LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 02-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #21
LugerMan.com
User

Default Thanks for the input

Thanks for input everyone,
let me address all the points that where listed:

1. Price points:
Standard 1905 45 ACP will be around $12k-13k
Navy Model 1905 45 ACP will be around $13k-14k
Artillery Model 1905 in 45 ACP will be $14k-15k
Carbine 1905 45 ACP will be $17k-18k

Multiple orders will get 5% discount
FFL orders will get 10% discount

2. Timing: I do have a machinist working for me now. He is helping me out when i need some small parts made, that can not be found. Artillery barrels is one of them. He is just not a full time with me now. But that can change if i find more for him to do. I do have a shop with industrial tooling. So making parts is not a problem.
I am an engineer by trade , so i can estimate production cost and time. I am thinking that withing a year time i will have all parts that a re needed made.
Then it will take about a 2-3 weeks for the first gun to show up.
And the last will show up withing a 1 year . So i take it full production cycle for 20 guns is 2 years with one man working full time on it.. I hire a second machinist for a second shift on the mill, i can cut production by 30% or so.

I know almost everything there is to know about luger functioning, so I am sure i can make then work reliably. Or at least as good as original was working. ;0)

If you been on my site and have seen or purchased carbines from me, you know that metal work is done right.

I made some small parts for 1900 Model including triggers and extractors.

My plan is to do the same as Mike K did, and first production gun will go to Guns and Ammo for a show and tell.

My press , or bed press anyways ... is all about time lines.
Find someone complaining about quality and then we will talk.

There will be a legal notarized contract, that will secure down payment funds and timeline.

I just need small amount of people willing to invest there money in to a a dream.

And I will get my machinist busy full time.
I an even report on the progress made.

And yes the frame is the hardest, and i will start with that, because if that is done the rest is not a problem.

I think it will take 4 month to produce 20 frames , so all of initial investors will know when the frames are done.

3. As far as Cone hummers and other guns, it's interesting that it came up so quickly. As I was thinking exactly same way. Every one reproduces revolvers , but no one goes for auto reproductions. I'd take on Mannlichers , Cone and other turn of the century guns.

But i think Luger 45 ACP is so iconic , that it's the only gun that people will pay 15k and up for .

All and all i see support as well as some natural skepticism. I hope love for collector guns will overcome the fear.

Because as crazy as i am , i will not be able to do this in a vacuum.

By the number of responses in one day, I take it it' s a hot topic.

Thanks.
LugerMan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #22
LugerMan.com
User

Default Leery once ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
I would be leery about sending 1/2 down and a 2 year wait on a possible project.

Make one first and show people it exists.

No offense, but you have negative feedback on this forum and Jan Still's forum for being unresponsive and slow in turn around.

Ed
I think for the leery once we can arrange something like that:
Frames wil be done first, as a hardest part. it takes 4-5 moth for 20 of them to be made. So Let's say to get the frames going, $1000 down payment will work.
Then another $1000 to produce the 20 slides.
After the two main parts are done , and they are looking good , i will take a full down payment.

If something does not work out or timelines are slipping, leery once will be able to opt out from the project without penalty.. and without an option to come back in it at the advertised price.

We will make it work for everyone. Skeptics are welcome, I like the challenge. Judgmental once need not apply. ;0)
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #23
LugerMan.com
User

Default 2nd taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared427 View Post
I'm interested, what do you think a ballpark figure would be? Also a matching snail drum would be pretty sweet!

Good a second person knowing what they want out of life.

I think a snail drum is a bit hard .
I do not have a press and that drum is all stamped.

Making mags will be a challenging as it is.

I may contact Mac-Gar to make the mags, as they are doing such a good job with the 9mm mags. I think they are the best on the market.

But 2 people willing to start the project is 10% of the people i need to get it going.
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #24
LugerMan.com
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
Just as an afterthought, at $2.5K I do not think it would be unreasonable to stipulate exclusive rights to the blueprints/measured drawings. That way you would eliminate competition unless you further licensed the drawings, and if for some reason you could not go into production you could recoup your investment in the drawings if someone else wished to take up the project.
If you really want to attract potential buyers, you need to establish a price point for the three variations. This will require realistic estimation of production costs and realistic production time. Investors need to have some assurance they will be guarenteed a gun as specified in a timely manner. I think a two to three year lead for production is reasonable. To be informed after two years on a waiting list that it will be another two years until delivery would not be a good marketing practice.
You have a point, there.
But i think that if any one as crazy as i am, we can team up and split the production instead. Competition in this field is next to nothing... I welcome it.
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #25
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Eugene..that it's the only gun that people will pay 15k and up for .

You must realize that Mike Krause has had .45 Lugers for sale for many years. The 15 K you so easily speak of is exactly why only 50 or so were ever sold by him. All of the 15 K buyers are accounted for. I would assume this is why Mike is no longer producing them at that price.
To sell ANY type of .45 Luger the price must be whittled down to much less than 15. It MAY NOT be possible to get it low enough to sell to the blue collar masses.
20 frames in 4 months? Unless you have the services of GE, Raytheon or Boeing you may NEVER produce a frame on your own much less 5 a month.
Before you speak of money down and contracts...I would think it through a little more.
I just happen to be privy to another effort along this line and after MANY thousands of dollars the .45 Luger frame is what stopped the project DOA.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #26
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Jerry,
The thing that killed the effort you are referencing was an attempt to use an advanced form of injection molding that would have required virtually no, or very little, finish machining. The tolerances required for such a process could not be achieved with the molds produced, even after several expensive tries. The process hoped to bring down the production costs to the point where a .45 Luger could have been produced in the $3000-$5000 range. That was an ambitious goal, but I think a price point in the range of $8,000-$10,000 may be marketable. Much more than that may be a hard sell.

Using CNC machining and extensive hand finishing like Mike Krause employed can produce probably 3 or 4 acceptable frames a month with concerted effort. I may be over estimating the effort required, but I agree that 20 frames in 4 months is perhaps optimistic. However, I am not in the business and Eugene is. It is his decision and that is why I encourage him to exercise every consideration for objective analysis.

It is his windmill at which to tilt. It only behooves all parties involved to go in to it with open minds and a friendly exit strategy if necessary. Those of faint heart and shallow pockets (me!) need not participate!
Unread 02-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #27
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Why not contact Bob Morrison, the President of Taurus in Miami Lakes, Florida? They have extensive experience with injection molding metal parts and were producing parts for many of the knock-off 1911 pistol manufacturers out there until I talked him into producing their own. I have not spoken to Bob in some time, but the project might intrigue him.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #28
pors12
User

Hi,

Which machine tools are you using to start such a "Hardcore"
project ......
I am working on a very similar project, just as an hobby, and
I can tell you even with our tools we have in our day´s it
is not a "piece of cake" building a parabellum pistol ......

best regards

Otto
pors12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #29
LugerMan.com
User

Default 20 frames in 4 month

When i say 20 frames in 4 month,
I am talking about completing milling operations in 4 month and having 20 85-90% complete frames in my hands.
Several operations will need to be done by hand, same way the old lugers where done.

If i fail with a manual mill, I have a friend with a CNC shop, that may be able to do it quicker.

The mill i have a 3 ton, industrial machine, that is capable of much more then frames.

The person working for me, has experience building honeycomb satellite telescopes that are still in space today. He worked in the experimental machine shop that had contracts like that.
It was 30 years ago... but he is good.

Yes it's not going to be a piece of cake, and i may attempt to make one frame first, just to see what type of problems will come across.

Last edited by LugerMan.com; 02-15-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #30
alvin
User

Jerry said exactly what I was thinking. $15K 45ACP Luger's market has saturated. Another wave of supply won't create more buyers unless the price is way lower.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #31
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Food for thought. A friend of mine set up a first-class small factory for high end trap guns years ago. A great business until money got so tight, then the customer list shrunk. The last I knew he had a complete manuracturing operation that was not being used to capacity, and he was making accurate parts from original drawings for the 1911 Colt century guns offered by some high-end gun shops.
The point I am making is that there is a wealth of talent and machinery out there should one seek to use outside providers for certain parts, be it frames, side plates, or whatever.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #32
LugerMan.com
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
... The process hoped to bring down the production costs to the point where a .45 Luger could have been produced in the $3000-$5000 range. That was an ambitious goal, but I think a price point in the range of $8,000-$10,000 may be marketable. Much more than that may be a hard sell.
I think 3k-5k is not possable price point.

As i estimate production cost of 20 guns at about 2 years.

That translates in about :
100K of labor costs
20K or rent
10K of bills
15-20K of material and tools
All and all making it a $150K project.

If i market them at 10K each then we talking about 25K of profit a year.

That's not much to speak off, considering the unknown factors of the project.

So the 15K price comes from the fact that, i will only find 10-12 clients willing to prepay, the rest of guns will wait for the takers.

