LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 02-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #1
Greg B.
User

Default Old Stovepipe

Have a 1937 Mauser S/42 that has chronically stovepiped with round nose full metal jacket or plated bullets. All the usual suspects were tried to no avail. Finally a load was asembeled using Hodgon's Longshot powder and Hornady 147 gr. XTP TRUNCATED CONE bullets. Out of three magazines only one failure to feed (no stovepipes). Once the powder charge was slightly increased no more failures to feed. The load itself was based on the Federal offering. Not saying this is a cure all for stovepipeing but it has worked in my case and hope it might help others.

Greg B.
Greg B. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Greg B. for your post:
Unread 02-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
meadowlark
User

Hi Greg,
I had a similar problem with stovepiping with my 1938 s/42 and with help of the folks here I found switching my ammo to Winchester White Box fixed the problem for me. However, recently my niece's husband sent me a February 2020 copy of "WWII History" and there's a great article under Ordnance called "History's Most Famous Pistol" about the history of the Luger you might find interesting. In it it mentions the Luger works well with cartridges of higher pressure.
meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2020, 01:24 PM   #3
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

I've used Berry's 115 grain truncated cone bullets with great success in my Lugers. I use 5.7 grains of CFE Pistol powder and an OAL of 1.100". They also make a 124 grain bullet if you prefer it.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2020, 09:49 PM   #4
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
Have a 1937 Mauser S/42 that has chronically stovepiped with round nose full metal jacket or plated bullets. All the usual suspects were tried to no avail. Finally a load was asembeled using Hodgon's Longshot powder and Hornady 147 gr. XTP TRUNCATED CONE bullets. Out of three magazines only one failure to feed (no stovepipes). Once the powder charge was slightly increased no more failures to feed. The load itself was based on the Federal offering. Not saying this is a cure all for stovepipeing but it has worked in my case and hope it might help others.

Greg B.
If you load one round of the "problem" ammo, which gave stove pipe jams; will the toggle lock back/open on the empty magazine when fired.

Stovepipes usually mean underpowered ammo, or too strong a mainspring.