LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 09-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #1
RickJZ
User

Default Future of collecting Luger's

What are some of the opinions of forum members regarding the future of collecting Luger's? Many who collect Luger's are of a more mature age to politely put it. Currently, we are seeing many relatively scarce and top dollar examples hitting the market. It doesn't seem that many younger people are entering the hobby of collecting Luger's. What are some collective thoughts regarding how collector grade examples will potentially hold a premium value going forward into the future five to ten years from the present day?
RickJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to RickJZ for your post:
Unread 09-16-2020, 08:35 AM   #2
briskspirit
User

Was also thinking about the same topic. I am 34 y.o. and just entering this hobby so I can confirm that not all "Millenials" are *** But those who are 10 years younger definitely less interested in collectibles, guns, cars and etc..
briskspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #3
calibrator
User

My $.02 worth is this;

Buying Lugers (or any highly regarded commodity) is a store of value that won't diminish when the winds of change blow from a different direction. Having $100K cash in the gun safe when cash is outlawed and the RFID chip Gates put in your wrist is what is now required to even buy groceries, will make 50 Lugers in said safe a MUCH better idea.

But then, ... when ALL semi-auto firearms (remember "Assault Weapons" and AR 14s ) are retroactively banned and confiscated under penalty of prison if caught, not a good idea at all. Buyback program, ... That $2500 Luger will get you a $50 gift card at WalMart IF you're lucky.

Same with collector cars. Once the Green New Deal is implemented, your $$$ million gas guzzler will likely need federal inspection to make sure the pistons are removed in order to save it from the crusher. I doubt Jay Leno will get a special waiver unless he sends BIG $$$ to you know who.

You know what to do, ... make sure you do it in 50 days !
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to calibrator for your post:
Unread 09-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,077 Posts

I have heard this the last 40 years - no newer folks coming into the hobby.

The truth is that many folks don't have the desire, time or money to get full bore into the hobby until they reach 40-50 yrs of age. So, most collectors are older.

I have seen an amazing amount of collections of dead or getting old collectors come up for sale the last 3-5 yrs, but again, this is likely not that uncommon.
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 09-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #5
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I have seen an amazing amount of collections of dead or getting old collectors come up for sale the last 3-5 yrs and it doesn't seem to affect the market up or down?

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 09-16-2020, 03:24 PM   #6
Yakman
User

We all know things change with time. If someone could have told me, in say 1974, what the situation would be in 2020 I would have said when things get that bad I'll stop collecting. It did, but I didn't. I guess because change comes gradually, like for the frog in the pot of water heating on the stove.

For new collectors, today, even though the pot is now boiling, it's all they know. To them these are the "good ol' days," People collected "antiques" in the eighteenth century, for example, to them those were the "good ol' days". Their stuff is still around and still being collected. So, will Luger collecting continue in the foreseeable future? I think it will.

The guns might not have the same personal connection to their keepers as they do now for us, but as "calibrator" says, they might be looked at more as a commodity. I'm not so sure I don't see mine more that way now. I still have my deep satisfaction in ownership as I ever had, but I don't have a "shooter" as I have no interest or desire to shoot one, and there are certainly no gun shows at which to display them like there once was. Today I'm pretty much relegated to that of a "Closet Collector". The days of the many large and small gun shows predicated on collections displayed and competing for prizes are over.

I know, today, there are many Closet Collectors with large expensive collections. I see that style of collecting becoming more the thing of the future. There are enough super references available today from which exceptional knowledge can be gained while never leaving one's home. In the past most had only Datig, Jones, and Kenyon mainly for references, and knowledge passed by word of mouth from other collectors at gatherings like gun clubs and gun shows. I say that as if Luger collecting began with Datig. My reference is to us. For those, say in the 1930s, Luger knowledge would be even harder to come by.

I guess, to me, the bottom line is, in the not too distant future I will "assume room temperature" ( Rush Limbaugh?) and won't even know how long I lived. But for right now it is my responsibility to preserve those Luger pistols in my care for the next caretaker. Then it will be his responsibility, as I will have no more concern for whatever happens.

But, yes, I think Luger collecting will be around in one form or another for a long, long time.

Jack
Yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to Yakman for your post:
Unread 09-16-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,614 Times in 525 Posts

All I can say is that from my own observation, someone is collecting Lugers as the prices aren't coming down and some are bringing astronomical prices.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 10 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 09-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #8
carl1000
User

For me, I think it was about being more mature and really appreciating Guns. I'm in my 40s. I went through the whole phase where I had to have eight A.R. 15's, seven Glocks, three Benelli shotgun's with EXPENSIVE red dots etc.

As I got older I honed in on what I REALLY needed for protection SHTF etc.. So I sold some of those guns. I've always been into the Civil War and World War I/II history. I just had never really read much about Lugers. Once I did, I realized how beautifully machined they were. Something I didn't really appreciate till later in life. I don't think I would've cared in my 20s. But now I'm just collecting them, and love it. I had to sell a few NEW guns, but it's been totally worth it.

I forgot to add… My dad's brother pulled out a Lugar and showed it to me when I was really young. We were in South America. I guess that was his gun he kept in Colombia when wasn't in the states. I remember seeing it when I was about 13. Being fascinated by it. Just always something I remembered. No idea what it was or if he still has it. I don't really see him that much. I'll have to remember to ask him.

Last edited by carl1000; 09-16-2020 at 07:49 PM.
carl1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to carl1000 for your post:
Unread 09-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #9
HerrKaiser
User

I suppose I truly am the outlier here, I am 24 and got ahold of my first Luger when I was only freshly 22 in January 2018. I will be the first to admit that I was fascinated by them from a young age. All of the early 2000's rage about Call of Duty caught me up completely, and regardless of how inconvenient it made my game load out I always had to end the missions with a Luger in there if I could. I had grandparents and great-grandparents serve in both theaters, but none had any major war trophies.

One of my coaches had a Luger and showed it to me when I was 12 and visiting his house with my father. From that day forward, I vowed to get one for myself. Fast forward about 10 years and I got my first one. Fast forward to now and I have 4. I know a few other younger guys who have them, but most inherited them and are focused on rifles and other cheaper collecting objects while they are young and not so financially secure. Just my 2 cents and personal story.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22

Last edited by HerrKaiser; 09-17-2020 at 06:36 PM.
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 11 members says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 09-16-2020, 11:58 PM   #10
4 Scale
User

This thread http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...flation&page=2

began from a financial perspective but also discussed future appeal of the Parabellum.

Since participating in that thread a few years ago, I'm overall still of the opinion that Lugers tend to appreciate at or slightly above the rate of inflation. Demand probably dips and inflates with ebbs and flows in the economy, climate for firearm regulation and so forth but overall is pretty stable.

Phrased differently interest in the pistols will continue for the foreseeable future. The supply of original pistols remaining is finite and always decreasing due to wear and oxidation. The history, aesthetics, uniqueness of the action and other factors are IMO too compelling for these to ever fade into so-what status.

Last edited by 4 Scale; 09-30-2021 at 11:39 AM.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2020, 12:13 AM   #11
gunnertwo
User

Like someone said, they ain't making any more of them. To add a depressing note to this thread, my previous home in Southern Oregon has had devastating fires. Almost 2400 houses have been lost. How many homes held a old vets Luger? We don't want to know.

G2
gunnertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #12
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Firearm collecting seems to have been growing and expanding.

There have always been people that see firearms beyond their basic utility, and appreciate the history, technology and art of the gun.

The Luger is the pinnacle of this. That is why so many people want them. They are unique, reflect an important period of history, were the leading edge of technology and have an aesthetic that many appreciate.

While undeserved, the Luger has often been associated with evil and a certain edge...

There have been a limited number of Lugers since the last was made. For some, that is the Imperial era. For others that is the WW-II era. For others that includes the Swiss through 1948 and even the commercial Mauser production through the 1990's. In all cases, the Luger was unique and appreciated.

Manufacturing a new one would probably cost in excess of $5,000 today. That makes new production unlikely except for the rare shop like Krieghoff and their offering. Even Mauser from 1970 till the end found the marketplace for new Lugers challenging.

So... they are a rare thing, unique and known to people of all ages thanks to media depictions of the firearm, including video games.

Don't discount the potent impact of video games on the hobby of collecting and studying real Lugers. Also, never forget to give young people a chance to fire a real Luger at the range. I've introduced dozens of people to the Luger thanks to my matching "shooter" 1937 Mauser Luger with the finish rash on the right receiver flat.

Some remarkable simulations and 3d models of the Luger have been developed for use in gaming and animation. They will ensure that the Luger appears prominently in future gaming and entertainment media.

Finally, there is the deep level of study necessary to acquire and own the Luger pistol. I know of no other firearm with as many variations and wide range of marking.

The future is bright.
The following 4 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 09-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #13
RickJZ
User

@HerrKaiser,

I found your post quite interesting and refreshing to read. I don't hear of many people around your age that is beginning to establish a collection of historical firearms and or memorabilia. I'm forty seven and have been collecting historical firearms and military memorabilia for many years. My dad used to have a military antique business specializing in WW I and WW II artifacts. Obtained my first gun when I was roughly twelve. A bring back K98 Mauser. It's interesting how you have alluded to video games in your post. Approximately a few weeks ago, I read an article that delved into the topic of keeping the history alive regarding WW II with younger generation. The article highlighted that video games associated with the era are helping to engage millennial and later generation in the historical time period. I wish you all the best with your collecting endeavors.
RickJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #14
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

They are my only possessions that survived 3 wives and a stroke!!
Attached Images

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 8 members says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 09-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #15
CptCurl
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
They are my only possessions that survived 3 wives and a stroke!!

Well, I just gotta ask: Which was worse the wives or the stroke?

Nice collection!
Curl
CptCurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2020, 04:17 PM   #16
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

the second.. i HAD A STROKE IN COSTA RICA AND 4 MONTH COMA AND BRENDA WANTED ME TAKEN OFF LIFE SUPPORT TO COLLECT MY LIFE INSURANCE!!
Unread 09-17-2020, 06:44 PM   #17
HerrKaiser
User

Rick,

I must say that after the first two, I was planning to wait awhile for more of them. But then two more that I really wanted to have eventually fell into my lap at good prices, and I just couldn't turn it down. It certainly dented my finances, but I would make the same decisions all over again in a heartbeat.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #18
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I bought this to Debby for saving my life in Costa Rica!1920 7.65 MY FIRST LUGER!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carbine 006.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	80648  

Unread 09-20-2020, 05:51 AM   #19
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

We've probably discussed this before, unfortuntely most of the gun collectors here in Italy tend to be old-timers sort of people, and of course I would include myself with them.
Practically all the people I see into the vintage firearms world are in their late 50's, 60's and beyond. Probably we tend to appreciate more all the craftsmanship that went into their production.
I don't see many young people interested in collectible firearms, instead they seem to prefer black rifles and "tupperware" pistols under 600 Euro.
Unread 09-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #20
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The disease affected it in many ways~