LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 11-24-2004, 12:48 AM   #1
Baron
New User

Question Ammo for an old Warhorse

Hi "Guys"

First.... pleased to have found this website and joined. Looks like it is full of information.

Got my first luger. My father-in-law had it for many years. Wasn't working after a neighbor "fixed it."

Went to a gunsmith I know. After several months, a couple of parts and its ready to go. I had it reblued - yeah I know, not supposed to, but I wanted a nice looking shooter.

Its a 1918 DWM with matching numbers. The exterior was pretty rough but now it looks great. He did a nice job with nice "strawing" on the proper parts. Just needs some nicer grips.

All that aside, the smith said test fire was fine with some reloads and mechanically in good shape.

Now, finally, to the question. What are preferred loads for this gun? I was planning to use ball ammo, 115 grain, not plus P as I want to have it around as a nice shooter for many years.

Thanks to all who reply. I'm enjoying this website. Might have to get another luger (don't tell my wife!)
Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2004, 01:05 AM   #2
pipeman45
User

I've had good luck with Norinco and Winchester from Wally World. I trust we are talking about 9mm here.
Unread 11-24-2004, 01:12 AM   #3
DougT
User

I've had good luck with Federal "American Eagle" 115 gr. FMJ. This ammo has that longer "nose" that the Lugers seem to like.
DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2004, 01:54 AM   #4
Steve Richards
User

I use S&B 115gr.

Welcome to our little forum!

Steve
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2004, 09:36 AM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Welcome to the Lugerforum...As stated above, the 100 round bulk pack Winchester 115 gr. loads at Walmart (run about $11.00 a box) are good feeding for a Luger.

...and BTW, if some parts were replaced, it is no longer an all matching numbers gun... even if the replacement parts happened to have the same numbers as those replaced.

All matching numbers means that gun is assembled from the same parts that it left the factory with...

Enjoy your Luger... it is full of marvelous engineering, fun, excitement and best of all...history...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote