LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 11-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #21
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I think I already watched Bosch 4 on Amazon prime.
Amazon typically releases their original series on DVD 6 to 12 months after the streaming release. I like to keep them on DVD and watch them repeatedly. I always find things I missed first time around. Same with books - I must have read Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn a dozen times each. And I get something new out of them every time.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #22
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Right,
I'll watch season 1-4 again, and they will be like new; it does not take me long to forget.
Unread 11-18-2018, 01:01 AM   #23
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I’ll watch bad guys as the stars, Sopranos, Breaking bad, etc, but they wear on me quickly, I much prefer good guy type shows.....
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #24
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
I’ll watch bad guys as the stars, Sopranos, Breaking bad, etc, but they wear on me quickly, I much prefer good guy type shows.....
Then you won't want to read the Claire DeWitt series of books by Sara Gran. Claire DeWitt is a female private investigator who steals cars, pilfers clients & victims medicine cabinets for prescription pills, buys street corner throwaway guns, and is generally not someone you'd bring home to meet your mother. There's only three books in the series so far; the first was great (quirky but amusing), the second was a total letdown (Claire kept tripping out on the stolen pills), and the third was very confusing as it combined three cases from different decades, and kept jumping from one to another.

http://www.thrillingdetective.com/mo...re_dewitt.html

I much prefer Harry Bosch, Jack Reacher, and Walt Longmire.
Unread 11-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #25
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
...I much prefer Harry Bosch, Jack Reacher, and Walt Longmire.
Me too
Unread 05-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #26
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The Amazon streaming series Bosch has been renewed for a seventh and final season -

https://deadline.com/2020/02/bosch-r...on-1202859488/

I'm happy that it's been renewed but sad that it will be over. There was talk of a Bosch TV series but nothing seems to have come of it.

Connelly's latest Bosch book was very good but IMO he has fallen into an annoying trait shared with many of his fellow writers: he is 'aging' his character. I really don't care how old (in the book universe) he is, leaving out any reference to his age would be most preferable.
Unread 05-04-2020, 10:26 AM   #27
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Is there anyone fond of "BLUE BLOODS"?
They're broadcasting the 10th season now.
Unread 05-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #28
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Sarah and I binged on the new Bosch season 6 Saturday. Watched all 10 episodes in one day! Got to bed around 2:30 am. Bored...who, me?
Ron

Last edited by Ron Wood; 05-04-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Ron Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Ron Wood for your post:
Unread 05-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #29
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Natali View Post
Is there anyone fond of "BLUE BLOODS"?
They're broadcasting the 10th season now.
I do watch the reruns occasionally, trying to catch up with who's doing what.

I watched the season and series finale of Homeland last Sunday; disappointing. This series went downhill after season two. They kept dropping characters without telling why.

I also watched the premiere of Penny Dreadful: City Of Angels. Sorta interesting, but I may not watch it again.

I also watched the pilot episode of LA's Finest. I like Jessica Alba, especially in that soccer-shoes commercial, but she has been made-up in LA's Finest to where I did not recognize her. I kept waiting for her to appear. I don't think I'll watch that series either.

On the bright side, POP network is showing House marathons. I never watched it when it was on but it's not bad. I have no idea what the doctors are doing but Dr House is interesting. I even ordered the T-shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
Sarah and I binged on the new Bosch season 6 Saturday. Watched all 10 episodes in one day! Got to bed around 2:30 am. Bored...who, me?
Ron
I'm still waiting for season 5 to get shipped from Australia.
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 05-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #30
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I watched "The Spy" on Netflix, great mini series. Loved it until my wife blew it and told me the ending thinking I already knew what happened because I'm a history buff. She is a very smart girl but she can have her blonde moments. Anyway I recommend the series.
Jim
jeb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #31
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Bosch Season 7 -

The Best TV Shows Returning in 2021
"Bosch" | Season 7 Premieres on Prime Video on Friday, June 25

