LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 10-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
JimD
User

Default Replacing springs

What is the general opinion of replacing springs in shooter Lugers? The two I shoot are a 1920 Commercial in .30 and a 1936 S/42. Even though the Germans were really good at metallurgy and heat treating it seems to me that replacing 80-100 year old springs with new ones is cheap insurance. The Wolff kit comes with mainspring, firing pin spring, trigger spring and extractor spring. The guns function fine but I don't want to batter them with springs that may have taken a set.

Should any of the other springs be addressed?
Unread 10-30-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

I'd say it depends on whether or not the gun functions well (in addition to passing the "tape test." There is some wisdom in the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If other springs are in need of a change, they will have their ways of letting you know about it!
Unread 10-31-2017, 03:02 AM   #3
kurusu
User

I'm yet to see a modern Luger spring that matches the durability and quality of the originals.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 10-31-2017, 03:59 AM   #4
Zorba
User

I'm not an expert, and I don't play one on the Internet...

BUT

I *always* replace the recoil spring at the very least on *any* new-to-me semi auto pistol just as soon as I get it. The only exception was my recently acquired Broomhandle, and that was only because the seller of same had replaced it within recent memory.

Springs are cheap, pistols are not. Even if the original spring was originally better - so what? That was 70 years (or more) ago. Springs are cheap, that spring in the pistol may or may not be original anyway. Springs are cheap, you could replace the entire set every year and not spend the money the next cheapest part costs for decades. Springs are cheap.

Dem's my thoughts on the subject - as a tyro, I admit I could be wrong - but it works for me.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Wolf springs for the luger are "all over the place" with respect to length and "power".
You may or may not be improving your situation.

As you can see from the chart, the Germans(or someone) could not exactly make up their mind what spring was needed! JMHO.
Of particular note are the springs for the 1920 and 1923 commercial lugers- 7,65mm and 9mm the same-but '20 and '23 are different from each other, as the kids say- "go figure". I realize these are from measurement and may not be totally reliable, but are offered to put mainspring variations out for consideration!

I have used Wolf springs, but only after measurement. The first Wolf "Kit" I bought had 3 different stregnth mainsprings or was supposed to; the 34 lb spring was longer and stronger than the 38 lb- at least the way they were labeled.

If you must mess with your spring, take it out, measure the wire diameter and number of turns and the free length. Compare with the table that is available.

Then decide what to do, and by all means compare the "new" spring to the old and the chart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mainsprings.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	69590  

The following 9 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 10-31-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
4 Scale
User

My understanding from some reading and talking to those more expert than myself is that high quality coil springs, such as used in Lugers, do not wear out progressively. I.e., they do not become weaker or lose tension over time during normal use. Like any other part of the pistol they can break, suffer corrosion and the like but these can be detected by inspection. On any Luger purchase I disassemble and inspect all parts under magnification.

I replace or adjust springs if inspection or improper function indicates a need. Otherwise, I leave the springs alone. The Luger is a balanced system and replacing springs on a properly functioning pistol may degrade function, requiring further action to restore function.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 10-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #7
Rick W.
User

Jim,

I have to admire the craftsmanship and knowledge that goes into the Luger assembly. Materials have changed I think over the years. That said, the Luger materials have weathered a lot of storms. People tell me that making a spring has its nuiances, when you get done, either you have a spring or you don't.........

I shoot my Lugers; what a pleasure that is. With each new one to me acquired, I am just accustomed to replacing the recoil spring at a minimum. I use Wolff just because I have some and been ok with them. I have noticed that some of the Wolff recoil springs are longer, but seemed to work for me.

If I was pondering such, I would certainly buy or build a recoil tool like some shown on this forum, kinda an awl looking affair with a bend at the nose. Gives you leverage for the coil spring compression. Of course, if you are handy; make your own. I used a pair of pliers and a rod for years, but cannot say that was intelligent, worked; but not intelligent.

Did I mention safety glasses, folks(user or helpers) only get one set of peepers.

I would examine the ramps for galling from the toggles hitting the ramps abbynormally hard and the area of the frame behind the toggle(just above the lanyard loop) for bite. Some guns will give some mark(two side by side marks on the frame), some will be well bitten. The tape test visited here during a firing session will help judge, as will your hand during firing (sting).

Some will tailor reloads or ammo to the pistol. I prefer to handload myself, and will tune the load to just function from the magazine and then a bit more.

Wolff may offer 36,38,40lb rates for Lugers. I have only used the 38lb in my Lugers, I have 36's for 30's, but never used them in the 30 Luger or the 7.65x19 wildcat. Perhaps my lot of springs was ok; I never worried about it, worked.

