LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 11-09-2017, 07:33 AM   #1
ryoung
New User

Default Any information Luger SN #6469

I just purchased this Luger with serial # 6469. I don't really know much about Lugers however I was told it was a 9mm which it is not. 9mm Luger shells will not fit the chamber.
Any help to identify and date this Luger would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lg01.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	69733  

Name:	lg02.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	69734  

Name:	lg2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	69735  

Name:	lg3.jpg
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	69736  

Name:	lg4.jpg
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	69737  

Name:	lg5.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	69738  

Name:	lg6.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	69739  

Name:	lg7.jpg
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	69740  

ryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2017, 07:50 AM   #2
Bill_in_VA
User

The correct serial number is 6469m. It's what is often called a 1920 Commercial or an "alphabet Luger." Being an "m" block , it was probably made in 1922/1923. It should be .30 Luger (7.65x21mm), not 9mm (9x19mm) For what it's worth, the .30 Luger is really sweet shooting cartridge - you'll like it.
John 8:32

reive (riːv) vb (Military) (intr) dialect Scot and Northern English to go on a plundering raid
[variant of reave]
ˈreiver n e.g., " Some view the Border Reivers as loveable rogues."
Bill_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2017, 08:01 AM   #3
Robert in NC
User

I'm pretty new to Lugers myself, but I've been reading a lot and especially reading this forum.
Let's see what I've learned in reading and from hanging around here. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

First, the serial number is 6469m, the script letter under the serial number is actually part of the serial number. The crown over N proof mark indicates it's a 1920's commercial (not military) gun. It would be in 7.65 caliber (.30 Luger) if 9mm rounds don't fit, which is consistent with it being 1920's commercial. I THINK the fact that it is numbered in this fashion indicates 1923 or later, because originally 1920 commercials were numbered without the script letter, but I'm not sure about that date. Does it have an import mark ("Germany") anywhere? I didn't see it in the pictures.

It should have a wood-bottom magazine.

All the numbers I see are matched which is good, however the strawing on the small parts is pretty much gone.

As to value, given the condition overall, and assuming it has the correct magazine and a decent bore, I PERSONALLY would say about $700- $800, but not being a military gun it would be of less interest to most collectors. Others may value it differently.

Congratulations on getting your first Luger!

(AH! I see bill answered while I was busy typing. )

Post Script: I find that Fiocchi 7.65 ammo does not cycle my 1920 commercial properly, being a bit under-powered, but PPU 7.65 ammo works great
Robert in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Congratulations on your first Luger and welcome to the forum.

You'll enjoy and benefit from the free FAQ document that we publish on this site. Follow the link at the top of every page. It's written by some of the top worldwide experts in Lugers - the members here!

Marc
Unread 11-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #5
ryoung
New User

I do have the magazine with a wooden bottom. Very, Very small print right side and hard to make out even with a lighted magnifying glass the best I can decipher "MADE IN GERMANY"
Unread 11-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

You have a decent shooter. One thing I notice is that the takedown lever appears to be an aftermarket cast part, not an original forged and machine piece.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,501 Times in 2,077 Posts

Its a luger which is nice

I would be a bit irritated if I thought it was a 9mm and it wasn't, as 7.65 is much more expensive than say whitebox 9mm. Perhaps you got it for a good price?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #8
Major Tom
User

Lugers are finicky shooters. That being said, my 1920 commercial shoots Fiocchi and PPU ammo with out fault. Even my reloads too. My luger throws the empty brass way high over my right shoulder and about 15 feet behind me. I usually loose some brass. I use Hornady 93 gr. bullets that come sized to .309 which is correct for the bore.
Unread 11-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #9
ryoung
New User

Edward, yes I feel like I got it at a decent price. Actually bought it at a auction and the Auctioneer was the one who said it was a 9mm. Major Tom, first stop was a local Gun shop who told me the gun was to old to shoot and would more than likely damage it. Of course he offered to buy it. So thoughts are use the proper ammo and all should be OK?
Unread 11-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #10
Bill_in_VA
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung View Post
... first stop was a local Gun shop who told me the gun was to old to shoot and would more than likely damage it. Of course he offered to buy it. ...
That should have been a screaming red flag right there. Run away from that gun store and don't look back - someone's going to get cheated otherwise, and it won't be the gun store.

Many of us on here have Lugers (and other guns) far older than that and still shoot them regularly and safely. (Ever been to an NSSA match and seen just how many original Civil War rifles are fired? A lot.) As long as you use correct, good quality ammunition you shouldn't have any problems with.

Personally, I've never thought of the Luger as finicky either. I currently own 17 and again, with good ammo and a decent magazine find them to be pretty reliable. Soft-pointed ammo doesn't feed well, nor do cheap aftermarket magazines. FWIW, most feeding problems with semi-autos are either ammo or magazine related, anyway.

My .02
John 8:32

reive (riːv) vb (Military) (intr) dialect Scot and Northern English to go on a plundering raid
[variant of reave]
ˈreiver n e.g., " Some view the Border Reivers as loveable rogues."
Bill_in_VA is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Bill_in_VA for your post:
Unread 11-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #11
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Lugers are finicky shooters. That being said, my 1920 commercial shoots Fiocchi and PPU ammo with out fault. Even my reloads too. My luger throws the empty brass way high over my right shoulder and about 15 feet behind me. I usually loose some brass. I use Hornady 93 gr. bullets that come sized to .309 which is correct for the bore.
Why do you say they are "finicky"?
And then say yours, including reloads, shoots fine?
Makes no sense.

Lugers are not "finicky" if in original and clean/lubricated condition and fed the ammunition they were designed for.

Lugers do eject up, they are designed that way.
Unread 11-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #12
eagle7373
User

ryoung...

I have an Alphabet Commercial Luger (formerly called the 1920 Commercial Luger) which I really love to shoot. As stated above, and like yours, it uses 7.65 Parabellum (called "30 Luger" in the USA). Your serial number suggests that it was made between 1922 and 1925, though I have not been able to find any definitive serial number list that could pin it down to a specific year. I recommend you look at the Luger FAQs on this forum, and at the "sticky" posts by Dwight Gruber on commercial Lugers. If you want to reload, I suggest you look at the posts by "Sieger" on the reloading threads of this forum. Hope you enjoy your Luger!
Unread 11-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #13
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

There are a good number of members here on this forum that own and shoot alphabet Lugers. The 7.65P/30 Luger round is a fun round to shoot. Lugers like to to be clean and well lubed, and when all of the springs, mags, and ammo are correct, they can be very reliable, and scary accurate, even with a poor bore. I hope that your Luger will perform well for you, and that you enjoy it.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #14
Ben M.
User

took girl shooting one time. hot brass went up and fell in cleavage of her shirt. lots of screaming. i was laughing.
Ben M. is offline   Reply With Quote