, but I quickly dismissesd that because over powered ammo would affect other aspects of the luger and would have no mechanical change where the extractor is concerned. So, I re-checked the head space, and it was perfect. So, in my mind, I could only suspect the firing pin protrusion, and a random primer piercing. I measured it and found it to be about .007" over the max. I have now adjusted that to middle correct .045" protrusion. Soooo, my question is, has any other forum members had this issue and the beginning of catastrophic failure? Anyway, the chase continues... best, til....lat'r.....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 10-03-2022, 11:46 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

Nope

But I've had a luger get all weird, I sent it to GT to fix
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 10-04-2022, 06:22 AM   #3
Deputywood
User

Photos?
Deputywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2022, 08:58 AM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default fix'en stuff!

Hi Ed and Deputywood, sorry no pictures! And I talked to G.T. and he said he can fix it! , just might take a'while! Still, kind of a puzzle.... I will report after next range test, right now, it going to be off to bass pros to find some winchester white box target ammo? Back to the basics... ... Best to all, til....lat'r....GT..
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 10-04-2022, 06:03 PM   #5
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

be VERY careful test firing that weapon.

do you have a weapons holding device in an enclosure which can be fired remotely...?

I'd fire a box of shell thru it before trusting it in my hand again.....

Tom
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to tomaustin for your post:
Unread 10-04-2022, 08:01 PM   #6
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default testing!

Hi Tom, I agree! I have replaced the barrel and breechblock, hopefully with the correct ammo and the reduced firing pin protrusion, we'll get by without incident... I'll know more tomorrow, range test in the am, Thanks and best to all, til....lat'r.....GT....
The following 3 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 10-06-2022, 01:34 AM   #7
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Range test results!

Hi to all, well, wasn't too bad, one failure to extract, but ran a few magazings full and had only the one failure? Going to address that going forward. But, repro Navy barrel had a bit too large of width and maybe depth on the extractor relief notch on the barrel, and the brass was slightly bulged? Not so much as it would be an issue, but too much for my liking. Worst part is I'm running out of quality parts? Soooo, I'm currently going to install an original 1906 Navy commercial 9MM barrel (rare as red frogs hairs!) with a .080" spacer to adapt the long tenon barrel to the short tenon receiver?...
By the way, primer strikes looked perfect, ammo was WW target 115 gr. ball, no pressure signs, all looked greast when done... More soon.. best, til...lat'r....GT ...
Unread 10-07-2022, 09:43 PM   #8
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default finally, some pos progress!

Hi to all! Well, what i ended up with was nice, but mongrel Navy shooter top end? I ended up replacing the barrel with a standard 6" standard barrel with the standared front sight base. So, I also installed a new front sight that is .300" high to compensate for the shorter front sight base... Also replaced the extractor spring with the stiffer one, and the range test thru 30 rounds was perfect! It's alive!!! And, I'm sending ot off to Rick so he has a nice shooter! Now, we are still not out of the woods, as I have to build an Artillery shooter top end as soon as I cure the rear sight hopping issue??? My hobbits are on it, and the mystery dilemma shall soon fall to my minions... In the meantime, he now has something to shoot..
One might ask, what seems to be the problem, well, you can look at it this way, when assembling a Luger from parts, there are two distinct types of parts, there are new parts and then there are good parts? As in Forest Gump, you never know what you're going to get?
Best to all, til....lat'r.....GT...
Unread 10-07-2022, 10:42 PM   #9
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,586 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Now, we are still not out of the woods, as I have to build an Artillery shooter top end as soon as I cure the rear sight hopping issue???
G.T., just an FYI.

Twenty eight years ago I bought a 1914 Erfurt Artillery Luger. It has a replacement side plate and locking bolt. All else matches. When I got it, I fired a magazine - 8 rounds - through it. Function was perfect.

Today it was fired 10 rounds. I wanted a friend to experience shooting an Artillery Luger with an Artillery stock on it so I let him fire five rounds after which I fired an additional five. Again, function was perfect. We were shooting a silhouette steel target 10.5 x 18" at 25 yards. His shots were pretty well centered. Mine went high as the rear sight had climbed to about the 200 meter setting. I gave it a good cleaning and oiling and it's been put away.

I'll likely never shoot it again but it certainly has the migrating rear sight problem.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post: