LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 11-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
Ben Evans
User

Default 1941 Holster

Good evening gents

I hopefully have a 1941 Black Widow coming to my possession and was looking for a 41 dated holster for it. Does anyone see any red flags with this holster at all? It looks ok to me but would like a second opinion

Cheers

Ben
Attached Images

Ben Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

Looks good to me...Of course one MUST see the inside.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Ben Evans
User

Cheers Jerry, I will ask for more pictures (or if I get it the site has a very good returns policy)

Cheers

Ben
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Ben Evans
User

Chaps, a couple of close up of the rear of the holster, they did send a picture of inside the flap but the file would not open so they are still to come
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_00321.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	37406  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_00331.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	37407  

Unread 11-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

I had one, until I decided to sell it together with the P08 "Black Widow".

Mine didn't have such a nice stitching at the back, and looked alltogether more used and abused, still yours seems quite good I would say.
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Ben Evans
User

Many thanks for that, I am trying to get a holster to match the gun, the gun is 90% blueing so hopefully I can get a really nice holster to fit the gun. Also on the gun the mag is aluminium based and same serial number to the gun. I have have been told that this indicates it is a earlier production one. If I get a spare mag for the holster would it be another aluminium buckle or a black based one? Or would it not matter?

Cheers

Ben
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Evans View Post
Many thanks for that, I am trying to get a holster to match the gun, the gun is 90% bluing so hopefully I can get a really nice holster to fit the gun. Also on the gun the mag is aluminium based and same serial number to the gun. I have have been told that this indicates it is a earlier production one. If I get a spare mag for the holster would it be another aluminium buckle or a black based one? Or would it not matter?

Cheers

Ben
Ben,

If you have a 41 byf with a matching aluminum based magazine, the only CORRECT magazine for the pistol is another aluminum based magazine with the same serial number on it and if your magazine does not have a plus (+) sign, it should have a + sign. If the magazine you have does have a + sign, the other matching magazine should NOT have a + sign.

Now, I am assuming that the magazine that you have with the matching serial number is of the correct model, which should be "extruded body and probably blued." It will also contain the designation P.08 on it plus manufacturer code and proofs.

The gun should have walnut grip panels. Black Bakelite grip panels and plastic body magazines appeared at the same time, around June 1941.

Ben, please accept that I am not trying to be pedantic but Mauser Never ever made a Black Widow gun. Never. They made Model P.08 pistols for the German forces and the specifications of these pistols evolved over the years in terms of finish, types of magazine and grip panels, etc.

Starting in roughly mid-1941, the specifications for the Model P.08 included Black Bakelite Grip Panels and the Type 6 magazine which had a black plastic un-numbered base. Previously manufactured parts which were in stock could be used up so the transition occurred over time.

A clever, very marketing oriented collector/dealer in the USA, believing that he could create an aura of mystery, terror, rarity, and hence higher selling price, devised the term Black Widow and its implied association with the SS and Gestapo and started pricing them higher in spite of the fact that well over 100,000 P.08s with these specifications were made. In other words its a very common gun and relatively easy to turn into a complete rig because the grips and the magazines are not serial numbered to the gun .

If you provide the serial number of the gun, complete with suffix, we can give you a better idea when it was made in the 1941 production cycle. And pictures are always welcome.

Hope this helps,

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to guns3545 for your post:
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Ben Evans
User

John, that is fantastic info thanks, the gun at the moment is being deactivated, it came from a veterans attic but it was still live (10 years in jail in the UK for that) so had to go straight to a place to be deactivated. The dealer who has the gun is a luger collector himself. he has described the gun as 90% blueing dated 1941 and made by BFY with the black bakelite grips. I dont have to buy it when I see it but if good I probably will if the condition is good

Many thanks

Ben
Unread 11-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
Ben Evans
User

One last picture but not very good
Attached Images