LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
Pappy1600
New User

Default New member saying hello

Just want to say hello to the forum, I am retired LEO and also a FFL dealer, I may have a very nice collection of commercial and military Lugers that probably will be coming in on consignment, I saw 5 of them, believe 4 were early commercial, snapped a few pictures as well, some even had the original holsters and one had a matching serial number magazine, all the pistols appeared to be matching numbers.

I by no means have experience with Lugers and would like to seek out knowledge from the forum in order to get the owner the maximum dollar amount from the collection, (They are friends)I did print out the data sheet so I have a starting point.

Any information would be greatly appreciated when this happens. This loose magazine was in a box with a bunch of parts, I believe to be early commercial it is unmarked with no serial number. Any idea what it is?
Regards,
Terry

Pappy1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi Terry, and welcome to the forum.

Check out our forum FAQ for some good reference information on Lugers. Follow the FAQ link at the top of each page to download it.

I need to see a good straight on picture of the base of the magazine to help with it.

It does look like a commercial magazine from the 1930's but I need to see some of the characteristics of the base to determine if it's righteous.

There is quite a bit of study involved in Luger collecting, and it might be worth getting the consulting assistance of someone with experience to help you value the pistols you're selling. The knowledge and skill has a value.

Your location isn't listed so I can't be of much help pointing you to someone close by.

Welcome to the forum.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 06-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Pappy1600
New User

Thank you for the welcome, I am in Upstate NY area, I snapped a picture of the base, hope this helps, if you need another picture please let me know and thank you again for the assistance.

Unread 06-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

it looks like a commercial mag - and fewer of them around - but its a bit rougher too, so maybe worth $100-$140?

When you get the lugers - do a posting for each - they can be in the same thread, but don't mix other lugers into the same posting.

i.e. gun 1 here

2nd gun in next posting

provide full left, full right, top picture (full) and any external markings besides serial number (front serial number needed and anything 'odd') but not internal markings, as they usually don't mean anything to anybody alive.

ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 06-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
Pappy1600
New User

Some of the pistols had holster with extra mags in them, I am sure this one may have been one that wasn't in the holster, all the pistols had magazines inserted in them so assuming just a loose mag in the collection, here are a few quick pictures I snapped of what was there, unfortunately I was pressed for time and was not able to really document any of them. If you see any that stand out in the group let me know, they said they may keep a few of the special ones which I can understand. Forgive me for the dark pictures.

Other pistols

Once I have more time and better lighting I will provide some better quality pictures.
Unread 06-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
HerrKaiser
User

The one that immediately pops out is the 1914/1920 “double date” (1920 is actually a property mark) DWM pistol. If matching, that one would have some good collector value.

The gun numbered “8000” is neat to me because I like the squarely rounded numbers, the magazine marks say it is a police pistol. but more information on it is needed to make any more assessments. Same with the other pistols.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 06-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
Pappy1600
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrKaiser View Post
The one that immediately pops out is the 1914/1920 “double date” (1920 is actually a property mark) DWM pistol. If matching, that one would have some good collector value.

The gun numbered “8000” is neat to me because I like the squarely rounded numbers, the magazine marks say it is a police pistol. but more information on it is needed to make any more assessments. Same with the other pistols.
I am a sucker for "00" number guns, I have a few M1 Garands in my collection with double zeros ending the serial number, that one caught my eye especially with the matching magazine, they were all nice looking guns, when I have time I will definitely get some better pictures and fill out the spec sheets as well, I figured you folks would enjoy looking at them. I never owned a Luger, most of my handgun collection are old Colts, but after looking at these examples I may have to consider one for my own collection. That being said , I took in around 40 rifles from this collection and still need to pick up the handguns which is around 40 as well. Need a lotto win, so many guns to choose from so little funds.
Unread 06-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The "00" pistol is a police gun that still has the sear safety but had the magazine safety arsenal removed.

It might be the lighting, but I don't see the normal factory grind pattern on the blank base magazine. For me, that's normally the best evidence that it would not have been messed with.

Again, it might be the lighting, but the rounded appearance of edges on the P.38 and the lack of red paint in the F mark makes it look refinished.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 06-14-2019, 05:30 PM   #9
Curly1
User

Welcome to the forum.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Curly1 for your post:
Unread 06-15-2019, 05:16 AM   #10
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Welcome to our LUGER forum from Italy.
You'll find a lot to read here, and many knowledgeable veteran members.
Unread 06-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #11
Eugen
User

Welcome to the forum. I like that police luger. Do read the FAQ section and stay in touch.
Unread 06-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
SteveM
User

The blank bottom mag could be for a Mauser Banner Portugese GNR. I happen to be looking for one of those. If so, it would be proper for the Luger pictured below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	port12_zpsb0d8xdrv.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	77129  

SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote