LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-11-2002, 08:39 PM   #1
sam buscemi

Default Unnumbered frame

I am in possession of two WW2 era lugers, what I would call transitional lugers or out of sequence meaning lugers assembled by the factory with maybe a toggle or receiver from a different year or era of production but all the same it was produced by Mauser just with a part that may not seem to be of that particular era and time of production. My question,these guns have no serial numbers on the frame. Is there added value to be had here or simply a gun using a serial number from its receiver as it's identifying serial giving it no more value than if it had it on the frame? Any ideas.

Unread 04-11-2002, 08:45 PM   #2
66mustang

Default Re: Unnumbered frame

Sam, do they not possess a serial number at all?

Uusually if they are of mixed parts, then it is not considered a collectors piece and more of a "shooter'.

If you mean that they are Lugers that have been repaired / retrofitted by a factory such as Mauser or DWM, then that is a bit different. A good example is the Vickers Lugers, they were made from DWM parts.

Ed

Unread 04-11-2002, 08:57 PM   #3
sam buscemi

Default Re: Unnumbered frame

To give you an example of what I have. I have a 1940 byf - all matching for the exception the frame has no number on it.. Now from my research I can only find that Mauser secretly coded the lugers from 1941 and beyond not prior to that. Now I have a 1940 dated byf??? With no serial on the frame of course which has me confused. This gun is one of two I have, another is a 41 s/42 and come to think of it I have another but can't remember what it is but like the other two no numbers on the frame. Guns are as produced in excellent condition mint like. I can tell you they are not mismatched shooters. One of them is a rig with matching mags, tool and holster serialed to the gun. Any assistence would help me better understand what I have. Thanks