The other spring I would look at is the extractor spring. See if the extractor can clear an empty shell in the chamber. The spring stack up in my opinion has to be able to allow the nose of the extractor over the case rim without springing of the extractor itself. If the extractor starts acting like a primary spring, because the little spring is too long and stack up jam occurs, the extractor will probably start to fracture and fail. Easy to do, could save an expensive part.

I think the recoil mechanism is fairly complex as are most autoloaders. The recoil spring is a major player in all of this, but the condition of the rails(tightness, sprung) will contribute to the friction resistance. Another is the ammo load itself, way up there in pressure works great but batters, too low......jams. Kinda like the 3 bears and their bowls of porridge huh?

The leaf springs for the sear and the ejector itself. I just test for tension ability and the ability to move like they should in range. Harder to find than coil springs, I have replaced one sear spring that went out into the blue(snapped) at the range one time.

I remember some discussion about making new coil recoil springs on this forum, you might try a quickie search if so interested

Rick W.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 6 members says Thank You to Rick W. for your post:
Unread 10-31-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
Did I mention safety glasses, folks(user or helpers) only get one set of peepers.
This very thought occurred to me the other day, whilst I was re-assembling a 1911 recoil spring plug...The barrel bushing was tight, and the Colt bushing tool slipped off. The plug caromed off the side of my head and has not yet been found.

I was able to get a new plug from Numrich [$26]. But it was a close call.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2017, 09:10 AM   #9
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default springs

Hi to all, a lot of what makes a spring live is covered in the design, and the quality of materials? If a spring is design to work at max load and full compression every time, it will eventually, and continually weaken and sooner or later break?... The initial loss of length is called taking a set, and all coil springs do this to some extent. On the other hand, a spring that always operates in the middle of its work range will last for thousands of cycles, maybe even tens of thousands of cycles... But, Luger coil springs do not enjoy that luxury! Especially the main spring and extractor spring.... The Luger springs were engineered to fit a specific space to address a certain work load that was/is close to max performance demands with every cycle... It would be an interesting experiment to put in a new spring, and measure it at 0 rounds, 10 rounds, 100 rounds, and 1000rounds... any significant change in length after 1000 rounds would probably dictate a change is needed... I know that the tape test is good for calibrating loads, but it doesn't really tell you witch is the culprit/ I find that a Luger with a weak or failing mainspring will not close consistently on the following round?.. New mainspring, and pow! Right back to normal function... best to all, til....lat'r.....GT ....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 10-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
JimD
User

This has been a very good discussion and has given me a lot to think about. After reading dome of the comments I disassembled my two shooters and noticed virtually no wear on the inside of the frames where the rear of the breech bolt would contact during recoil. The exterior of the frame, under the duck bill, has the typical wear marks but they are mostly blue wear with little or no metal wear. I think I'll leave the springs as they are for now and monitor the wear to the guns.

I do a LOT of gun work and wear reading glasses to see what I'm doing. But they also double as safety glasses. Always wear them when working with springs.
Unread 11-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #11
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
Hi to all, a lot of what makes a spring live is covered in the design, and the quality of materials? If a spring is design to work at max load and full compression every time, it will eventually, and continually weaken and sooner or later break?... The initial loss of length is called taking a set, and all coil springs do this to some extent. On the other hand, a spring that always operates in the middle of its work range will last for thousands of cycles, maybe even tens of thousands of cycles... But, Luger coil springs do not enjoy that luxury! Especially the main spring and extractor spring.... The Luger springs were engineered to fit a specific space to address a certain work load that was/is close to max performance demands with every cycle... It would be an interesting experiment to put in a new spring, and measure it at 0 rounds, 10 rounds, 100 rounds, and 1000rounds... any significant change in length after 1000 rounds would probably dictate a change is needed... I know that the tape test is good for calibrating loads, but it doesn't really tell you witch is the culprit/ I find that a Luger with a weak or failing mainspring will not close consistently on the following round?.. New mainspring, and pow! Right back to normal function... best to all, til....lat'r.....GT ....
GT,
About ten years ago, we were going to work on a main spring project together. Any update here?

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2017, 12:46 AM   #12
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Hi Bob,

When I had the magazine springs made, I had an in with the general manager who was not afraid to exceed his grasp on my project! In the interim, the spring company was bought out be a large corp. and all were let go, and so went the main spring project... repeated contact efforts was met with the standard corporate, "we don't know what your talking about!" ........ I wouldn't mind revisiting the project, but I've so much on my plate already, that it seems unlikely in the immediate future... But, I'm still learning! You'd think I'd be past that.... ... So, anything is still possible! best to you Bob, til....lat'r.....GT....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2017, 05:10 AM   #13
Leendert1988
New User

This is an interesting topic, because I was still in doubt whether I would change the main spring in my BYF 41. It does feel much less strong when I work the action then the one in the p08 of a friend of mine. I also found some damage on the back of the frame.

