LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 03-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
rdfact
User

Default Franken-Luger

Hopefully I am posting in the correct place, I don't which parts of this are commercial vs military. Please excuse any incorrect terminology. I bought the HL Publishing eBook so most of my limited knowledge comes from that eBook.

Thanks in advance for any info and replies.

This is my first luger and I acquired very cheaply so I thought it was worth the gamble, knowing that it has some functionality issues.

The grips are repro plastic? No marks I can see.
The right side grip screw appears to be a hardware store replacement.
The magazine has no marks and has a plastic base plate, a Mec-Gar?
Not import marked.

The problem is it will often fire when it goes into battery. Testing this (unloaded), it seems to fire almost every time I rack it. The trigger will reset if you pull the toggle back just about a 1/4" until it clicks. But if I pull the toggle all the way back and let it go, simulating actual semi-auto firing, it fires on its own. If I reset the trigger and ease it into battery, I can look down the bore with a flashlight and see the firing pin is recessed under spring tension, ready to fire. Pull the trigger and can now see the firing pin forward no longer under tension. If I pull the toggle all the way back and let it go into battery, then look down the bore, the firing pin is forward, appearing to have fired on its own. I don't have any 9mm snap caps on hand to test with.

Any ideas on what part or parts would need to be fixed or replaced to fix this?

Perhaps the side plate and/or trigger lever. If I take the side plate off (and push the takedown lever back up), I can repeatedly rack it and it does not fire on its own.
Is the trigger lever supposed to have any spring tension? It just flops around.
rdfact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
rdfact
User

More pics:

One possible reason for the unintended firing is a broken disconnector plunger. The tip of the plunger fell out when I removed the sear bar.

And I realized it has no hold open lever (unrelated to firing issue). The fact that the frame has a cutout for the hold open lever may help date this?
Unread 03-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Yep, that broken part just may have something to do with it. Also that side plate is scarey. Consider sending to our own Luger Doc for a check-up.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 03-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #4
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

I agree with DJU, unless you are pretty handy with gun repairs and willing to learn about the luger, sent it to the Doc. You will likely need parts, at least a plunger, maybe a sear bar, and maybe a striker.

Your luger is well worn, and messed with by a ham handed mechanic, sorry.
The following 2 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 03-10-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Your disconnector seems to be missing the spring? This spring is essential to proper operation. Your sideplate is also suspect. If you know someone local who owns a Luger P.08, you can try swapping these parts to see if the problems go away...

LugerDoc should have any parts you might need.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 03-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #6
rdfact
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
Your disconnector seems to be missing the spring? This spring is essential to proper operation. Your sideplate is also suspect. If you know someone local who owns a Luger P.08, you can try swapping these parts to see if the problems go away...

LugerDoc should have any parts you might need.
Please correct me if I am using the wrong terminology. This part is the sear bar, correct? The plunger tip has broken off. There is a spring inside the sear bar with the rest of the plunger held in by a pin.

And should the trigger lever in the side plate have a spring? Mine does not and it just flops around. The "S" shaped pin holds the trigger lever to the side plate but it has no spring tension.
Thanks.
Unread 03-10-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

The sideplate uses no spring. It is supposed to "flop around"...

You need to remove the plunger retention pin from the sear bar and release the spring and the broken piece of the disconnector plunger.

The disconnector plunger is a rather simple part that can be made from an appropriate diameter piece of steel dowel.

Here is an extract from that blueprint. All measurements are in millimeters.

The entire set of blueprints is available from me for $25.00 (shameless plug)--send me a PM if you are interested.

If you are handy with metal and tools, you could make this part yourself.... if you are not, buy one from LugerDoc. Get yourself a hold-open and spring while you are at it.

Replacement of this part will most likely fix your problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page13-Plunger.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	64683  

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2017, 03:14 PM   #8
rdfact
User

Thanks for the info John. The eBook has the parts dimensions as well.

Any comments on the date and maker of this Luger? The toggle is DWM but not sure if the barrel extension and/or frame is. Looks like it has been rebarreled. The bore is like new and there is no witness mark on the barrel opposite the frame.
Unread 03-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

The receiver has a date on it, but I can't read it. That would be the date of mfg. of the receiver, by DWM.
Since it is mismatched, the date is "open", it appears to be from DWM-as there is not a crown/letter on the front of the trigger guard as there is on Erfurt production. Since the frame has a lug, it would date to 1913 or after- though there could be exceptions.
Unread 03-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #10
rdfact
User

The only date I can find is 1914:
Unread 03-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #11
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

1914 it is.