LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-06-2002, 11:51 PM   #1
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Phoenix Gun Show Report

I saw 6 or so Lugers, mostly junk. 3 OK P.38's about the right price, maybe a little high. A big bunch of Mauser C96, some with stocks and leather. The C96's were, for the most part, overpriced, but the quality was good.

I saw the nicest 1917 Navy and Artillary Lugers I have ever seen - bar none! They had matching magazines and as far as I could tell they were in mint condition. The owner had them as a tease (Not for Sale) along with a very nice Martz 45 (also primo, also not for sale)

Last, but certainly not least, I had a nice conversation with Fred Datig. We had a very nice talk about "Black Widows", as well as Lugers in general. He is a gentleman!!

Unread 04-07-2002, 12:16 AM   #2
Wm. "Pete" Ebbink

Default Black Widow Discussion...?

Hello Frank,

If your discussions with Mr.Datig regarding "Black Widows" was not too private, would you mind sharing some of those discussions ?

Unread 04-07-2002, 04:58 AM   #3
66mustang

Default I'd love to talk to him! Love his books (EOM)

Unread 04-07-2002, 10:35 AM   #4
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Pete, I'll paraphrase!! :)

and, of course, leave some things out. I asked Fred when the plastic (bakelite) grips first appeared on Military Mausers. His response was 1941, probably toward the middle. He mentioned as time goes by and more data is available, we get a better understanding of these topics. There was a bit more said off topic, but . . .

Unread 04-07-2002, 10:21 PM   #5
Aaron
Banned

Default Re: Phoenix Gun Show Report

I also had the pleasure of talking to Fed Datig at the show. He had three or four guns for sale, and said he was gradually disposing of his collection. He had one Luger, a 95% 1916 DWM artillery, fine tune sights front and rear, minty bore and inside, excellent grips, matching mag, a couple of thumb print sized areas of pitting on the right side of the receiver, very nice straw, but Fred opined that the straw might have been enhanced a bit. He asked $1650, and he also had a fair condition board stock for another $350. Anyway, Fred is not firm and is easy to deal with. I did buy what appeared to be a mint Swedish Lahti from him.

Unread 04-08-2002, 10:43 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Welcome back Frank, good to see you posting again!