LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 10-24-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
Beowulf
User

Default Luger Value??

I have a Luger my father gave me some time ago. I have no idea how much it's worth, but I do have a need to sell it. I looked it over and it has the following marks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mauser 40.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	494  

"Hrothgar's people lived in joy, happy until that wanderer of the wasteland, Grendel the demon, possessor of the moors, began his crimes. He was of a race of monsters exiled from mankind by God--He was of the race of Cain, that man punished for murdering his brother. From that family comes all evil beings...."
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2005, 09:12 PM   #2
Beowulf
User

The pistol is in amazing shape, has a holster and a spare magazine. I've never fired it and the previous owner didn't, either. He acquired it from a German officer just after the war. At gunpoint, I'm afraid.

If anyone can tell me of its worth and make an offer, I would certainly consider it. It's a beautiful gun. Of course, all federal and state regulations must be adhered to.

Thanks!

jriler@hotmail.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo_2.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	495  

"Hrothgar's people lived in joy, happy until that wanderer of the wasteland, Grendel the demon, possessor of the moors, began his crimes. He was of a race of monsters exiled from mankind by God--He was of the race of Cain, that man punished for murdering his brother. From that family comes all evil beings...."
Unread 10-24-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
Beowulf
User

Another view...oh, and all matching serial numbers.
Attached Images

Unread 10-24-2005, 09:24 PM   #4
Beowulf
User

Side view. Very light scratch on side...can probably be polished out. Also comes with a matching Marx Luger (circa 1960s) toy black gun and plastic case.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo_1.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	497  

Unread 10-24-2005, 09:55 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

John, I moved your thread to here, as we don't do "auctions" on the forum. If you want to sell, then that is ok, but "asking" for offers is not allowed.

That said, it is a very nice 1940/42, and asking for value is okay, then once you decide to sell, then you can add it back to the for Sale section

I bought one several years ago almost as nice as yours for $900, I would guess $1200-$1500? Maybe more?
Is the magazine matching too?

The holster is a police model and does not go with the gun, I would be interested in knowing more about it, year, stamps on rear, etc.

I also collect "bring-back" stories (will publish a book on it later), if interested, i would like any info on the guy if known and what units he served with, and/or any known story of how it was aquired?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Beowulf
The pistol is in amazing shape, has a holster and a spare magazine. I've never fired it and the previous owner didn't, either. He acquired it from a German officer just after the war. At gunpoint, I'm afraid.

If anyone can tell me of its worth and make an offer, I would certainly consider it. It's a beautiful gun. Of course, all federal and state regulations must be adhered to.

Thanks!

jriler@hotmail.com
Hi:

Please check your private message from me.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
the gunman
User

Love to see the backof the holster looks "to new"
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2005, 01:40 AM   #8
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I am sure you are not planning to do anything to it, but I feel compelled to tell you that a scratch can't be "polished out"! To do so would ruin what otherwise appears to be a fantastic finish. The gun, like the holster, appears almost too good to be true, but if it is genuine, you have a real jewel. Let it alone and sell it as is. Good luck.
Unread 10-26-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Richie, Where did you see the back of the holster?

Beowolf, This is as about as nice as you see them, from what little I can see of the holster it looks pretty nice too....

Take your time selling it. Find the right guy. He will pay the right price. Ron gave you good advice about the holster unless it is serialed to the pistol, some Police holsters were.

This era is not my collecting interest but if it were I would go after this one!

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2005, 12:50 PM   #10
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Jerry, I believe Richie said or meant to say;
Quote:
love to see the back of the holster
then metally put in a comma and say, looks too new!
Unread 10-26-2005, 09:54 PM   #11
Beowulf
User

Thanks for all the responses. The story of the gun is simply this: My father was sitting in a Paducah, Ky., restaurant with two friends. One mentioned the Luger he had brought back from Germany and my father asked if he would sell it, sight unseen, for five hundred dollars. His friend agreed and my father wrote him a check on the spot. After lunch they drove a short distance to the man's home and he retrieved the gun. When his wife saw what was going on she hit the roof and demanded that he not sell it.

My father instantly agreed for forego the deal if it would result in marital disharmony; however, the man told her he had no intention of ever shooting it and besides, a deal was a deal. So with my father offering once again to walk away from it, his friend gave it to him in the holster.

This was many years ago and my father never shot it, either. The clip does have matching serial number, but the spare does not. The holster apparently didn't come with the gun, as observed. It's in fantastic shape and the markings on the back are: "A FISCHER, BERLINC2, 1933." The belt loop looks like it was never used and there's some kind of a gadget in the top that looks like it might be a magazine assister or loader. It's steel and is in great shape.

I will try to take a few more photos, specifically of the holster.

My father's friend died about four or five years ago. His wife never let him forget that he sold it and my father has always regretted the apparent hard feelings that it caused, though the wife never at all held it against him. (My dad said it was probably worth $500 to his friend not to have to hear about it all those times.)

The story, just from my dad's memory, is that his friend had gotten it from an officer, who turned it over with no complaint. He apparently wasn't wearing it and that's about it. My father is still alive and I can have him relate the story again just to make sure I have it right.

Thanks for all the feedback.

John
Unread 10-26-2005, 10:05 PM   #12
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

$500, say 20 years ago was a decent if not high price, and more years ago than that, probably worth even more.

A lot of folks think they are sitting on a gold mine (the lady and her attitude). I think the guy, at the time got a good price for the rig from your dad.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 10-27-2005, 10:58 PM   #13
Beowulf
User

Thanks. I've seen a lot of friendships end up on the rocks over things as trifling as this. Even if it had been a gold mine, my father would have walked away from it rather than create a problem. He and I just like Lugers. Then, when I saw my first "Ruger" .22LR, I thought it was just a rip-off of the name. As I got more into firearms I realized it was just a cooincidence and that Ruger put out some of the finest guns for the money.

Still, there's nothing like that fantastic toggle action.

Wulf
Unread 10-28-2005, 12:04 AM   #14
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

I would bet this holster is original. The mag pouch is thin. On almost any repro they are way too thick. This looks like a really nice one. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote