LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-20-2004, 03:16 PM   #1
DanM
User

Post My first Luger

I recently purchased a 4" byf41 with import marks on the barrel. After I got all the cosmoline cleaned off, I ended up with a fine looking pistol. I assume it has been reblued, since there is no wear on the finish, and I can see some small worn areas that have been filled in with the new dark blue-black finish. Everything matches except for the grips and the forced side plate. The pistol shoots pretty well with Winchester 115gr. white box ammo, with a failure to eject about every 50 rounds. I am thinking the white box 115s may be a little soft for this pistol. Groups are 3-4" high at 25'. I have a few questions, about this shooter, to get started with:
Should I replace all the springs on general principal? Wolff, or other?
Are the high groups normal? Can I get a taller front sight?
The bore has some pitting, and is worn to .357-.358". I may try loading some .358" cast RN pills, hoping for better groups. Any suggestions here?
Any advice will be appreciated....DanM

Josey Wales: "I reckon not."
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2004, 12:03 AM   #2
pipeman45
User

I too had trouble getting a good group when I first shot my Luger. The harder I tried the worse they got. In a fit of rage I let go with a whole clip as fast as I could put the front sight on center of target. It was the best group I shot that day! You could cover all 8 shots with a little more than a silver dollar. If you learn the secrete of shooting these,please pass it on. As for me I think I just need more trigger time.
pipeman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2004, 12:13 AM   #3

Dan,

You will probably get lots of answers, but I'll give you mine. These guns seem to have sights regulated for 50 yards or more and usually shoot high at 50' or 25 yards where I do most of my shooting. You could probably have a higher front sight made or just let the tip of the front sight sink down in the rear sight notch about 2/3 of the way when sighting which is what I do. Seems to me somebody mentioned that a P-38 sight will fit and is a little higher than the Luger's.

I like Wall Mart winchester in the bulk pack of 100 for about $10.70 which is pretty cheap for new 9 mm. Other ammo is hotter or you could load your own (I can't be bothered). I would suggest that you clean and oil the gun and put a couple of hundred rounds through it before messing with the springs if it only goofs up every 50 rounds. You could try a Mec Gar magazine--I have these in my two shooters and they work flawlessly if the guns are clean. My Lugers need cleaning and oiling every 100 rounds or so to be 100%. These aren't 1911s that work clean or dirty.

Good luck and have fun.