LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
CopperK9
User

Default 1939 Mauser Luger 42 code

Bought my first Luger the other day, unfortunately we have a 7 day wait in my state for handguns so don't get to pick it up til next week.
Looking for a little more information and approximate value on it. Year 1939 with the Mauser code of 42, from what I could see all the parts had matching serial number of "04" matching the 4 digit serial number. 3 eagle stamps by the barrel. Came with a brown holster and two magazines, one looks original, other is aftermarket. Some of the bluing is worn off at wear points on the side but otherwise looks to be in good condition. Paid $1200. Seemed to be a decent price from what I've seen online but I'm no expert. Wasn't looking for anything perfect, just a decent gun that can be shot occasionally.
What does the brown leather mean? I'm used to seeing all the WW2 German gear in black only.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get to pick it up. Any advice or info is much appreciated, thanks!
CopperK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to CopperK9 for your post:
Unread 04-05-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Sounds like you done well, but photos are where we start.
Brown vs. black means nothing.
Let's see those photos once the gun is landed. Practice your photo skills in the mean time.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
Major Tom
User

I had the same Mauser luger as yours. Mine had been expertly reblued and bore was frosted. It was very accurate tho and very attractive. I sild it with 2 spare non original magazines, a 1939 holster and a special made display box featuring inlays (German iron cross 1939) on lid plus a swastica auto pendant flag along with a genuine 1939 German coin and a brass tag stamped with year, code 42 and Mauser. All numbers matched too. I got $1700 for it.
I think you did very well price wise.
Unread 04-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Congrats on your first Luger.....it likely won't be your last. Since you are new to this "game", there are many numbers that you can not see until you break the gun down and examine it. The Stickys at the top are filled with tons of information.....enjoy.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi Lindsey, and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your first Luger.

Sounds like you may have found a collectible Luger at an excellent price. Good pictures will help members here confirm that. If not, you have one of the best Lugers for shooting. I have an all matching 1937 Mauser made Luger with some finish problems on the receiver that I use. A matching Mauser made Luger should have excellent factory fit trigger and components if it hasn't been messed with.

While you're waiting, you may like a copy of our forum's FAQ PDF document. Just follow the FAQ link at the top of every forum page.
Unread 04-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #6
CopperK9
User

Thanks for all the replies, I will make sure to post pics as soon as I pick it up.
The following member says Thank You to CopperK9 for your post:
Unread 04-07-2020, 02:28 AM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Congratulations and welcome to the forum...and the mania. Once the pulse is quickened by a Luger, it's usually too late.
Unread 04-10-2020, 10:47 AM   #8
CopperK9
User

Just picked it up, everything appears matching sn, holster is dated 1940. Came with extra mag with is obviously aftermarket and I think the take down took is too, looks used but no markings. The magazine looks very old but can only see fxo on it and no other markings though it appears to match the gun as far as wear/age. The gun is in good working shape but the bluing is pretty worn. Rifling looks good. Grips are worn but no chips, can’t see sn but they match the rest of the gun in wear so also guessing they are original. Now to figure out how to post pics...
Unread 04-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #9
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Take your time, it's already 80 years old. YouTube can be of assistance with the disassembly process if help is needed. And the FXO magazine is period correct Nazi stuff.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2020, 01:23 PM   #10
CopperK9
User

So I field stripped it and am appalled by how dirty the thing is inside! Every piece of the gun is matching, firing pin, trigger, barrel, action parts. The magazine is missing the 4 numbers on the bottom but matches the rest of the gun as far as wear and is marked FXO with eagle stamp 3 and 37. The grips are well worn as well, no cracks but all I can find on them is "S". The action passes the tuning fork test. Luckily there was enough grease/oil left in it to prevent rust or corrosion but this looks like it has not been cleaned in a very, very long time. Can I clean this gun like any other gun with gun oil?
Unread 04-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #11
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Yes.....You can use any standard gun cleaner and oil for your new Luger. I would NOT oil the grips though, as that can cause a problem. You can clean the grips with a soft toothbrush and a bit of time. We have stickys on cleaning the grips.......many ways to do it.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2020, 03:54 PM   #12
HerrKaiser
User

"Can I clean this gun like any other gun with gun oil?"

Pretty much, I do not think anyone on here has had experiences otherwise.

I personally use Hoppes number 9 to get any grime/dirt/fouling out of my shooters, and use RemOil for general oiling/lubrication/preventive maintenance on all of them. I have never had an issue with them, just do not brush the finish too hard or with anything too abrasive that will mar it.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #13
CopperK9
User

The following 4 members says Thank You to CopperK9 for your post:
Unread 04-10-2020, 07:31 PM   #14
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

While the finish is a bit rough, it looks to be an honest Mauser Luger. It's a plus that all parts match and for your first Luger, I think you did well.

And yes, clean it as you would any other pistol. A used toothbrush will help get into those areas that are difficult.

If you plan to shoot it, I suggest that you buy a MecGar magazine. They are excellent quality and help preserve your original mag. That "take down tool" is also used to load the magazines and save your thumb.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2020, 07:48 PM   #15
CopperK9
User

Thanks for the info. It did come with an aftermarket magazine which I'll use when I shoot it.

I can't find the "04" serial number on the takedown tool, other magazine, grips, or holster but all definitely match the amount of wear that the gun has so would appear original. Is this possible they are original or definitely replacements if not serial numbered?

There are no import marks on it so does that mean it was brough back during WW2?