But my question now is. Is Wolff the best option out there?
Leendert1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #14
Schutzenbob
User

I'm in a quandary.....but I think the correct way to handle it, would be to replace the mainspring. I recently bought a 1920 Commercial 7.65 which is in excellent + condition, but has a very stiff mainspring. My normal reloads, and including some factory Fiocchi ammo, won't cycle at all; the breech comes back and cocks, but then slams the fired case back into the chamber. I'm guessing that someone put a 9mm spring in it. I really don't want to load-up hotter ammo. Your comments will be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-04-30 2018-04-30 001 001.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	72236  

Name:	2018-04-30 2018-04-30 001 002.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	72237  

Last edited by Schutzenbob; 04-30-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Schutzenbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2018, 11:35 PM   #15
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Bob,
post pictures of the "damage".

DWM used the same spring for .30 and 9mm at times. See the attached chart.
Factory Fiocchi(some boxes/lots/variants) are know to be "weak" and won't fully function a luger.
Try some PPU(Privi Partizan)- they usually work.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mainsprings.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	72221  

The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 04-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #16
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
This very thought occurred to me the other day, whilst I was re-assembling a 1911 recoil spring plug...The barrel bushing was tight, and the Colt bushing tool slipped off. The plug caromed off the side of my head and has not yet been found.

I was able to get a new plug from Numrich [$26]. But it was a close call.
That 1911 recoil spring plug is about .45 caliber if I remember correctly... so you can now say you have shot yourself in the temple with a .45 and survived...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #17
Rick W.
User

Bob,

When I re-spring a Luger, I will reach for the bag of 38 lb Wolff springs; I pay no attention as to 30 or 9mm chambering. Just one opinion. I have never clipped a coil off a Luger replacement spring fwiw. I have 36 lb and 40 lb springs, but all they do is gather dust so far. As you, I try to cater the load of the day to the desires of the firearm itself, and try not to beat the pistol apart during shooting(enjoying it). Hot loads will run a Luger at times, but the contact surfaces pay for it.........sooner or later. Super hot loads in a Luger always bothered me because of the cuts int he chamber entry, ie a form of gapspace....just a remembrance, nothing else there.

Due to old habits with Lugers, I never load more than 5 in the magazine, old magazines/cracked wood made me a believer fwiw.

My Luger loads are probably in the middle range of published reference reloading data. I use 80 to 100 gr bullets(30 cal) and Unique powder. Unique has gotten a bit cleaner but still not as good in clean as newer powders, but I still have cannisters of it to use up. I have started to venture into resizing 312 bullets down to 309 for flexibility, jury is still out, but at least trying to be open minded.

It takes a bit of hand strength to change the recoil spring in a Luger, the tool like you see here on the forum made similar to an bent awl will give you leverage. The note above on safety glasses I am sure you will heed for all of us, being a shooter type; sight is precious even if one does not have a lot of time.

I have not used factory ammo for years other than carry qualifications, and that was for a cocked/locked 1911 45acp.

One might query and look at the ejector nose/fitment, used guns sometimes surprise the buyers......like me. Things I would have never thought of, I saw in some preowned guns............after I bought of course.

I use the tape test mentioned here on the forum to check for excessive movement rearward of the toggle mechanism. Not all inclusive, but better than just using the feel in the hand(sting). I have the old notion that heavy toggle slap to the frame surfaces will eventually cause issues to said frame and user.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Rick W. for your post:
Unread 04-30-2018, 03:26 PM   #18
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I agree with Rick W. I have been handloading for my Lugers, especially the 7.65P ones, for many years. I try to keep my loads as close to the original factory loads as possible using 92gr. lead and FMJ bullets and Unique powder. My Lugers seem to agree with the recoil impulse produced with Unique powder, so I stick with it. I have used other faster powders, but was not overly pleased with the results.

As to springs, I have the "calibration packs" from Wolff Springs and just do a trial and error approach to what each Luger is happy with when using my handloads. When I do shoot factory ammo in these Lugers, they seem to be o.k. with that ammo as well.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 04-30-2018, 04:11 PM   #19
kurusu
User

If you really want to know about Luger springs. Consider this. The ejector, in a Luger, is basically a spring. The only ones I saw break, including in one of mine, were modern reproductions.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 04-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #20
Schutzenbob
User

These are some dividers I bought at a yard sale which had been modified, and so I repurposed them. This is an easy way to remove or replace a mainspring, and you don't have to be Charles Atlas to do it;
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-05-01 Luger Mainspring 001.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	72248  

Schutzenbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 13 members says Thank You to Schutzenbob for your post: