LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 09-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
Fazer
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default 1914 Mauser

I have a WWI era, 1914, no banner, one line adress, milled slot on right side. SN 195744. Can anyone tell me the year of manufacture. Also is there a list of proof and inspectors marks for this era. Thank you
Fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Chip,

Yours is an early post war commercial. #186703 was produced in 1919, so yours is approx. 1920-21 I would think. The only proof should be a Crown over a U. The standard commercial proof. Is yours stamped with a "1920" property mark?

Ron

I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #3
Fazer
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Ron,

Thanks for that.
I was under the impression, don't know from where, that the one line, non banners were stopped in 1919. Now I know. Can't see any marks, other than the Crown U proof, and a bunch of inspectors marks under the grip.

Funny thing is, you can see the outline on the holster where some one put on what looks like a tin eagle. WWII style. Yet the gun came out of a cigar box at my grandmothers house, with a couple of WWI iron crosses. This may of influanced my belief it was earlier made.

Chip
Fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
Ron Smith
User

Chip,

It may well have seen service in WWII. Officers were required to purchase their own sidearm. This could have been a private purchase bya junior officer in the Weimar Reichsheer who went on to serve in WWII or was recalled to active duty.

The medals could have been taken from the same officer if he served in WWI. Or even taken from other soldiers upon surrender. None of this can be ruled out.

As for the "tin eagle", it's not likely that a German soldier would use an official insignia to decorate his holster. This practice is known to have been very common amongst U.S. GIs with capture weapons. And probably the same with Australian and other Allied soldiers.

Of course after serving with the Australians in Vietnam, I'm certain that Aussies wouldn't be so bold or assuming as to "bolster their brag "with enemy decorations.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote