LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 07-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
bulldog645
New User

Default M2 Portuguese

Greeting: I am new to the forum and an excited novice concerning Lugers. I just acquired by inheritance a M2 number 430 cal 7.65. All other external numbers seem to check. The magazine has the small triangle within a circle on the wooden bottom and appears to be original to the pistol. I know that it was brought back from Europe in 1945 and has remained within the family since then. To my knowledge, it has never been fired since we have possessed it.

The David Eash chart has proved to be most helpful. It appears to be 430/5000 of the 1909 Army batch. Are there any other markings that can verify such? On the underside of the barrel is the same triangle within a circle symbol as on the magazine and the number 430 but no other barrel proof markings. The frame on the left side above the take down lever and on the rear of the frame has this same mark. All other numbers are either 430 or 30. It has the M2 crest and DWM markings. There is a small chip on the left grip below the base of the safety which I understand is fairly normal for Lugers.

Any info to help verify what I think I have will be most appreciated. I would post pictures but I am not computer savy enough to do so.

I have enjoyed surfing the forum. Knowledge here is awesome.

Bob

Last edited by bulldog645; 07-29-2010 at 07:37 AM. Reason: caliber description error
bulldog645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,090 Times in 1,675 Posts

Really not much more info needed. Your gun sounds exactly correct...it is 1909 Army contract piece. Your correct magazine is a nice plus. They are a bit more scarce than the gun itself. Remarkable that it has remained in your family since 1945! Glad you ended up with it. Sorry to hear you can't post photos. What would be your estimate of the condition?
Thanks
Ron
Unread 07-08-2010, 03:05 AM   #3
bulldog645
New User

Default Portugese Luger

Thanks for the prompt response. I will try to have my son in Dallas take pictures when he is home next and post them.

Pistol is in excellent condition. No pits, rust or apparent buff marks. Grips excellent except for small chip on left grip under the safety. This was my GF's pistol passed on to my dad and then recently to me. I am surprised to learn that the mag is worth as much as the weapon itself. Amazing.
bulldog645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

I moved this to its own thread.

Look forward to seeing pictures.

Ed

PS: Mag being less common doesn't equal more value