LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 08-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
tyler9274
New User

Default New Memeber...need some help!

Recently picked up a luger from the RIA auction. 41 dated mixed numbers. I went to the range yesterday and she was giving me a bit of trouble.

Pistol fires first round, ejects spent brass, and chambers next round....but when i go to pull the trigger on the 2nd round i get nothing. Not even a click. I have to manually co*k it with the toggle to get it to fire. Anyone seen this before?

I did a function test. If i pull the trigger and keep it held while cocking the gun i get the same thing.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. This is my first luger and all i want to do is shoot the dang thing!

Tyler
tyler9274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Fairly common problem, usually caused by a sticking disconnector...the little plunger at the end of the sear bar that the trigger presses against to fire the gun. Soak it in a light oil and make sure it moves freely. Look for a video on line that shows how to disassemble a Luger to find out how to remove the sear bar.
Ron
Unread 08-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
tyler9274
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
Fairly common problem, usually caused by a sticking disconnector...the little plunger at the end of the sear bar that the trigger presses against to fire the gun. Soak it in a light oil and make sure it moves freely. Look for a video on line that shows how to disassemble a Luger to find out how to remove the sear bar.
Ron

Sear plunger moves freely and is lubed up....maybe the trigger lever isnt engaging with the plunger like it should??
Unread 08-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9274 View Post
Sear plunger moves freely and is lubed up....maybe the trigger lever isnt engaging with the plunger like it should??
Also check if the trigger return spring is't too week/replaced /cut. Easiest way to check it. Push the top end of the trigger against the trigger guard and then pull the trigger again, if it releases the striker the spring is the culprit.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to kurusu for your post:
Unread 08-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
4 Scale
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler9274 View Post
Yes, that can cause the issue as well. For starters, verify that the trigger lever has a bevel where it engages the plunger.

Other diagnostic steps include separating the pistol into upper and lower sections and testing function of all parts involved in c0cking/firing.
1. On the upper you should be able to c0ck the firing pin, then release the firing pin with modest pressure on the sear.
2. On the frame, you should also be able to fit the side plate to the frame and observe if the trigger lever is operating properly.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 08-05-2018, 10:01 PM   #6
tyler9274
New User

Think i fixed it gents. the trigger now resets as it should. The trigger lever was at an acute angle interfering with the sear plunger....
The following 2 members says Thank You to tyler9274 for your post:
Unread 08-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #7
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Use great care when working with the trigger linkage. This is an area that required experienced hand fitting in the factory, and is one reason the parts are numbered. One side plate in 10,000 matches the numbering of Lugers in this era.

You may enjoy our FAQ PDF document. Just follow the FAQ link at the top of every forum page.

Welcome to the forum.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post: