LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 09-08-2005, 11:22 AM   #21
unspellable
User

Default update

I now have one pledge from the S&W forum for the Luger. The S&W is a fairly desirable one, you'd think the S&W guys would go for it.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2005, 05:28 PM   #22
ken d
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Noel:
Check for $20. in the mail. Good luck on your raffle.

Regards Ken D
ken d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2005, 06:07 PM   #23
unspellable
User

Default good News, Bad News

We now have at least $500 pledged on the Luger. (Several of you said you were sending a check, but not for how much, so I put you down for $20 for the time being.) So we have a pretty good start here, we are 42% of the way to the minimum.

On the negative side, the raffle offer has been removed from the S&W forum on grounds the forum owner does not know me that well. Guess I have to accept his decison on that. (His forum handle is Parabellum, with a handle like that I would think he would be seen around here. Do we have a member list somewhere?) I expected the majority of the subscriptions for the S&W to come from that forum, so now I'm a little dubious about whether we will make the lower limit on the S&W. We only have $40 pledged so far. (Guess I shouldn't sob and moan, if the subscription falls short I get to keep my pretty M25 for the cost of the postage it takes to return the money.) But we'll leave it open for a little while and see what happens.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged
Unread 09-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #24
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Noel, I thought if the money didn't reach your reserve it would be sent to the Hurricane relief anyway?
Wish you all the best...You should keep posting on Jan Stills forum to keep it in active topics, I am sure there are some fellows that do not know about this yet and would want a ticket. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2005, 08:03 PM   #25
unspellable
User

If the money does not reach the reserve it will be either refunded or sent on to the relief funds. Subscriber's option.
Unread 09-09-2005, 01:19 AM   #26
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

and it's just a $100 buck-a-roos from me, wanted to get the ball rolling I have also found that some folks will send money but not tell you, so hopefully that will work out too...

but like Jerry said, the reminding makes a differnce, I think I "topped" it on both forums, if not, I will.

I am sitting in Vancouver BC, will go on the ship tomorrow afternoon

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #27
unspellable
User

Default update

I ame are cancling the S&W deal due to lack of interest.

Meanwhile, $520 in checks for the Luger have arrived. Let's get this up to $1200 folks, and have a real raffle.

If you don't have room in your safe for an unfired Luger, it's time you got another safe.
Unread 09-13-2005, 06:50 PM   #28
Rod WMG
User

My check is being prepared to head your way.
Rod WMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2005, 08:32 PM   #29
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

OK - I'll reply - as I need a minty Luger.....

As many know - I run a number of gun and auto sites. For that, I'm totally selfish - and run only sites that interest me.. For example - I run Rennlist which has about 34000 users and 250000 site visitors a day. Since I drive Porsches, and have rebuilt them for 25+ years as my hobby - and since I collect Lugers, hence - this site. And since I like PP & PPK/P 38s - the P 38 Forum...

On Rennlist - we have raised over $98,000 in this copied post and another drive to date - and the post below is replicated across all the sub-forums. I'm proud of that - and the folks who have donated (this is just one of the copies) Jen and I kicked it off with a $100 pledge over a week ago:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=226398

So - here is the deal.....

I work my butt off to pay for this site each day, as I work 3 full time jobs. I have no commercial bent. I, like other LugerForum Patrons - dig deep to keep it going each and every day. And it is worth it - at least to me. So.....

Unspellable - you keep this going. It's worth the effort. If you end up "short" on the raffle price after you close it - you simply e-mail me and I'll buy the remaining tickets to put it over the $1200 edge. I just want to be in the drawing....

Thanks for what you are doing....

John D.
John D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2005, 06:27 PM   #30
maddog350gt
User

unspellable

I hope I am not too late to get in on this, I am sending you a check for $20 for the Luger raffle.

John D, Ed T, or John S, why don't you put a sticky on this to keep it at the top of the listing? I know a lot of member would respond but some of them are like me and don't look at all the listings each day.

Thanks and keep up the good work,
Bob M.
maddog350gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #31
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

It is now a "sticky", i was traveling and at 40 cents a minute, I was not on the interent very often!

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2005, 09:32 AM   #32
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Sorry, I have been outta touch a few days working on other aspects of homeland security...

MY paypal payment should reach you today if you will take paypal... Please post here if you will... and the email address where it can be sent.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2005, 08:01 AM   #33
unspellable
User

John, I'm not set up for Pay Pal. I caught my long distance company double dipping in my checking account, so having been once burned, I balked at letting Pay Pal have access. Also figured it was a bit much since they would already have access to my credit card account. I get a bit paranoid about this sort of thing.
Unread 09-20-2005, 08:15 AM   #34
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

No problem, I will drop a check in the mail today.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
Unread 09-20-2005, 06:28 PM   #35
unspellable
User

Default Update

I have now received checks totaling $540 for the raffle. John Sabato says he is sending one, so that will bring it up to at least $560.

John D. has been kind enough to say that he will buy how ever many chances it takes to get this over the minumum, so it looks like we are good for go.

Come on guys! You can find a place for an unfired Luger. Don't let John D. hog ALL the chances. Besides, this is for charity, we want to push it above $1200. I'd buy a chance myself, except that they say you should avoid the appearance of impropriety.

I have one check from California. Will california allow this pistol to come into the state? I'm not completely up to speed on Califronia regs.
Unread 09-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #36
Heinz
User

Noel, I am putting a check in the mail tomorrow. Will you be selling the S and W chances on this forum also? That is my all time favorite caliber!
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 08:01 AM   #37
unspellable
User

The S&W forum will not allow posting this raffle on their site. I expected the main body of subscribers for the S&W raffle to come from there. So the S&W raffle has been cancled for lack of interest.
Unread 09-21-2005, 08:19 AM   #38
unspellable
User

I have received a query about receipts or numbers for checks sent in. As far as the numbers are concerned, it is my intention to wait until all names have been put on the list and then assign a random number from the Excel RAND() function, sort the list on that number so that I have the names in random order, and then number them 1,2,3,4, etc. I will then use RAND() to pick one of the numbers. Sort of a double random selection if you follow me.

The alternative would be to assign numbers more or less i nthe order I have received the checks and then we have numbers sooner.

More to the point for now, is the idea of a receipt. The easy thing for me to do would be to post the list here rather than send out individual mailings, and if any body spots an omission they can yell. The drawback to this is there may be some one who wishes to preserve their privacy.

What's the general opinion on this?
Unread 09-21-2005, 11:30 AM   #39
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

For those that desire privacy or anonymity... you can just put ANON-01, ANON-02 etc. for the names on the list you post and then notifiy the individuals which ANON-XX they are...

While the assignment of random numbers in an Excel spreadsheet sound good to me, I think most of the participants would be more comfortable with a disinterested party like your wife or child (if you have either) selecting the numbers out of a hat...

Just my $0.02

keep up the good work.

Unread 09-21-2005, 01:48 PM   #40
unspellable
User

To date, no one has stated they do or don't want anonymity. The question has not arisen until now. If no one objects before hand, I'll just post a list here in a day or so.

As for having the wife draw a number, it had occurred to me I could put the numbers inside empty 7.65 mm Parabellum cases and have her draw one from the lot. It would be fitting to use Parabellum brass. It's my wife's hand you see in Mauro's pictures of Mauser 29/70 #19 if you've seen a hand in the pictures.

We have a daughter in Arizona and one at the opposite end of Iowa so they are not handy to do the drawing.