LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 09-01-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
John F.
User

Question Single best reference book?

Hi, I'm new to Lugers, and don't plan to collect them extensively, but would like to learn about them. If you had to pick one reasonably available reference book that gives an excellent overview of Luger pistols, which would it be? I don't mind spending up to $100 for a really good book if needed, as long as it has lots of quality information. Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
John
Unread 09-01-2003, 01:31 PM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,988 Times in 1,205 Posts
Hi,

John Walters 'Luger' and 'The Luger Story' are a
good starting point.

Of course there is the Jan Still series if you want to get deeper into a certain era and a very good book by Martens & De Vries about the Dutch Luger.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2003, 07:57 PM   #3
Jim Keenan
User

I am not sure if it is still in print, but Lugers at Random, by Charles Kenyon, has a lot of good info and pictures. Most Luger books are written purely for collectors and deal with the various types and markings; there is almost nothing (at least in English) about production techniques, repair, or the actual functioning of the pistol.

There are also many cheap (or maybe not so cheap) Luger books that simply reprint from the research of others. Because there is little factual information on some aspects of the pistol, some books are so full of speculation ("maybe this" and "possibly that") as to be about worthless. Mistranslations from the German are yet another matter which degrade otherwise worthwhile books.

Jim
Jim Keenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2003, 08:28 PM   #4
Luke
User

There is no single book which will provide a comprehensive, in-depth view of Lugers. Jim's suggestion of the Kenyon book, "Lugers at Random," is a good place to start and provides a good overview.

Once you have fully explored Kenyon's book, the Jan Still set will provide excellent, in-depth information on the different Luger categories. My personal favorite is Still's "Imperial Lugers," but I only arrived at that point after researching all types and settling on one area, Imperial Lugers.

Best of luck, and good hunting.

Luke
Unread 09-02-2003, 07:05 PM   #5
John F.
User

Thanks, all!! I appreciate the good info!
John
Unread 09-02-2003, 07:42 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts
What Luke said, if you can figure out which era you like best, than one of Jan Still's three books on era's, Imperial, Weimar and Third Reich Lugers are each a great resource.

I like the older books by Datig and Jones but some of the info is dated, I personnaly think that Kenyon's is a good one also.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 08:20 PM   #7
Herb
User

Lugers at Random, many sources, varying prices--
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac...46823554_1:1:1
Unread 09-02-2003, 09:17 PM   #8
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

John Walter's "Luger" has the best description of how the toggle works on the Luger as well as other firearms which used it or attempted to use it. It is my number one choice!!!
Unread 09-02-2003, 11:15 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,434 Posts
John, All good suggestions. I think the Lugers At Random book is good for it's information but really fails in it's photo's They are grainy and not clear to me.

Jan Still's books are heads and shoulders above the LAR book. The photo's are crystal clear and on glossy Museum grade paper. Plus you can't beat the compiled information. Take a look at LAR befor you shell out hard earned bucks for a copy. I sold mine as I couldn't stomach the bad photo's any longer. But thats just me....Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2003, 08:24 PM   #10
Steve Richards
User

This is kind of a cop-out but I would (and did) start with the 5 e-books by Gerard Henrotin. At $7.95 each, the five of them will be less than almost any single hard cover book.

Look farther down in this discussion section for the thread titled : "Tell me about Gerard Henrotin's books." And yes, they are in English. Just download them to the computer that you want to view them on as you cannot move them from one computer to another. You must view them on the computer that you download them to.

Good luck!
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2003, 09:20 PM   #11
John F.
User

Jerry, is the information in the Jan Still set comparable to the information in the Kenyon "Lugers at Random" book, or is the Still trilogy primarily preferable due to its excellent photos? Or, do the Kenyon book and Still set complement each other because of the info in the Kenyon book and photo quality of the Still set?
Thanks for the good info!
John
Unread 09-03-2003, 10:03 PM   #12
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,307 Times in 429 Posts
John,

I would say that Kenyon's book is descriptive, while Still is diagnostic. I find myself referring to Kenyon if I want to check the basics of an unfamiliar pistol, and going to Still for serious detailed research.

I second the thought that there is no one single book which adequately covers both the general topic of the Luger pistol and serves as a comprehensive catalog. I would say that you would not go far wrong with a copy of "Lugers at Random" and Walter's "The Luger Story".

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2003, 11:15 PM   #13
Big Norm
RIP

John,
I have a Mac computer so I can't use the E-books. But John Walthers book "The Luger" is in paper back and out of print. I would estimate that the price will be in the $60 area on Ebay. "Lugers at Random" is a good book too. But it covers all eras of Lugers. "Lugers at Random" would be the best choice for just one must-have book and is best bought on Ebay. Eventually, you will have to get Walthers book. Then when you decide which era of Lugers that you want to focus on, get the Stills books. They are out of print but there is a special going on right now and Jan Stills is offering each of his reprinted books for $65 plus $10 shipping. If you get real serious, then these are must-haves. When Jan Stills runs out of reprints, then his books will revert back to the pre reprint prices of $100-125.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote