LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 10-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
Tony Min
User

On my original mag it was actually the tired spring that caused the drag. When compressed it was a larger diameter and dragged on the body of the mag. The new spring fixed it.
I though it was the follower as well and it wasn't.
Tony Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #42
Sonofeugene
User

Well, I just got back from a visit to Mike at Krausewerks in San Mateo. Definately an old school shop. The vibe was good and the Mike was quite personable as well as knowledgeable. I told him my father paid 35 bucks for his Luger and he said he paid the same amount for his first Luger, back in the 60's when he was a kid and first started collecting. He's got quite a collection in his shop. Not only Lugers in various forms, but other old and collectable weapons. It's just fun to poke your nose around and check them out.

Anyway, it's been refinished as you all said. I was kinda hoping for it to be original, but what the heck. Mike also had a look at the original grips which I brought along and stated they were most likely original to the gun. And everyone there got a kick out of the grips my father made. None had ever seen anything like it.

I knew that the magazine was not matching to the gun (from a number standpoint), but did not know that it wasn't even correct for the period. Mike took one look at it and pronouced it a magazine from 1920 and for a Luger made in another country. Or something like that. It's an older sheet metal design and was a little banged up, resulting in the follower sticking in the last bit of travel. It has some value, even though it's a bit beat up, so he offered to exchange it for a period correct extruded magazine. He produced 6 for me to choose from and now I know have a magazine that fits the gun properly and will feed properly as well. He also said that the late model Lugers were fitted with a stronger main spring and shoot best with a hotter load, so I bought a box of Federal HST 147 grain hollow points (a law enforcement load). I'll try them in the Luger, but they're really for my Glock 34.

Mike pronouced it a fine shooter so now I feel OK to fire the thing. 'Should be interesting.

Thanks again, all!
Sonofeugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #43
Tony Min
User

I don't want to go against Krausewerk, especially since I recommended him, but hollow points are not a good choice. I would also try 115gr white box FMJ first before going to the heavier bullet.
While in the shop did you see the 45 caliber Luger they made?
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #44
Sonofeugene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Min View Post
I don't want to go against Krausewerk, especially since I recommended him, but hollow points are not a good choice. I would also try 115gr white box FMJ first before going to the heavier bullet.
While in the shop did you see the 45 caliber Luger they made?
The first rounds I'll put through the Luger will be ball ammo that I've got in the ballpark of 115 to 125 grains. I will try the hollow points, but I'm aware of possible jamming issues.

The hollow points are primarily for my Glock which should handle them without any problems.

Ya, know, I forgot to check for that gun. Now I have an excuse to go back.
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #45
Douglas Jr.
User

The piece that I most cheered in my collection is a refinished, mismatched DWM 1916 Luger. This was my father's first Luger and I have fond memories of him showing me the gun when I was 10. It is something that simply doesn't have a price!
Enjoy your father's bringback: it will be always a "one-of-a-kind" for you.

Douglas.
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #46
Tony Min
User

I thought more of the experts would chime in on whether it is a good or bad idea to shoot 147 gr through a Luger before he goes to the range and breaks it.
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #47
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I will have to "chime in"... the use of Law Enforcement loads in a P.08 is NOT recommended. It is not the bullet weight that is the problem, it is the propellant charge that is too high for the old girl...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #48
Sonofeugene
User

According to Mike Krause, the later Mausers had a stronger spring in them. Something to do with making it more compatible with some of the hotter ammo back then. And he said that sometimes, running 115 or even 125 will sometimes result in jamming and such. He said it'll be fine with a 147 load. And he seems to know his Lugers.

Now if it was an older Luger, I might not fire the 147 grain in it. And remember, these are not + loads. Just a 147 grain hollow point. Also, if you go to the Federal site, the Tactical HST rounds I bought actually have a slower muzzle velocity and lower energy level than their 115 grain JHP.

http://le.atk.com/ammunition/federal...ls.aspx?id=580

vs.

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...un.aspx?id=121
Unread 10-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #49
Sonofeugene
User

Mike Krause said these would be fine, though hollow points in general might result in some jamming. The Tactical HST's actually have a lower energy level at the muzzle and slower velocity as well compared to their more generic 115 grain JHP's.

http://le.atk.com/ammunition/federal...ls.aspx?id=580

vs.

http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...un.aspx?id=121

Even their full metal jacket 115 grain round has more energy and velocity than these HST's.
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #50
Sonofeugene
User

Well........It's a shooter! I went to the range today at lunch and after spending some time with my Glock 34, I pulled out the Luger and loaded it up with Blazer Brass (ball ammo) in a 115 grain. The gun performed perfectly. And after a little time with it (the sights suck compared to modern sights), I was able to get most of my rounds in a about a 4" circle at 10 yards. Not great, I'm sure, but then I haven't been shooting in probably 20 years.

And for the heck of it, I tried the Tactical HST rounds. I put the magazine in and pulled back and released and the first round jammed. After clearing it and reinserting the magazine, it loaded fine and fired fine until the very last round (or maybe next to last) when the shell got stuck vertically and jammed the gun again. So it would seem, like many have said, that Lugers don't like hollow points. But I had no problems with the ball ammo.

All in all I'm very pleased and I'm sure I'll have fun with the gun in the future. Thanks again to all!
Unread 12-29-2013, 01:44 AM   #51
Sonofeugene
User

'Finally took it up to the Los Altos Rod and Gun Club with one of my brothers and we ran it through it's paces at 25 yards. Here' s what the old gal did with this old guy at the trigger. (Target OD = 6".)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	39009  

Unread 12-29-2013, 01:47 AM   #52
Sonofeugene
User

And it sure got a bunch of funny looks as the various safety officers came along to check for open actions and empty chambers.