LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 12-17-2021, 10:38 PM   #41
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default only the barrel!

Hi Don, and Merry Christmas! I did mean only the barrel? If I miss-stated, I apologize, but with that said, the ramp looks convex and radiused incorrectly as well? I can't say it will be the cure, but it can't hurt to make correct?... Best to you my friend, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 12-18-2021, 09:32 PM   #42
RWBlue01
User

GT, I don't think it is a relined barrel. But you can decide when you get it.

DonVoigt, The 1916 is good to go as is, but the parts are not interchangeable with the 1940. Min and max specs. I can't get the uppers and lowers to work in any combination. Not even the breach blocks.
RWBlue01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2021, 10:56 PM   #43
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Ookee dokie

Hi RWBlue, yes, I'll take a closer look when it is in hand.. As for interchangability, most of the time, most of the assemblies, will interchange? But if you do enough of this, you'll find a sizable percentage will not! The Navy I just completed for Ed, wouldn't go together no matter what i tried! I was almost like the parts repelled each other!!! I have four shooters, and I'm pretty confident one will work... Anxious to get a look'see and report back! Best to you, til.....lat'r....GT
Unread 12-23-2021, 09:52 PM   #44
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Initial impressions!

The upper arrived today and it is miss-match but everything is pretty nice and straight, perfect for a shooter! Barrel has NOT been relined and/but, the feed ramp was poorly cut, so I straightened that out with a Dremel and a rubberized abrasive cone point. The ramp and chamber mouth are now properly formed and it works flawlessly at the test bench, so now, next stop will be the range! I did find the rear end of the forks bent together about .005" and I corrected this as well. The receiver fit my test byf frame perfectly and I'm pretty confident this baby's going to work!... Only thing that worries me is the extractor stops on the breechblock are long gone and I am not fore sure how this will affect extraction, if at all? Anyone ever have this issue on there shooter?... Best, til....lat'r.....GT...
BTW, I see earlier in this thread, we briefly discussed this issue? I'm going to test it with the broken out BB, then, if an issue, will swap it out with a non-broken one just to see?....
Unread 12-24-2021, 01:51 AM   #45
sdmark777
User

Yes, 1937 S/42. Shoots fine w/out the breech block stops. Some one here said they purposely ground off the sides of the extractor on their shooter to prevent damaging the breech block like mine was. Same result. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	84488  

sdmark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sdmark777 for your post:
Unread 12-24-2021, 11:23 AM   #46
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Thanks Mark

Hi Mark and all, I think the only reason for the stops being there in the first place was to reduce over and repeated full compression if the extractor spring? Thanks again Mark, til.....lat'r.....GT...
Unread 12-26-2021, 09:25 AM   #47
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,341 Times in 2,036 Posts

Under normal operation, those little projections do not touch the breech block itself.

Grinding them off intentionally is a practice I've not heard of before - I don't think such was ever an "approved" practice, JMHO.

If the projections did not serve a purpose they would not have been included in the design or would have been eliminated during production- they would simplify mfg. of both the extractor and the recesses in the bolt quite significantly.

I believe such purpose is to aid in retention of the extractor in the breech block; without them there is nothing to prevent the extractor from moving forward and out of the block except the curve of the projection under the cross pin. Of course later on the Swiss altered the design to a full circle for the pin- did they eliminate the forward projections ?

I don't collect Swiss lugers, so can't check an extractor for its shape; GT ? Luger doc ?

The chips in the picture are a well known type failure, but not one frequently encountered - it can only be caused by a major malfunction = a punctured primer/ruptured case and the resulting significant gas leak.
The following 2 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 12-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #48
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default I agree with Don.

Althought not a great design for large quantity manufacture, I agree that every nuance of the extractors design has a reason behind it! As for the Swiss extractor, it seems to be identical with the exception of the hole for retention rather then the small spur that protrudes from the bottom. I have had some few applications where there was enough clearance for the Swiss extractor to fit and work freely, most of the time, no...
But, whe I removed this extractor, I found that the spring OAL had been reduced by at least a third, which reinforces my theory that the tab stops on the breech block are there to prevent overcompression of the small coil spring that was used? And BTW, when I checked the Luger initially for head space, the action closed easily on the "NO-GO" gauge? I replaced the breechblock with a Mauser one, probably "byf" and ended up replacing the middle toggle pin and rear toggle part to get the proper head space back into tolerance... With the ramp correction and all the rest, the Luger is now smooth and snappy and I have every confidence that it will work properly at the range. Of course, I remember that thoughtfull phrase, Optimism-Is Going after Moby Dick in a Rowboat and taking Tartar Sauce With You! I will keep all in the loop as we progress! BTW, Santa was good to me, shorts, colorful socks, a Marvin the Martian tee shirt! (from a disitant planet not to far from here) Suspenders, and chocklate covered cherries! Last but not least, a bottle of Crown Royal which is directly tyed to my problem solving sessions... Now who can top all that! Meeerrryy Christmas! Ho, de, hoho,,,, best, til...lat'r....GT....
Unread 01-04-2022, 06:23 PM   #49
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Range report!

Hi to all! Well, if the problem was in the top end, it's not there anymore? The barreled receiver ran perfectly thru three mags of 7 and/or 8 rounds and never missed a beat! I inspected the brass, and although the primer strike was deep, it didn't pierce the primer and was consistant all thru the test. I even swithched ammo from WW white box 115 gr. ball to Federal 124 gr. ball and it ran along perfectly and un-changed... I am pondering taking a few firing pins with me back to the range to see if it makes any difference on strike depth?
I'm going to pow-wow with RW and see what we need, or maybe want, to do going forward..... But, success was the final verdict... Best to all, til....lat'r....GT....

BTW, problem, block won't close, solution: re-eatablish correct feed ramp angle & depth, and, also tune and straighten forks to eliminate binding and drag, which one was the cure, anyones guess...... best, GT
The following 7 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 01-07-2022, 07:16 PM   #50
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Success squared?

Well, never one to trust fate, I got out the old magnafying glass and took a closer look at the problem pin? I cousd see immeadiatly that the tip was rough and although not corroded, it showed signs of irrgularity. I check the protrusion and depth to the breech face with about a dozen pins and all were within + or - .002" Soooo, I took some 400 W/D and smoothed everything out, and polished with a dremal fine buff and back to the range we went! I loaded and fired three rounds, covering the luger with my straw hat, (only way I can catch brass!) Looked like an idiot, bet mission accomplished, nice smooth pin strike.. I think no more issues, boxed it up and it'e on it's way back to Darian!
Always something new and interesting to learn on these Lugers... Just more fun for me! Best to all, til....lat'r.....GT....
The following 6 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 02-05-2022, 10:23 PM   #51
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default final result?

Hi to all! Well, I've not heard whether or not we cured the issue with the top end mods performed? I am sure he is busy making a living and probably will write when he gets time? I'd really like to know how it turned out, but sometimes, we don't get that privilege? On to the next quest, I know there is a windmill turning somewhere!!! Best to all, til....lat'r.........GT...
Unread 02-06-2022, 01:03 AM   #52
RWBlue01
User

I wish I could test. But I am at one place and it is at a different place.

They are also have a sever ice storm, so even if I was there, I couldn't test.

I hope to be back in the spring to test this and play with my other toys.
Unread 02-06-2022, 10:43 AM   #53
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default still going!

Hi RWblue01, very good to hear from you, I thought you were lost for a bit, but all is well now! I understand about the being away issue, life has its priorities, and I will be patient and await your test results somewhere in the future when time and proximity permit! In the meantime, stay healthy and happy, let us know how we did, when you can...... best, til....lat'r....GT...
Unread 02-07-2022, 02:54 AM   #54
RWBlue01
User

Not all those who wander are lost...
Unread 02-07-2022, 12:50 PM   #55
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default unfortunately

Unfortunately, I think I' a victim of both?..... ...
Oh, check that, my wife says I don't wander much anymore.... Best, til...lat'r....GT....
Unread 09-09-2022, 09:29 PM   #56
RWBlue01
User

I am finally back where this gun is located.

And pulled out my different ammo.

German Blue practice ammo, did what I expected. It was my test of ammo which should test that the firing pin works. It goes pop and the little plastic bullet hits the target. It doesn't have enough power to move an action. (If something was seriously wrong with firing pin or action or...it is the safest way to know.)

Remington worked just fine.
WinWhite Box works just fine.
Wolf steelworks just fine.

Norma, Fiocchi..Unreliable at times. I am guessing they are too powerful and the action is moving to the rear and coming forward too quickly. The bolt doesn't hit the rear of the cartridge. See Photo.

Seems consistent with both luger P08s.Click image for larger version

Name:	20220909_124121.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	85743

Name:	20220908_174432.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	85744
Unread 09-09-2022, 09:38 PM   #57
RWBlue01
User

Then I tried some Freedom Munitions.

I have never seen stepped brass.
I have never had head separation in a pistol round.

With Freedom Munitions, I had both.
First round ran fine.
Second round left half the brass in the chamber.

I spent today chasing Freedom Munitions around and trying to get the brass out.

Freedom declared bankruptcy taking no liability, but selling the name to the next company by what appears to be the same people.
Perfectly legal, but not ethical by any means.

It appears I also had a 90 days to tell them there was an issue with the loaded ammo. So if you don't shoot your ammo every 90 days, you are screwed.

OK, off the box...

If anyone else has this issue a 3/8s drill bit hand turned with plyers is how you remove stuck half brass in 9mm. It is perfectly sized for the brass and not hitting the chamber.Click image for larger version

Name:	20220908_180630.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	85745

Name:	20220909_190147.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	85746

All in all GT you are great.
Freedom Munitions sucks.
And I love my P08s
The following member says Thank You to RWBlue01 for your post:
Unread 09-09-2022, 09:44 PM   #58
RWBlue01
User

Oh LAX ammo appears to be in the same group. They suck also.
Unread 09-10-2022, 01:53 PM   #59
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,808 Times in 1,170 Posts

The P08 has a stepped chamber, so any 2-piece brass cases will separate?
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2022, 08:53 PM   #60
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

My nephew dropped a 9mm luger cartridge into Dad's T-54 (7.62x25mm), which jammed pretty tightly. I was surprised that it chambered. I guess the gun had been heavily used and was well worn.
I think it's pretty dangers extracting a live round.

I had to back it out with a wooden rod.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote