LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 01-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #1
hayhugh
User

Default Eyes and ears

Want to get back into the shooting game. When I was a kid I would shoot anything that moved in the woods around Warren Pa. When I was in the US Army I competed in the Marksmanship meets between different Forts both large bore and small bore. In all that time protection for the eyes and ears was not a consideration. I probably can blame some of my limited use of those senses on that time of my life.

I know that some of you shooters have tried different types and brands of ear and eye protection over the years and I would like your suggestions on what I should buy. Thank you, Hugh

PS, I do wear glasses, but only to see...

Last edited by hayhugh; 01-28-2015 at 07:30 PM. Reason: More info.
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayhugh View Post
I know that some of you shooters have tried different types and brands of ear and eye protection over the years...
I wear those yellow foam ear inserts that you roll up and stick in...If I roll them tight enough and stick them in far enough, I can't hear the guy next to me...I also have the ear muffs but these are better IMO...

Sometimes the simplest things are the best.

(I been using these since Parris Island 1970)...
Attached Images

sheepherder is online now   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 01-29-2015, 04:38 AM   #3
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Personally I always use Peltor ear muffs, sometimes I like to put on electronic ones, especially at the open range.
Unread 01-29-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

For ear protection, I use the Peltor Tactical Pro electronic earmuffs, and for the eyes I have a pair of prescription polycarbonate shooting glasses. I did as you in my early days, especially around jet aircraft, and now am paying the price.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 01-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I shoot ALOT of trap, and use both custom molded ear plugs AND Peltor Shotgunner headset. The combo. doesn't work so great for a casual conversation, but it seems very protective.
No experience with the electronic muffs, yet.
I use a Randolph Engineering clear prescription eyeglass with tinted clip-ons for my vision needs.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 01-30-2015, 02:09 AM   #6
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

Wow, I was just thinking today that I hope I'm around long enough to clue the grand-kid in about taking care of stuff like this. I have tinnitus (Harpies singing?) on top of high frequency loss. The former is sometimes interesting in its side variations. There is a constant high-pitched ringing in both ears, but occasionally it is augmented by clicking sounds, and sometimes little bells jingling. I was getting complaints from the girlfriend I had about twenty years ago, that she was having to repeat everything to me. I called the Audiology Department at Ithaca College and spoke with an audiologist. We determined that since I'd subjected my ears to trap and skeet in the 70's, then the small Makita grinders in the 80's, I likely had high frequency loss. I learned then that women's voices, as he said, occupy the same frequency range as Makita grinders!
Unread 01-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
...then the small Makita grinders in the 80's, I likely had high frequency loss. I learned then that women's voices, as he said, occupy the same frequency range as Makita grinders!
I also have high freq hearing loss, and have trouble understanding the short girl on 'Big Bang Theory'...I can't make out what she says...

But all people read lips to some extent. If I am talking to high-pitch squeaky girl and watching her lips, I can understand her. Back in military, I had some hearing loss [high freq] due to noise exposure. That led to my stay at Philly Naval Hospital. I took rehab course in lip reading. Very helpful.

When I was newly in USPS, they offered night course in 'signing'. I wanted to take it, but transferred to another station before I could sign up [no pun intended]. I would still like to learn it. Maybe old folks home will have course.
sheepherder is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
MikeP
User

High frequency loss is the first part to go and kind of a natural progression.
Obviously , like Tinnitis, some of these progressions are enhanced by activities and personal environment.
Welcome to effects of the ageing process which as young bucks we thought was good for laughs.
I keep the "close caption" enabled on my TV as I can't understand half of what actors say.
It is a fact that newer and younger actors do not have speech training or presence that the old timers had. A lot of them are mumbling.
Newspeople and others who are better trained and more professional are much easier to understand.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to MikeP for your post:
Unread 01-30-2015, 11:11 PM   #9
Diver6106
User

Yah Mike, I've retired from DIA but have some hearing loss from one day in the mortar pit out at Niland with SEAL Team ONE. Always made sure I had hearing protection after that. I like the three section baffle plugs the Army used. The sponge ones you roll and shrink with your fingers then stick in your ears expand afterwards. Then I can feel the pressure and get sore ear canals from them. Glad to hear you are still shooting your collection.
Diver6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Diver6106 for your post:
Unread 01-31-2015, 02:28 AM   #10
MikeP
User

I always wonder about single incidents unless they involve blown out ear drums or something.
I began shooting high powered rifles and handguns as a kid.
No protection.
In basic training we wore plugs.
After that nothing.

I have fired thousands of 5.56 and 7.62 and hundreds of 60-4.2 mortar rounds.
I have been in front of 105 and 155 tubes many times.
Fired thousands of '06 and 8mm plus others through the present. Lots of BP as well.
Live on a farm and shoot where and when I please.

Lots of abuse, but hearing is pretty much age specific and not really damaged IMO.
I hear noises quite well, but converstion level stuff is a problem. Young women on the phone are difficult. I am told that is about what I should expect at my age.
I often wear ear buds on my phone if I have to call in somewhere. That helps immensely.
I am slow to cast blame on things-I have gone under a lot of self inflicted wear and tear over the years and wear my scars accordingly.
Ain't near through, yet.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 10:42 AM   #11
hayhugh
User

Diver6106,
Where would one find the " three section baffle plugs the Army used" now that you are out of the Service?
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #12
Curly1
User

I use a version of these I got about 25 years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Cease-...ustomerReviews

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Curly1 for your post:
Unread 01-31-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
Diver6106
User

The military ones come in small/medium/large and I have orange, but have seen OD. They are a good sponge rubber. My brother in law swears by the custom molded ones sold at most gun shows. They come in any color you want.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/521...h-plastic-case
http://www.militaryuniformsupply.com...ing-protection
http://www.galaxyarmynavy.com/hearin...p#.VM0jSGjF9B8
Diver6106 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Diver6106 for your post:
Unread 01-31-2015, 09:04 PM   #14
TheRomanhistorian
User

I just use the generic roll up and insert in ear hearing protection backed up with a set of the Winchester earmuffs and I wear my spectacles under my wrap-around eye protection. Call me paranoid! In the old days I'd just wear my prescription lenses but not since I switched to glass lenses!

Michael

Nos morituri te salutant - Supposed saying of the gladiators to the emperor ('We, who are about to die, salute you.')

'We are the lantern bearers, my friend; for us to keep something burning, to carry what light we can forward into the darkness and the wind' - From Rosemary Sutcliff's The Lantern Bearers
TheRomanhistorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2015, 09:57 PM   #15
Lyn Islaub
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Being 70 and having a severe case of CHS (Can't hear sh**) I bought a set of Howard Leicht Impact Sports ear muffs at the local range. They're electronic with volume control and make range shooting so much easier if you are with someone and need to talk.
Lyn
Lyn Islaub is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Lyn Islaub for your post: