LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 08-16-2001, 10:17 AM   #1
Dieter

Default blueing

i did read the message of the byf 41 and its blueing. now i have some questions about my k-dated S/42-mauser from 1934:

the grip and the barrel are 100% in original-blueing with some places without any blueing, because it was weared in a holster. the inside of the grip is blued and i don't think that it was reworked. is this original? or must there be no blueing inside the grip? the firing-pin is completely blue! but not blued! in my luger-book i've read that the top of the 1934 firingpins were hardened till they were blue, but can it be, that the complete pin is blued by hardening? all numbers are sharp and not reworked. the blueing of the knee seems black, is that right?

Unread 08-16-2001, 10:22 AM   #2
Dieter

Default Re: blueing

i forgot to tell, that the mag-release is also blued and the safety-lever seems to be blue by hardening.

Unread 08-16-2001, 11:08 AM   #3
Johnny Peppers
User

The small parts that you mentioned should definitely be strawed, and the firing pin should be in the white as well as the coupling link.The inside of the magazine well should be in the white unless the blueing solution happened to run. Also the insides of the receiver should all be in the white. If any blueing solution ran into the receiver it was polished out before the pistol was completed. The face of the barrel where it shows through the receiver should also be in the white.

Unread 08-17-2001, 01:29 AM   #4
mlm

I would expect the firing pin, firing pin spring retainer and the hold-open latch would all be unblued/white steel. The spring that holds the hold open latch is sort of fire-blue heat treated. The ejector is strawed on the outer surface but don't think it shows on the inside surface due to lack of polishing on inside surface. The mag well inner surfaces (inside of the grip straps) are white/unblued. Most stuff inside the luger is white and the outside is blued and strawed.

Unread 08-17-2001, 02:06 PM   #5
Dieter

does anybody have some pics inside and outside of an original or restaured k-dated luger? please mail them to: dkastel@web.de because i am not here in my bureau at the weekend. is there a possibility to put off the blueing on some parts? is there a chemical possibility? many thanks. dieter fron germany