LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 04-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default Regarding Flaking~

I sometimes come across this term while describing a gun. What is it? What causes it? Where is it most likely to appear? How much can it detrack for the value of a gun? Can anything be done to mitigate its' appearance? ~~The same for pitting~ Only the barrel?
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
kurusu
User

Generally in a nickeled gun. The nickel finish has a tendency to flake of as it ages or is improperly cared.

How much will detract from value? Depends on your urge to get that specific gun.

The cure is to refinish.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 04-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I am referring mainly to lugers. Refinish would be my last resort. Luger Plastic Surgery~
Unread 04-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
I am referring mainly to lugers. Refinish would be my last resort. Luger Plastic Surgery~
Lugers original finish is blued. Bluing doesn't flake.

If it's nickeled it has already been refinished.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 04-14-2016, 12:29 AM   #5
Caferacer
User

Some Luger owners are kind of flaky
Caferacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2016, 02:04 AM   #6
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caferacer View Post
Some Luger owners are kind of flaky
As far as that goes, Luger owners can "be" just about anything else. There is quite a mix here--political, religious (or not), economic, vocational, degrees of experience, and age differences abound. And, yes, one gentleman, a fine and enthusiastic member, is a professional belly-dancer. I agree that some Luger owners may be flaky or irresponsible, but I think we would take all that in stride if at all possible. There certainly seems to be room for everything else!

Other forums can have massive infighting, flame wars, and just downright nasty stuff going on. One great thing about this forum is that we concentrate on what brings us together--our love of the Pistole Parabellum--and not on the things that divide us and drive us apart.
Unread 04-14-2016, 04:26 AM   #7
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
As far as that goes, Luger owners can "be" just about anything else. There is quite a mix here--political, religious (or not), economic, vocational, degrees of experience, and age differences abound. And, yes, one gentleman, a fine and enthusiastic member, is a professional belly-dancer. I agree that some Luger owners may be flaky or irresponsible, but I think we would take all that in stride if at all possible. There certainly seems to be room for everything else!

Other forums can have massive infighting, flame wars, and just downright nasty stuff going on. One great thing about this forum is that we concentrate on what brings us together--our love of the Pistole Parabellum--and not on the things that divide us and drive us apart.
I totally agree with David, of course here we are talking about people who share a common interest for a pistol generally considered a bit "special", although most of us have interests also in other firearms like 1911s (me), or Nambus, or rifles.
Unread 04-14-2016, 06:00 AM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

David and Sergio---Well said!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 04-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #9
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

It is truly an honor and privilege to be a part of our family! My safe space~
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 04-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

I recall a couple threads here about the blue finish 'flaking'. It seems to refer to irregularly shaped areas where the bluing has disappeared. A Search turned up three pages where 'flaking' appears in the threads. Some refer to the bluing -

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=34026&
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 04-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #11
Eugen
User

As a noob, I am glad to hear some of the terms explained that I encounter in my readings. Check on the flaking thing, I've got that figured out. Well, sort of.

It took me a while to eventually figure what the heck "straw" meant. Now I've moved on to "frost in the barrel". What's dat?
Eugen is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Eugen for your post:
Unread 04-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #12
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugen View Post
As a noob, I am glad to hear some of the terms explained that I encounter in my readings. Check on the flaking thing, I've got that figured out. Well, sort of.

It took me a while to eventually figure what the heck "straw" meant. Now I've moved on to "frost in the barrel". What's dat?
Eugene,

I cannot give you a metallurgical answer but I can tell you why it occurs.

In early days, i.e. prior to the 50's, all military ammunition used mercury fulminate based primers which is very corrosive. BTW, the US Armed forces were still using corrosive WWII ammunition into the early 60s.

In order to neutralize the mercury, barrels were cleaned with swabs dipped in ammonia. However the ammonia itself can cause a chemical reaction with the metal so you needed to get it out almost immediately. So, most time, you used soapy water to neutralize the ammonia and clean out the barrel.

Then, you dried and lubricated your weapon with whatever oil or lubricant was issued to you.

NOW, if you did not get out the ammonia. it caused "frosting", i.e. a light mildly corrosive film in the bore. A whitish film like the frost.

Now, frosting is not that bad. Doesn't eat away the lands and grooves like true corrosion from the mercury, but it is a sign of improper cleaning and maintenance of the weapon.

AND to Eric:

Pitting, which is severe; and freckling, i.e. tiny dots of corrosion, occurs around the muzzle, the bore itself and the breechblock, is typically caused by the action of the corrosive primer; again, when the weapon is not properly maintained. The mercury literally eats away the finish and metal if it is not removed, neutralized and lubricated. Pitting on wide spread external surfaces can also be caused by improper storage, blood and other acidic actions. As always improper care is the culprit.

WARNING!! Pitting, especially severe, unlike frosting, can cause damage to barrel, making it unsafe and be a hazard to most human beings who tend to be susceptible to coming in contact with hot flying metal particles, like exploding barrels.

Hope this helps.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to guns3545 for your post:
Unread 04-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #13
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thank You John, an excellent explanation on an important subject!! Were the Germans issued individual luger cleaning kits like the Swiss? It amazes me that any of the early military lugers even survived!!
Unread 04-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #14
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
Thank You John, an excellent explanation on an important subject!! Were the Germans issued individual luger cleaning kits like the Swiss?
Eric,

Sorry! Don't have much experience with foreign powers cleaning techniques and equipment.

Maybe others can chime in.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #15
CJS57
User

Flaking as used by Winchester and Colt and S&W collectors refers to the blue simply peeling or flaking off like an old paint job. In those guns it happens on a Carbonia blue that is a heat process of bluing. Lugers normally were rust blued or dip blued and those types do not flake. The area below the hammer of the Winchester pictured is classic flaking. The receiver is totally flaked everywhere else! Incredibly the metal remains smooth as glass to the touch.
[IMG][/IMG]
CJS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to CJS57 for your post:
Unread 04-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #16
Eugen
User

CJS57, thank you for demonstrating that "a picture is worth a thousand words". That's a great example to explain that term.
Eugen is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Eugen for your post:
Unread 04-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #17
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS57 View Post
Flaking as used by Winchester and Colt and S&W collectors refers to the blue simply peeling or flaking off like an old paint job. In those guns it happens on a Carbonia blue that is a heat process of bluing. Lugers normally were rust blued or dip blued and those types do not flake. The area below the hammer of the Winchester pictured is classic flaking. The receiver is totally flaked everywhere else! Incredibly the metal remains smooth as glass to the touch.
That's very interesting... I have seen the same type of aging on carbon blued Colt pistols, and assumed that this type of bluing doesn't bond to the metal and "become part of it" like rust bluing and modern caustic bluing. I actually mentioned this on the Colt forum a while back, but the "experts" there said that it can't flake off. This is what sets this forum apart from other forums: Practical experience and knowledge, instead of people just "stating their opinions".
The following member says Thank You to Olle for your post: