LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 07-06-2015, 04:36 PM   #41
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default Russian Nagant

This gun is ruined!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	proof 004.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	50093  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2015, 04:46 PM   #42
Tomathvl
User

Ron, Marc thanks I had changed browser and it was at the bottom of screen.

Since marks can be removed a valuable pistol could be restored by removing marks and reblueing.
Have to be done by competent mechanic but doesn't appear to be a problem with what I see at gun shows.
Tomathvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #43
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Way to much effort! That will destroy it or lose it's luger virginity! Solution, buy one without import marks! It will be easier to sell later on. In twelve years I've never come across a luger with an importers name nor would I ever would purchase one! Of course now I now know where to look thanks good ole Bob!
Unread 07-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #44
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Eric,
Some of the Lugers (and other guns) in the Sturgess collection are so rare that you will never find another one without the import marking. So if you collect the rare stuff you very likely will have to live with an import marking.
Unread 07-06-2015, 07:41 PM   #45
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ron, rare lugers are a different matter. Its a matter of ambience. I love all lugers. I wouldn't mind owning one of Teds' beautiful restorations. They are part of one big category name "LUGERS" and their diversity is their charm makeing them all so appealing. My point is buy the best you can afford. You can't own them all! Unfortunatly! Tks Our favorite mentor!! Eric
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 07-07-2015, 06:33 AM   #46
alvin
User

Some relatively common guns from Sturgess collection also sold very high price, with importer marking. Probably Sturgess name attracted many bidders. Or, bidders don't know how to find one in similar overall condition outside of auction house sale. There could be many reasons. Simpson's marking is tiny, not very distracting, that's also a reason.

"buy the best you can afford" and "easier to sell later on" are not necessarily related IMO. Market reality is cheap guns being easier to sell, and expensive items has lots of uncertainty. I played Nagant 1895 and Yugo SKS some years ago, Nagant was $75, SKS was $160 (?). For "easier to sell later", they are the best, all of them sold easily, I would think it's kind of boring if only play Nagant and SKS. But I did see some collectors bought hundreds, and love them.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #47
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Alvin, Is there a site where I can take a look at the Sturgess beauties! Eric
Unread 07-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #48
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Eric, much of Geoffrey's collection was used in and photographed in detail for his book. If you don't have a copy, the DVD version with a PDF file is very affordable and has very good photographic coverage of many from his collection. You can get the book and DVD versions from Simpson's.
Unread 07-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #49
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thank Marc, Yes it is an awesome 3 volume book. I misplaced the cds but I will find them! Looks like we only have scratched the surface before. To fill 3 volumes is miracle in of its self! One word describes it~AWESOME~ I realized I know almost a small amount on lugering! Their books remind me of our books in law school except our were only half as large! TKS Eric
Unread 07-07-2015, 06:51 PM   #50
AR-50A1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
Hi Eric,

Here is a link to The Julia auction that was conducted in March page 2). Scroll down and the Lugers will begin to appear.

In order to see what the guns sold for you need to log in. It doesn't cost anything to create an account.

Bill

http://jamesdjulia.com/auction/373-m...ues/?session=2
AR-50A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #51
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I was able to display only luger!http://jamesdjulia.com/?s=lugers&pos...meta_value=373 Pretty low prices! Thanks Bill~~Good suggestion, I signed up!!They keep your password for future auctions~~Only 18 lugers and low result! Maybe a different client base! The set their estimates and so a buyer believes thats all it worth! Not me, never ever!!
Unread 07-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #52
alvin
User

Having said that,,, however, I'm like Eric, I usually buy the best that I can afford. Not really because they are the best value for reselling, but they do look very desirable to me.

Sometimes, very attractive gun is very pricey. Sturgess' Turkish Conehammer was a typical example.. Say, if I stretched hard, I could compete a little bit, probably would not win it, but would increase winner's cost further... not an easy decision to make... so, let it go.
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 07-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #53
AR-50A1
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Try this link http://jamesdjulia.com/catalog-archive/?division=596
AR-50A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to AR-50A1 for your post:
Unread 07-07-2015, 09:51 PM   #54
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

The average German was given a luger for his respective service. Thats what began the love affair that is as addicting today. I have an artillery luger I bought from George Anderson that was born as an Imperial in 1914 and then reissued a Weimer in 1920 and The Nazi navy in the 1930s. It passed through many owners and three different volatile periods and wound up in my hands! Priceless! These are more valuable to me than any prototypes. Every luger played it own individual role in world history! Their lives continue passing on to every following chapter of life. Really ownership is mearly a right to possess for a time until past on. Its great if we can provide some of its past even if we will never knew the names of its prior owners but can often trace it military accomplishments through it markings~ Nothing else come close! ~Eric
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post:
Unread 07-07-2015, 10:58 PM   #55
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
The average German was given a luger for his respective service. Thats what began the love affair that is as addicting today. I have an artillery luger I bought from George Anderson that was born as an Imperial in 1914 and then reissued a Weimer in 1920 and The Nazi navy in the 1930s. It passed through many owners and three different volatile periods and wound up in my hands! Priceless! These are more valuable to me than any prototypes. Every luger played it own individual role in world history! Their lives continue passing on to every following chapter of life. Really ownership is mearly a right to possess for a time until past on. Its great if we can provide some of its past even if we will never knew the names of its prior owners but can often trace it military accomplishments through it markings~ Nothing else come close! ~Eric
+10,
Got to love the history contained on and in these pieces!
That is one reason i like the police Lugers so much, most of them had at least two lives; and many three, and a few four!

I hope I have an Imperial, Weimar, Nazi, Vopo on the way - even as we write!
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2015, 11:55 PM   #56
alvin
User

Just reviewed Sturgess sessions. Remembered one thing.

Initially, I thought the added latch on the following one being circularly rotatable, wondered how it works, and drove hundreds of miles there to see how it works (not only for this, of course). With it in hand, it's so disappointing -- this old modification is not imaginative at all, simply has a front end which can move inward and outward, the "latch" was just a flat spring, and it's very hard to operate.

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/2207-373/