"Bosch" has been a remarkably rock-solid police procedural for six straight seasons. Though the series ends this summer with Season 7, devoted fans will be happy to know that Titus Welliver returns as Harry Bosch in an upcoming IMDb TV spinoff series, announced earlier this year.
Unread 06-14-2021, 04:59 PM   #32
tomaustin
Lifer X5
Lifetime Forum
Patron

sheep---you are missing the point of aging bosch...i have all of the books and read them in the order they were written...what michael has done is keep bringing in the new technology of computers and laboratories into the legal system...Bosch is a reflection of the current police work.....That is one reason for the problem on how to continue the series...bosch would be at a retirement point in the real world.....
tomaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2021, 06:33 PM   #33
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaustin View Post
sheep---you are missing the point of aging bosch...
Tom, I have all the Bosch, Haller, and Ballard books, as well as one of my favorites, Callie Black. My biggest gripe about any book series is 'aging' the character. There is no reason to 'age' them; I don't care if the characters age is never mentioned and prefer it that way. Len Deighton had a great series where he never even gave the character a name, let alone an age. Let them stay 40 forever!

I voiced my latest gripe about the Jack Reacher book series on another forum; Child has retired and left his franchise to his son. The son has only done one book [with dad] and it sucks! I love the premise but the son just doesn't project the imagination Child Sr does.

As for setting Bosch in the present, the producers don't have much choice. It would be too expensive to place Bosch in the years the books were written. The first Bosch was written in 1992; Los Angeles has changed too much since then to film it as it was back then. (Or when the story supposedly occurred).

The demographic has changed also. Everything is aimed at the Millennials now. For anything to succeed, it has to relate to them, not our generation.

But again, there's no reason to 'age' any character. We understand it's a brave new world out there. But the character can be ageless. Let him adopt or reject new technology as he chooses. After all, don't we???
Unread 06-16-2021, 09:43 PM   #34
Diver6106
User

Two of my favorite mystery series are foreign produced. Their is Raid a former Russian Spetznaz, now construction contractor and detective living in Finland. It is in Finnish with English subtitles and involves smuggling across the border, organized crime, and family. Then there is the Aussie series Jack Irish as a detective looking into human trafficking in Asia and organized crime. The MhZ series of foreign mysteries really show something different, as it is always interesting to see nuances that are different than standard American law.
Diver6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2021, 08:19 PM   #35
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I happened on a reference to an interesting sounding TV series that only lasted one season but was very well done setting-wise, Terra Nova. It seems to have been filmed in Australia back in 2001-2 and was about the world in 2149. The planet had developed a toxic atmosphere, no survival outside without breathing apparatus, overpopulation, etc. A rift in time is found allowing limited numbers of people to travel 85 million years in the past and set up a military colony. The series follows one family of colonizers and the efforts of the colony to survive against dinosaurs, an attack from 2149, and a rebel element also surviving in the past.

Spielberg was one of the producers and the scenery of Oz and the CGI was outstanding. The scripts/plots were way too familiar, and simplistically written. The actors were very good I thought. I could only find it on Amazon (new in sealed jewel case) but it was worth it. According to IMDB it was canceled because of escalating costs and Oz's foul weather. A shame, as with better writers it could have been a bigger hit than it was.

It's listed as a Canadian edition DVD English & French.

Edit: I don't know how I missed this back in 2002...I'm a Sci-Fi buff; this would have thrilled me - A Sci-Fi series on TV. I can't imagine what else I would have been watching. Maybe I mistook it for some boring science series...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	terra-nova.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	84338  

Last edited by sheepherder; 11-21-2021 at 10:14 PM.
The following 2 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 12-04-2021, 09:29 PM   #36
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Huh! After a 10 year absence, Dexter is back! Dexter: New Blood is on Showtime. It's in Season 1 and up to Episode 6. It's on Sundays. I've always liked the premise.

Seasons 1-8 of the original series are also available on Showtime, for a limited time.

Last edited by sheepherder; 12-05-2021 at 09:36 AM.