LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > General Discussions

Unread 03-28-2014, 04:37 AM   #21
hayhugh
User

HTML Code:
Check inside the frame for a date
- Only thing I could find - Z 3 Name on grip - U. Studer Serial # 30279

Last edited by hayhugh; 03-28-2014 at 04:39 AM. Reason: More info
hayhugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #22
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Congratulations beautiful Luger.

I agree with Sieger, in similar cases in the past I used WD40, an old tooth brush a lot of patience.
Unread 03-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #23
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

The inscription under the upper frame on the right of your Luger is the import marking. I think that this one is associated with a company that was called Ohio Ordinance Works: http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/ and they may be able to give you information about importing your pistol.

I personally never use WD-40 on a metal firearm. It is a water displacement chemical. While it's useful for dissolving the gummy adhesive used in permanent sticking labels, it's not good long term for a metal blued surface. If you do use it for some reason, be sure it's all removed when you're done.

I think it's safer to use mineral spirits as a solvent, followed by a good preserving gun oil.

An old toothbrush that's been washed and cleared of any abrasive material left by toothpaste is a good cleaning tool. Depending on what has to be removed, well oiled bronze and steel wool can also be useful.

Remember that hard things scratch and remove softer things. The grit in toothpaste is small, but it's derived from stone and stone like materials that are very hard. The black magnetite form of iron oxide is harder than in the white steel used in steel wool. It's also harder than bronze.

BTW, you paid about half the market value of that M1900/06 Swiss with correct magazine.

The serial number range would indicate that your Luger was one of the last of that model manufactured by Bern W+F (which ended at 33089).

http://www.swissrifles.com/pistols/
has the serial number range. As they switched over to the next model around 1924-1925, your pistol was probably made in 1924.

My M1900/06 W+F sn 218xx was made in 1923, so I'd put yours at the end of 1924 or 1925...

BTW, the magazine with the little silver disc was delivered with the DWM M1900 and M1900/06 manufactured Swiss Lugers, but not the ones made by W+F, which are wood bottomed without the disc.

Congratulations. These are really beautifully made, aren't they?

For future reference, there is a specific forum area for Swiss Lugers on this board at:

http://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129