LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-29-2001, 08:50 PM   #1
Kyrie
User

Default Marvin's Sheet Metal Mauser Revolver

Hi folks,

Marvin's Mauser sheet metal 9 mm Parabellum revolver stumped me too. Luckily, I have a friend and fellow collector in Germany who is fabulously knowledgeable

I sent him a copy of the picture and he responded that it was not a real firearm, but an artist's rendition from a German journal. In reality, there was a F�¼hrer's order in 1944 to develop a 9mm Parabellum revolver that could be cheaply made. Prototypes were made, were captured at end of war, and ended up in the official British collection, the pattern room. They were destroyed by idiots when this installation was under military control in the 1960's, and there are no known surviving examples (hence the artist's rendition in the journal).

Sigh...

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 03-29-2001, 09:09 PM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: Marvin's Sheet Metal Mauser Revolver

Kyrie,

Thanks for the information on the Sheet Metal revolver. This was such a unique pistol I had to post it for others to see. I is a shame we have people who destroy these valuable artifacts of history.

marvin

Unread 03-30-2001, 10:38 AM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Don't forget guys that gun ownership in Britain is so restricted

that it causes many citizens who enjoy this hobby to live somewhere else (Remember that Patrick is a citizen of the UK and lives in Berlin! He wouldn't be able to own his prize Lugers in the UK unless they were permanently made non-functional)

I think that the mentality of the UK citizenry in general regarding personal firearms ownership has been so damaged that when the custodians of the famous Pattern Room ran out of room to appropriately display their holdings that the "lesser" of the artifacts had to go. Since there is probably no mechanism in the UK for such things to be sold surplus to the population, they probably had no choice but to de-militarize (that term makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up!) the "extra" items.

just my $0.02,

John

Unread 03-30-2001, 04:28 PM   #4
Patrick
User

Default Re: Don't forget guys that gun ownership in Britain is so restricted

It�´s not much better here in Berlin. The National Arms Collection (Zeughaus) has been closed for many years and the collection (including many Lugers) has "gone missing". Patrick

Unread 03-30-2001, 04:52 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Patrick, perhaps they need a volunteer "curator" to care for them!

I was thinking of you. You could use the experience to write a great book on the collection and take a million pictures for posterity!

the WORST they can say is Nein, and they might even say YA. It would be almost as much fun as old airplanes eh?

-John

Unread 03-30-2001, 05:26 PM   #6
Mark
Banned

Default Re: Patrick, perhaps they need a volunteer "curator" to care for them!

Britain apparently believes that no one, including the military, should be armed. Case in point is their standard military rifle, the bullpup SA85 (or some such number) which is not a real reliable weapon with crappy sights. I guess they don't want the misunderstood enemy to "feel their pain". If it wasn't for the US the whole world would be Communist now. Almost would have been with 4 more years of "Klintoon".

Unread 03-31-2001, 03:31 PM   #7
Patrick
User

I dunno. I�´m thinking of leaving for home (Orkney). I�´d have to get rid of some nice Lugers though. The bullpup carbine is much improved. It was really auful at first. You�´ve got to give the enemy a chance. I don�´t know about the US saving the world.Especially not in Yugoslavia. Patrick

Unread 04-01-2001, 01:09 PM   #8
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts

Hi Patrick! Over the last eight years we could barely save ourselves, It seems that we do really well when the other side wears uniforms and stands out in the open, we have a little trouble with guerilla types! If somebody wants to stand up and be snotty, the US will cross two oceans to shoot them! Probably won't be to long before we get the urge.....I hope not! till...later....G.T.