LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 05-04-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
SDguy
User

Default 1938 S/42 Luger loose grip question

Although the screw is tightened, The left grip on my S/42 is a little loose at the top. Is there a fix someone would suggest. The grips are original and matching to pistol.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #2
Michigan Gunner
User

The grip can be shimmed. BUT, I would only do it on a shooter grade luger. Any stress on the old wood can cause it to crack. The left grip tends to crack in the upper right hand corner. A small piece of the grip can break off there. I have heard this called the "Magic Chip" since it happens so often.

Others here may know more.

Lock and Load
Michigan Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #3
tharpo
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Try cutting off a little piece of rubber band and putting it where the frame and the wood meet. It is usually the right grip that is loose for me.
tharpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

A luger grip is generally held down on the frame by the screw at the bottom and to the extent it tucks in at the top. The grip scale is retained laterally by the contours routed into its back side, which snuggle into the openings on the frame beneath.

If the grip shucks around, it's because it's shrunk a bit and there's room for it to move before the protruding areas on the back encounter the areas on the frame that limit its travel. Shooting the gun applies forces that press the grip forward with each shot. This can compress the wood, which i turn allows lateral play/looseness. Artfully adding a sliver of wood or a bead of clear epoxy to fill the gap is the best approach, IMHO.

The "million dollar chip" results when the left grip scale is able to be pressed far enough forward that the wood behind the safety lever is pushed against the lever's shaft with each shot. It is also my opinion that his is far more often the cause of the chip than the touted careless removal of that grip panel. So make certain your left grip is good and snug, and that there's a whisker of clearance between it and the rear of the safety lever's shaft.
Unread 05-05-2021, 05:33 PM   #5
Stu
User

I use a small strip of electrical tape over the top edge of the grip to firm up a loose grip. Many variations on the theme to achieve the same end.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #6
Michigan Gunner
User

Another thing that can be tried is to steam the grip. This will swell the grain and give it a better fit.

Lock and Load!
Unread 05-06-2021, 10:37 AM   #7
Proofed
User

The explanation by ithacaartist is the best one I've heard. I don't think as many grips are chipped by improper removal than the removal of an already cracked grip makes it appear that way. I think the "million dollar chip" is more the result of a slightly loose grip being jammed against the safety lever and cracked by firing the weapon.
Proofed is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Proofed for your post:
Unread 05-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #8
4 Scale
User

This topic has been dealt with extensively in past threads, do a search. The basic answer is well explained in post #4 by ithacaartist - add flexible/compressible material. The wood has shrunk; wood is hydroscopic and absorbs or sheds moisture depending on its environment.

I purchased a small sheet of 1/32 nitrile rubber years ago for shimming grips and it works perfectly.

While adding moisture via steam or other methods might swell the wood and thereby tighten fit, such a fix will likely be temporary. And introduction of moisture creates its own issues.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 05-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #9
spangy
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,047 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale View Post
While adding moisture via steam or other methods might swell the wood and thereby tighten fit, such a fix will likely be temporary. And introduction of moisture creates its own issues.
100% AGREE and the use of steam in an aggressive manner may well cause cracking on its own ... I would not advise it unless under controlled conditions.

I soak my loose grips in warmed walnut oil to replenish the wood naturally.
WTB - Take Down Lever & Trigger Plate (#90) for an Imperial Artillery.
spangy is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to spangy for your post:
Unread 05-06-2021, 04:56 PM   #10
4 Scale
User

My own research on preserving Luger grips indicates strongly against the addition of hardening oils, which include 'nut'' oils like linseed and walnut oil. For wood objects that will be subject to hard use, there is, or was, a case to be made that hardening surface treatments at the start of service life help protect. However when the objective becomes preservation, hardening oils should be avoided.

This is long but pretty good. https://www.si.edu/mci/english/learn.../coatings.html An excerpt:

"Another instance of a traditional material being inappropriate for finish care is linseed oil or other drying oils. Oils crosslink with age, which means that they are not easily removed, and under some circumstances may darken considerably. A finish undergoing a chemical reaction which turns it very dark and makes it difficult to remove, is a problem indeed."

Also see https://www.antiquetrader.com/furnit...th-linseed-oil

Luger grips are made of hardwood which is a very tough material. That grips can survive repeated hardening oil treatment or even more damaging substances does not mean those those substances are beneficial.
Unread 05-07-2021, 08:14 AM   #11
Major Tom
User

I have used small O-rings under the screw head and snugged the screw down; works good for me.
Unread 05-10-2021, 08:37 PM   #12
Michigan Gunner
User

I tried using the "O" Ring on my 1937 DWM Shooter. I worked great!

Lock and Load!
Unread 05-20-2021, 01:04 PM   #13
WWII Luger
User

lots of good ideas i here. I will have to remember them if my grips become loose
Unread 05-31-2021, 04:20 PM   #14
Michigan Gunner
User

I read that most Lugers (Maybe All?) came with a leather washer under the grip screw. I made one from leather and oiled it. I place it under the grip screw of my 1916 DWM. That took all the looseness out of the grip. It worked as well as a rubber washer did.

Mike
Unread 06-01-2021, 11:32 PM   #15
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

No Lugers left the factory with leather, or any other washers under the screws.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 06-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #16
4 Scale
User

While leather meets the compressibility criteria mentioned above, it can foster rust propagation over time (knowledgable collectors advise do not store pistols in leather holsters). Compounds like rubber et al do not foster rust.
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 06-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #17
Michigan Gunner
User

Good Point. It's on my shooter luger and will be replaced with a synthetic washer soon. It's soaked in oil so OK for now.

Lock and Load!