LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 12-08-2015, 05:18 PM   #1
acastell
User

Default Help identifying this luger...Swiss 06/29 9mm w/6" barrel

Hello all, been a while since I have posted...I came across an interesting luger and wanted to see if anyone has some more info..I will not ask for an estimated value , but if you want to offer, it would be appreciated...of course, value depends on condition and these pics will not show that too well..

Anyway, this is an 06/29 Swiss Luger with a P stamp, 'privat' I suppose??

This luger is chambered 9mm with as 6" barrel...one would assume this was re-barreled in 9mm and a 6" barrel...but, what strikes me is that the barrel has the serial number and the BP symbol stamped in the collar of the barrel (collar is probably not the right term, but the narrow area just before the barrel meets the receiver) I believe it is a BP symbol, I could have this wrong...

My question: Was there ever a 9mm Swiss Luger manufactured with a 6" barrel?

If the barrel was unmarked, I would not be as curious, but, since the barrel has the serial number and BP symbol, similar to many 30 cal 4.5" Lugers I have seen, I thought perhaps this was a factory optioned Luger...

The serial number is 715XX

I did read that some high profile shooting competition was won (Olympics????) with a long barreled Swiss 9mm...given the success of the longer barrel 9mm in the competition, perhaps this was a popular modification to a standard 30 cal, 4'5" luger back in the day...

Any ideas would be appreciated...!!!

Will post pics shortly...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151208_140823.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	54871  

Name:	20151208_140852.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	54872  

Name:	20151208_140933.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	54873  

Name:	20151208_140902.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	54874  

Last edited by acastell; 12-10-2015 at 01:19 PM.
acastell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
acastell
User

This post had pictures...given I did not purchase the Luger, I felt is best to remove the pictures....not sure of standard protocol, but seems the right thing to do...

Last edited by acastell; 12-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Unread 12-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
acastell
User

And while I understand it is difficult to assign a value perhaps you can comment if in fact this is re-barreled and not a factory option would this lower the value of the Luger or increase the value of the Luger or not have much effect either way as it probably makes it a better shooter and slightly less collectible

Please excuse the typos sending this from my iPhone voice to text
Unread 12-09-2015, 03:45 AM   #4
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

FWIK your pistol must have been produced in 1944
I've never seen any records confirming that a certain number of 1906/29 had a 6" barell.
I assume, but I could be wrong, that it either belonged to one of the "experimental" guns made in those late years for the Swiss Army, or perhaps more likely adapted by an armourer to satisfy a specific request by a private customer.
Nice gun anyway.
Unread 12-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
acastell
User

Many thanks for the insight....yes, you are correct, the year stamp confirms your hunch, it is 1944...

Any further thoughts on the following: If the second scenario is correct, 'adapted by an armorer', would said armorer likely add the serial number and BP stamp? Or, would they simply fit an unmarked barrel picked from a parts bin?

It is the presence of the serial number and BP stamp that has me so curious as these stampings match those found on standard barrel configurations...

Again, thank you for your thoughts...
Unread 12-09-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
kzullick
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The way I understood the experimental swiss Lugers was that they had a "P" prefix before the serial number which yours does not. I can only think this happened during refurbishing by the Swiss military postwar.
kzullick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
acastell
User

Thanks again for your feedback...it was very helpful...I am going to pass on this one...previous posts with pics and serial numbers have been edited as this is not my firearm...

Last edited by acastell; 12-10-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Unread 12-10-2015, 02:19 AM   #8
Sergio Natali
User

The prefix "P" before the s/n only ment "PRIVATE" gun, like mine pictured below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_SER8803.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	54867  

Unread 12-10-2015, 07:28 AM   #9
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acastell View Post
This post had pictures...given I did not purchase the Luger, I felt is best to remove the pictures....not sure of standard protocol, but seems the right thing to do...
The Forum prefers that you leave pictures up, attached to the thread. This eliminates confusion in the future, when someone Searches and finds this thread. Deleting the pictures renders this thread useless.

Luckily, I saved my copy of this thread, so I have the pictures intact.

I had never seen this variation, and added the pics to my archives.

It's too bad you didn't purchase it. It looks like an excellent example - I would not mind having it in my collection...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
Sergio Natali
User

Question

Quote:

Simply can't understand.
Unread 12-10-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Thanks again for your feedback...it was very helpful...I am going to pass on this one...previous posts with pics and serial numbers have been edited as this is not my firearm...
And all educational value of this post was lost.

It is not necessary to delete just because you did not buy - the
pictures are in the ether forever anyway!
Unread 12-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #12
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
And while I understand it is difficult to assign a value perhaps you can comment if in fact this is re-barreled and not a factory option would this lower the value of the Luger or increase the value of the Luger or not have much effect either way...
I am not knowledgeable about Swiss Lugers but to my admittedly ignorant mind this Luger has a number of features that I find interesting and desirable, and whether the barrel is OEM or an arsenal refurb matters little to me. I would have paid upwards of $2,000 for it, but more enlightened collectors may value it at a higher price.
Unread 12-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #13
acastell
User

I do agree, the pictures will help further the study for future browsers...pics added back to the original post...

Sheepherder, agreed, it would make a wonderful addition to the collection with some very desirable features geared to enhance the shooting experience...

Lugerparabellum...seems the P before the serial number serves the same purpose at an isolated 'P' stamp, show the soldier privatized the firearm...I have also seen where the 'P' is followed by a year signifying the year in which the luger was privatized...

Anyone want to venture a guess on a reasonable value??? Agreed with Sheepherder, 2K seems like a very nice price to obtain such an example...
The following member says Thank You to acastell for your post:
Unread 12-10-2015, 03:54 PM   #14
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The "BP" stamp on the barrel is more like a reverse B and P brand. I think that makes it a Swiss barrel. If the Germans had made this gun or a gunsmith for Olympic class shooting, they would have included an adjustable rear sight. I think it's interesting and valuable as a Swiss 9mm long barrel. Nice finish, too!

I have never noticed a grip safety like that one or smooth toggle grips, either.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #15
acastell
User

Well, all the fuss I made about the pictures was not needed after all, as I purchased the Luger today...it was too nice to pass up!
Unread 12-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #16
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Well, all the fuss I made about the pictures was not needed after all, as I purchased the Luger today...it was too nice to pass up!
Excellent! Here is what attracted me to this Luger, as compared to my 1937 'S/42' Mauser Luger, my 1900AE Luger, and my alphabet commercial (plus two 'mutt' P08 Lugers) -

- Smooth toggle knobs
- Smooth magazine button
- Smooth/round button safety lever
- Smooth takedown lever
- 3/4 Trigger
- Long grip safety
- Long sideplate hump
- Turned barrel extension [it's rounded!]
- Long barrel w/"1900" style sight blade
- Unrelieved sear bar
- "S" stamp on frame for safety ("F" as well?)
- Swiss cross on toggle

That is just the physical differences I can see; it would be interesting to see if it has the wide chamber mouth, what kind of magazine it has, if it is original finish or a hot dip (doesn't look like any buffing).

These may all be typical for a Swiss Luger, but I have never seen one in person, so to me they are 'differences'.

Ir would also be a guide to us who are envious of it to know how much you paid for it, and if from a dealer, individual, auction site/house, or whatever...
Unread 12-11-2015, 05:46 AM   #17
Sergio Natali
User

acastell

Excuse me what do you mean with "the P before the serial number serves the same purpose at an isolated 'P' stamp, show the soldier privatized the firearm..." Swiss soldiers never privatized any firearm, when the soldier left the Army, his gun was stamped with an isolated "P" or a P followed by the date it was privatized, in any case never in front of the s/n, then the gun given to him.
The letter "P" in front of the serial number only represented that the gun had never been issued to the Army but to the commercial market.
Unread 12-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #18
acastell
User

Sergio, excellent, that is what I thought..many thanks for confirming