My math may be off 15-20% one way or the other.
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #33
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Eugene, I hate to be the one to throw cold water on your ambitious project, but as one business man to another, I have to tell you that you have a very serious image problem. If one does a search on LugerMan on either forum, the words "theft", "fraud", "attorney" and "police" keep cropping up. I'm prepared to believe that you are an honest fellow, a fine craftsman and that all these complaints were due to a failure to communicate, but I think that your expectation that you would find "10 to 12 clients willing to prepay", is wildly optimistic. Best regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #34
LugerMan.com
User

Default constructive skeptical comments are welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norme View Post
Hi Eugene, I hate to be the one to throw cold water on your ambitious project, but as one business man to another, I have to tell you that you have a very serious image problem. If one does a search on LugerMan on either forum, the words "theft", "fraud", "attorney" and "police" keep cropping up. I'm prepared to believe that you are an honest fellow, a fine craftsman and that all these complaints were due to a failure to communicate, but I think that your expectation that you would find "10 to 12 clients willing to prepay", is wildly optimistic. Best regards, Norm

Norme,

Well there is some truth in your words.
When you deal with people it's hard to stay on everyone's good side.

out of 500+ projects i have done over the years. I see 3 or 4 bad feedback, of people that are tired of waiting.

I can understand them.

But i address all that in my previous posts.

On the other side. If i do not take a down payment from YOU,

Are you willing to pay $17K for a complete project that is ready to go ?

If the answer is you do not care for it one way or the other....

Then it means you are just not interested all together.

Bad rep goes two ways .... if i had a client that was tired of waiting , that was happy with he end product...
But for some reason decided that bad rep is worth posting, but a good result is not so much.
Guess what next project from that client will have to go somewhere else .. as i as meany of us , do not need an extra aggravation in life.

If you try to do a good job and put an extra effort, and all you get is... oh it's taking you too long ... well no appreciation = no desire to do the job anymore.

And believe me the restoration business is not a money making machine , so as the 45 ACP project.

I do have all the tools i need and all the money i need to make one for myself , and may be that's what i will do... if i do not get the client base needed for small batch.

Like i sad before , constructive skeptical comments are welcome, judgmental calls i can do myself all day long.

Thanks.
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #35
LugerMan.com
User

Default Active post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norme View Post
Oh , and:
This post generated some interest, and it's been up for 2 days.
That tells me that a client base for 45ACp luger is not dried up ...
Just needs a little push getting there.

And by push I mean attractive pricing ...
Unread 02-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #36
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country

Here's my idea for the measurements (specs): Borrow one of the others (from one of the owners - we already know who one is) and take the measurements as needed and put them down on paper. What's that worth?
I think I'll try to get in line for first one & then the other. I want both.
Best wishes.
Jack
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #37
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Besides the difficulties that are inherant in frame production..another difficulty I see with this whole enterprise is the INVESTMENT aspect.

Once a potential buyer has invested his money..it will be spent in an effort to produce with absolutely NO guarentee of success. The only guarentee is that more & more money must be poured into production costs in the HOPE that a positive outcome will eventually emerge.

Sounds like a trip to Las Vegas. Or the stock market.

One other comment..Many of the collectors we associate with are getting somewhat long of tooth..A 2-4 year wait could be meaningful to many.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 02-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #38
LugerMan.com
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAP Black View Post
Here's my idea for the measurements (specs): Borrow one of the others (from one of the owners - we already know who one is) and take the measurements as needed and put them down on paper. What's that worth?
I think I'll try to get in line for first one & then the other. I want both.
Best wishes.
Jack
If any one can produce the blue print for a 45 ACP Luger or just frame and slide blue print or parts...
They can get first dips on production items at discounted rates.
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #39
LugerMan.com
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post

Sounds like a trip to Las Vegas. Or the stock market.

Well , i am confident in my ability and ability of people that are working for me , that this can be accomplished.

In my eyes, what ever was possible 100 years ago is definitely possible today.

The idea of getting investors money step by step is more to make them comfortable with the idea.

W'd not you all agree, that the frame is the hardest part.
And after that's over , the rest is not so hard?

That is why , i can say , let's go with a 1000 down payment on the frames.

Let me produce them, present them to the world and go from there.

Actually after thinking about it... will it be better if i make one frame to prove it can be done, and after that skepticism will change to hope ?

Problem is, for that effort, i do need a set of blue prints for the frame.
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #40
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

"Well , i am confident in my ability and ability of people that are working for me , that this can be accomplished.

In my eyes, what ever was possible 100 years ago is definitely possible today."

If you look at what John Browning made in his small workshop in the late 1800's you could be right.

I wish you good luck in this...

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)