LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 02-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
HardBaller
User

Default True Restoration?

Gents,

PLEASE " Edjumacate" me if you will. What approximate decrease in value arises with a true restoration vs refinish? I am not referring to "Bubba Bluejob" but parts that are reset and refinished in the original manner and pattern as the factory.

I have seen a number of offerings in the last month, both on internet and here in Houston, that purport to be "restored". Most were Mr. Bluejob but a couple looked downright fantastic and tracked back completely as to finish and fit and markings as reference materials I have been reading. In those instances I was viewing the items with refence books in hand.

So let the opinions and comments fly (truly the more the merrier) as I tend to look a lot before opening a wallet (yeah, I miss a TON but when I get something, it is exactly what I want).

The basic question is, if a Luger is truly restored, does it hold close to approximate value as a similar conditioned original specimen? Or does it simply mean you have a really pretty shooter?

Thanks in advance to all responses. (and thanks to those of you who have kept us in your prayers during a rather difficult time).
Unread 02-22-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
Justa_TXguy
User

I am in no way an expert - thus why I keep posting in this forum.

In my opinion, a good restoration such as those I've seen done by Thor put the pistol at the top of the shooter grade value. It does not put it in the collectible grade value.

I'd pay more for a beat-up original than I would for a finely restored one.

So in your words, I say it means you have a really pretty shooter.

Good luck looking for Lugers in Houston. They have them at just about every gunshow and especially at the Houston Gun Collectors Ass'n gun show they have every year.
Justa_TXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
HardBaller
User

JustTX,

Yep, see them there at HGCA a lot and around town. Hard to not have a lot of everything in a city of 4 mil eh? I got "blown" over here from Katrina

My "thing" I guess is that I collect shooters. Just never had the bucks to go for true "collector grade" materials and if I did, then I would then shoot it. Have some really nice guns that are way up there in value but I still take em out and stretch their legs from time to time. Kind of the purpose you know.

Drop me a line off post at val.knox@sbcglobal.net, next time out maybe hook up for cup o joe and afternoon with Lugers.

See ya.

Tim

P.S. Since you are here before me, what is up with the pricing at Collectors? I truly understand the concept of buy low and sell high but man...
Unread 02-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
pipeman45
User

Ok, here goes. IMHO I'm of the mind that if the gun in question is in 60% or less condition you will increase it's value with a restoration. It will most likely cost more than it's now worth. But it's worth more than it was. It also will never be worth what an original 80% gun would be.
Unread 02-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
Chuckc
User

I have seen a lot of "refinished" lugers. Hot blue, nickel plated, cold blue touchups, etc. These I would consider shooters, if not cobbled up to the point where shooting would be dangerous.

"Restored" or original finish and straw gives me the opportunity to own some examples of lugers that I could never afford in the same original condition.

I would consider these in the middle ground of worth. Not as valuable as the original condition examples, but certainly worth more than the "refinished" ones.

I am not an expert, but I find I am more comfortable with restored lugers than I am with the so called originals. Seems to me there are a lot of originals out there that have been boosted or restored that some dealers are willing to sell as high dollar original finish pieces. I have a couple of these. Wanna see 'em.
Unread 02-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
zeke1312
User

I now own 4 Lugers acquired over the last 2 years. Three of them are in original condition and, based on information gleened from the forum over that time period, I'd say they are "collector" grade. I just bought a Thor restored American Eagle and I've got to say it's beautiful! I would not let it go for anything less than a low to medium appraised collector. You'll never know what a factory fresh Luger (is there such a thing?) looks like until you rest your eyes on a Thor masterpiece. I've seen some Lugers at gun shows that are really bad looking but are claimed to be restored and are priced at $1k or more.

Now let's say you purchased an "original" Luger that had been modified by the owner in 1922. That might make the gun even more valuable depending on what type of mod(?) If a gunsmith in Holland during WWII worked a few guns and added his mark, I'd also say they would be worth a penny or two.

Oh, I wonder how many Lugers Thor has restored in past years?
zeke1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
HardBaller
User

Chuck,

YOU BET with regards to do I want to see them. Can you post here? or you can send to email in profile (val.knox@sbcglobal.net).

It seems, regardless of forum type, that "we" (firearms lovers) fall into two seperate camps. The true collectors where condition is everything, and the "collector of shooters" where complete originality is secondary to fit and function. I don't think either is right or wrong, just what you prefer. For my part, I do like to have all matching parts but that too would depend on the condition of those parts.

Interested in what others think as well. Just seems like I am never going to be able to afford the true 100% original mint items of my dreams and if there is a reasonable restoration, not "bubba" then I would be interested in that as I much more love to shoot em than look at em.

So please post your pics. Just getting started and all in the input is appreciated.

Tim