LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-10-2001, 11:00 AM   #1
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts
Default What's with ""call and make an offer?""

I got a major complaint with the people on the classifieds turning the offer to sell into an auction. You look up a pistol for sale or anything else and the sale price is "make an offer" What happned to the good ole fashioned, I know it's worth and this is what I want? You got the cash and it's yours...Somthing wrong here. Anyone else have an opinion about this? Jerry

Unread 09-10-2001, 12:36 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default I'm with you Jerry, If they want an auction there are sites for that! (EOM)

Unread 09-10-2001, 12:39 PM   #3
Luke
User

Default AGREE (EOM)

Unread 09-10-2001, 01:45 PM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

Default I WILL DRINK TO THAT (EOM)

Unread 09-10-2001, 02:28 PM   #5
Ad.

Default Re: What's with ""call and make an offer?""

I sluff off that kind of stuff

Unread 09-10-2001, 02:36 PM   #6
Don
User

Default Re: I just don't call em (EOM)

Unread 09-10-2001, 02:49 PM   #7
mlm

If there is reason to believe the individual is OPEN to reasonable offers and is not sure about the selling price (I start on this assumption set), I contact them and ask for detailed information about the piece needed to estimate value. From the condition information, I suggest a value range then close with, "I will offer you $X based on the condition. This is about 80% of the common sales price of your item and I might offer more if it were in front of me. If you receive another offer, consider contacting me because there is a strong likelihood I can beat that offer. If there is any other information that you have to encourage me to make a higher offer, let me know and if you have a counter offer I want to hear that, too. Thanks for describing your gun to me."

That is how I handle nebulous requests for offers. In the two situations I recall, the seller offered a price when I contacted by phone in one instance. In the other case, the person had little valuation information to go on so I suggested references then described what I thought the value range was. Before the end of the conversation, he had offered the gun at a fair price for the condition.

A few years ago, I called and tried to get a figure from the seller and he wouldn't so I started with a low offer (around 70% of typical retail) as there is no way to know just what else the guy might have been trying to hide. The guy rudely scoffed at the price so I knew he had a price in mind, just wanted to see if he could get an offer more than that or some such weirdness. He may still have that gun, I don't know. I am not into playing games.

Unread 09-10-2001, 03:02 PM   #8
ViggoG
RIP

Default Re: Its Called "Milk The Market"

And !!!

Theres nothing wrong with that, except, "This Is Not The Time Or Place", The proper time and place is any time at any "Auction Site", This is a Forum for Intelligent Discussion of "Other Matters" of mutual interest to many.

And !!!

Not to be used primarily for material gain without the addition of something of "Intellectual Value".

My $0.02 worth.

ViggoG

Unread 09-10-2001, 03:39 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,427 Posts

Well, It is something I see ofter in the luger forum classifieds and I often look there and want to buy what's offered but I do not want to get into a discussion about the price. I would rather stick to condition and availability. I appreciate all you guys and your opinions about the subject. Thanks Jerry

Unread 09-10-2001, 04:12 PM   #10
Thor
User

Personally I like the state your price and if I think it is worth it and assuming I have the money, I will offer to buy it! If not, I will not waste your time or mine! I hate haggling myself, but I know others like it! I favor posting a price when the ad is listed! I think this is a more civil way to conduct business. In the Luger market, I hear all the time about poor shooters being offered at gun shows for many times whay they are worth. I dont know how many of these actually sell! Personally, I really favor going to a place and asking the dealer, "Please show me a 1936 S/42" and he places 6 or 7 minty examples in front of you to choose from. Then you pick out the one that "strikes your fancy" (assuming you like the price) That is my favorite way to buy a Luger, then go have a nice Cigar and a sniffer of Cognac to celebrate the purchase! Have done this several times and it is a great experience! ~Thor~

Unread 09-10-2001, 04:34 PM   #11
ViggoG
RIP

If anyone wishes to use that approach in the classifieds thats fine. Its called good old fashioned "Yankee Horse Trading" and thatâ??s quite proper if you choose to do business that way. I personally like the direct approach such as,

"I think $xxx.xx is a fair price, if you feel otherwise, convince me and counter the offering price".

To each his own. I have no argument with any honest approach; itâ??s the ones who would use the Message board as an auction site that I choose to differ with. When you list in the classifieds, thatâ??s your business as long as it has no adverse reflection the Forums Reputation for Fair and Honest opinions.

This was and is only one mans opinion and nothing personal was or is intended.

My sincere apology if it appeared that way.

Now up to $0.04.

ViggoG

Unread 09-10-2001, 04:38 PM   #12
Dok
RIP

Default Don't forget...

The Classifieds are the *ONLY* part of the Luger Forum that is *NOT* under our direct control, and that is by design. Anybody can post pretty much anything that want, and a number of posters aren't even regular visitors to the Luger Forum.

I think if there are game players out there, it's sage advice to give them a wide berth, they'll get tired in time because most of us won't play!

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 09-10-2001, 04:43 PM   #13
Leo

Default Re: Don't forget...

Well said Doc.....this is my sorce of information the classifides are a nice extra and I have used them, but we have to remember its about information,my three cents

Unread 09-10-2001, 06:22 PM   #14
BILL
User

Unfortunately, there are some folks who list their goods to see if they can find out how much they are really worth. In their minds they then have that amount in liquidatable assets. To just look in a bluebook of prices only tells what to ask for something..getting an offer tells you what someone will pay. I think the classifieds should say "NO P.O.R. OR O.B.O. LISTINGS"!!

Unread 09-10-2001, 09:51 PM   #15
Don
User

Default Re: 6-7 minty guns, cigars, etc.

Ted, Your description of picking among 6-7 minty 1936 s/42s and then celebrating with cigars & cognac! What a great fantasy! Who's the dealer? Ralph Shattuck?

Unread 09-10-2001, 10:04 PM   #16
Thor
User

Default Re: 6-7 minty guns, cigars, etc.

haahah, sworn to secrecy, I am greedy more for THOR

Unread 09-10-2001, 10:12 PM   #17
Matt
User

Default What kind of cigars do you celebrate with, Thor? (EOM)

Unread 09-11-2001, 09:37 AM   #18
Thor
User

Default Re: What kind of cigars do you celebrate with, Thor?

Padron is a nice brand