LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts
Default The Death Head Luger

The Death Head Luger is a recurring topic, and that is understandable given its mystique and enigmatic origin. I find the connection with the SS very tenuous at best…why adapt a “lazy S” instead of the more logical double S (Schutzstaffel) that is captured perfectly by the double lightning bolt runes. The notion of an SS connection is further discouraged by the fact that the DH Lugers all bear WWI dates, the latest being 1918 a full 15 years before founding of the Waffen SS on 17 March 1933 (notably without any lazy S in the insignia!). But those who adhere to the SS connection are certainly entitled to their opinion.

My opinion (for what it is worth) places the creation of these Lugers in the Weimar Republic era following WWI. This was a tumultuous time with considerable disorganization and the rise of paramilitary units for defense. In particular I would like to offer the Meinenwerfer Heuschkel Freikorps as the possible progenitor of the DH Luger. Some time ago Klaus Mersbach kindly sent me the following information:

“Heuschkel, was a Lt. in the Posensches Pionier Bataillon Nr.29 and was promoted to Hauptmann by the end of WWI. After the armistice he formed the Minenwerfer-Detachment Heuschkel of the Freikorps. The detachment was composed of: Stab, 3 MW-Komps. (8 light M.W. and 4 heavy.M.G.), 1 M.G.K. and 1 Flamethrower platoon, 14 officers and 183 men.
Employment: Berlin.
Insignia: Death's Head on left upper sleeve.
Hauptmann Heuschkel was reassigned into the Weimar Reichswehr.
Source, Feldgrau (by Peter Wacker a dear friend of mine who just passed away recently) and Ehrenrangliste Vol.II.”

The flamethrower was the brainchild of Richard Fiedler, a 1900 mechanical engineer in Berlin. The potential of this weapon was recognized by Hauptmann Bernard Reddemann, formerly from Posen but subsequently accepted the position of “Fire Chief Dr. Reddemann” in Leipzig. Reddemann, as an engineer, soldier, and professional firefighter determined that the firefighting “steam pumper” could be modified to discharge flammable liquids as a flame thrower and coordinated with Fiedler in its development. Subsequently, Hauptmann Reddemann became commander of the 2nd Company of the Pioneer Battalion No. 29 (the same battalion as Heusckel!). Flamethrowers were first used (unsuccessfully) in combat at Bagatelle-Pavillion in the Argonne on October 4, 1914. On October 10, 1914 Reddemann petitioned the High Command for the creation of a flamethrower unit. He was successful, and in WWI the men of the Garde Reserve Pioner Regiment, AKA the “Totenkopf Pionere” or “Deathshead Pioneers” included flamethrower units. (Source: German Flamethrower Pioneers of World War I, Thomas Wictor, 2007)

After cessation of the hostilities of WWI and formation of the Freikorps, Heuschkel created the paramilitary detachment “Minenwerfer Heuschkel” and he obviously retained his affinity for the Death Head as evidenced by the “MWH” sleeve insignia of his detachment (noted in the quotation by Mersbach above and not to be confused with the embroidered DH insignia on the cuff of the dress tunic of the Pioneer units). This sleeve badge is very rare and I am fortunate to own one.

The existence of flame thrower units during the Weimar era is documented in a well-known photo taken in Berlin during the Kapp Putsch of 13 March 1920.

It is not a great leap of logic to suggest that the Death Head symbol of the MWH sleeve badge was extended to the chamber marking of Lugers carried by Heuschkel’s troops of the flammenwerfer platoon with the addition of surmounting the “lazy S” to represent the pattern of a flamethrower while advancing on enemy positions’.

I own a 1913 DWM Luger with the “Lazy S Death Head” chamber marking that I purchased in 1970 from a plumber in New Jersey. At that time Death Head Lugers were a little-known variant, and the chamber marking on my gun is identical to the marking illustrated by Fred Datig in his “The Luger Pistol” in his revised edition of 1958. This was long before the variant was common knowledge and subject to fakery. I also have an accompanying holster with the same marking. The holster is a Weimar era conversion of the original WWI army holster made by Otto Sindel in 1916 Berlin. The holster has been modified to add a provision for a cleaning rod and is marked with a Weimar type unit designation “5./A.R.2.15.”, which I think represents the “Fifth Artillery Battalion, Second Battery, weapon number 15”.
Just as the original 1916 Army holster was “repurposed” for a Weimar unit use, I suspect it was also subsequently subsumed by the Death Head unit.

So, while totally devoid of corroborating documentation (as are all other guesses concerning this Luger variant) it is my theory that it is a Weimar Freikorps Flammenwerfer issue…and I am sticking to it!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Meinenwerfer DH Heuschkel.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	79100  

Name:	Kapp Flammenwerfer.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	79101  

Name:	DH Chamber.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	79102  

Name:	Holster Marking2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	79103  

Name:	DH Holster Inside.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	79104  

Unread 03-06-2020, 10:43 PM   #2
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

I subscribe to the Weimar Freikorps theory; the one elucidated by Ron - and perhaps others.

Well written, Ron.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 03-06-2020, 11:57 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I subscribe to the Weimar Freikorps theory; the one elucidated by Ron - and perhaps others.

Well written, Ron.
+ 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
It is not a great leap of logic to suggest that the Death Head symbol of the MWH sleeve badge was extended to the chamber marking of Lugers carried by Heuschkel’s troops of the flammenwerfer platoon with the addition of surmounting the “lazy S” to represent the pattern of a flamethrower while advancing on enemy positions’.

The 'lazy s' being representative of the flamethrower in use had never occurred to me, even while I was watching US Marines mopping up Japanese positions in WW II on the History Channel and thinking that they had to 'sweep' the flow of flame to see if they were hitting what they aimed at.

I would
like to request that this thread be made a 'sticky'.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 03-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

We also know that many were faked before export to the US.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 03-07-2020, 04:02 PM   #5
runscott
User

It would be helpful to see close-ups of the real death's head vs the fake. I don't know if it's the case with Luger fakes, but with many collectibles, even the 'good' fakes have tells that people who are studious can spot.
runscott is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to runscott for your post:
Unread 03-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Scott,
The problem with that is that no one can agree as to which DH is genuine and which DH is fake. Everyone, without exception, thinks that theirs is the real deal.
Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2020, 09:07 PM   #7
runscott
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norme View Post
Hi Scott,
The problem with that is that no one can agree as to which DH is genuine and which DH is fake. Everyone, without exception, thinks that theirs is the real deal.
Norm
Thanks. It's confusing, as I'm reading elsewhere that the 'lazy S' was an SS proof mark, but I can only find it associated with imperial lugers, all of which have the death's head. To me the two in conjunction with one another, as the OP implied, is just visual shorthand for 'death by flame-thrower'.
Unread 03-07-2020, 09:44 PM   #8
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

My advice to you Scott, is to forget about DH Lugers and concentrate on some other area where there is more certainty. I can tell you for sure, that when you try to buy a DH Luger the seller will insist that it's 100% original, usually accompanied by some story that his grandfather had taken it from the body of an SS officer. When you try to sell it, the buyer will tell you that it's an obvious fake.
Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 03-07-2020, 09:59 PM   #9
runscott
User

Sorry, I'm just a history/mystery junkie and couldn't help being intrigued by these. Not looking to buy one.

My next luger will probably be a WWI DWM.
Unread 03-07-2020, 10:29 PM   #10
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norme View Post
My advice to you Scott, is to forget about DH Lugers and concentrate on some other area where there is more certainty. I can tell you for sure, that when you try to buy a DH Luger the seller will tell you that it's 100% original, usually accompanied by some story that his grandfather had taken it from the bodyy of an SS officer. When you try to sell it, the buyer will tell you that it's an obvious fake.
Norm
So true,
even if the "buyer" is the seller you bought the DH luger from!
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post: