LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 11-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #1
Jasta2
User

Default Adding to one's collection

Just curious how you long time collectors add to your collections. trade mostly with other collectors, major gun auctions, put the word out you are looking for Lugers. A military and collector/dealer is well know in my part of NH. Every body knows him. He has purchased many very nice Lugers from walk ins. keeps some, sells the rest. Most all the pawn shops here in Fl. that sell guns, have contacts to call if a Luger comes into the shop. It's seems very tough to find a Luger outside of online auctions and online dealers like Simpson's Yep I know they are over priced. But I have purchased 4 Lugers from the forum members. All very nice and very fairly priced. I saw a couple of Lugers for sale at the Webster Flea Market about 3 years back, plenty of gun sellers there, the asking prices for mostly run of the mill Lugers in so-so condition, were pushing $2,000 Since those two, I've never have seen any more there. Maybe I should run an AD in the paper?
Jasta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #2
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Just be patient Bill, one by one those old time collectors are going to that big gun room in the sky. Some of the nicest guns in my collection came from this guy.
Norm
http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/n...e3f959292.html
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 11-06-2018, 06:40 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I've also found a number at gun shows in my area.

Some of the sellers have a very high opinion of very questionable (and non-collectible) Lugers, but "every so often a blind squirrel finds an acorn"...

I bought my rarest Luger at a local gun show.

I volunteer for my local state's gun rights organization, and often sit at their table talking with attendees. As a result I'm at a fair number of shows. The more you attend, the more you might find.

You do have to have studied Lugers and know what you're looking at when you encounter one. I've seen mismatched messes priced at $2500 at these shows, and Stainless Lugers from Mitchel priced over $5000. I also once saw some horrible refinish jobs being offered as "original" and "new"...

So, study at Luger university (buy some of the books) and bring your reference material.
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 11-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Jasta2
User

Forgot about gun shows. I seen a few Lugers at the shows I've attended. But again, most sellers are asking big $$$$. I do have a few Luger books and use them for reference. And of course, I attend the university of "Luger Forum" They have the best professors and a good library for reference. :-)
Jasta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2018, 07:52 PM   #5
rhinemann
User

I make regular contact with my local shops and give them pizza when they come up with a winner. I also attend as many shows that I can during the year. At the shows I pay close attention to tables that sellers specialize in other arms than German arms. I find a few of these sellers are not attached to arms they don't specialize and therefor tend to be more flexible in pricing. Cash is a big motivator in making a good deal come together.
rhinemann is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to rhinemann for your post:
Unread 11-06-2018, 08:58 PM   #6
HerrKaiser
User

At most of my local shows here in Ohio they seem to be reasonably priced (all matching Mauser guns in pretty good shape for around $1500 or so Usually)

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 11-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #7
sepp
New User

I've had good luck both buying and selling my collectible lugers through Simpson's Ltd. I have also seen an ad or two from Phoenix Investment Arms selling high quality lugers on consignment. I don't know anything about them so would be interested if anyone has had experience with them.
sepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2018, 11:54 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepp View Post
I've had good luck both buying and selling my collectible lugers through Simpson's Ltd. I have also seen an ad or two from Phoenix Investment Arms selling high quality lugers on consignment. I don't know anything about them so would be interested if anyone has had experience with them.
use the search function for dealers - such as above and you'll read plenty

---------
I have bought at larger gun shows - Louisville, Tulsa, Allentown - and many trades, buys and sells between other collectors and friends.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote