LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 07-27-2003, 07:33 PM   #21
LarryT
User

Hello again fellows,

I have been studying Herontin's animated firing sequence from his CD and it appears that the trigger spring may not be strong enough to return the top of the trigger lever to it's "outer most" position thereby not allowing the disconnector pin to move forward so that the next trigger pull will push the trigger lever against the disconnector pin, moving the sear bar in and releasing the firing pin mechanism.

On the other hand, as I **** it with the sideplate on, at times I can squeeze the trigger harder and it will fire, thus indicating that the top of the trigger lever may not be beefy enough to push the sear bar in far enough. Could be either problem, both of the problems, or neither of the examples.

But, as I watch the action in animation, I see that at some point in the loading of the next round the trigger lever must "back off" enough to allow the disconnector pin to come forward. And the disconnector pin moves smoothly and freely with a strong spring tension.

I sure appreciate the clues you guys have been giving me. Where would I get a set of springs?

Thanks, LarryT
LarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2003, 07:50 PM   #22
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
Larry, seems to me that you could narrow the problem down by firing a round and then pushing the trigger forward to see if that resets the disconnector pin. However, the extra pressure on the trigger that you say will fire it suggests that the lever isn't pushing the pin inward enough to release the firing pin.

Try wiping the lever surface off with denatured alcohol or some other solvent that will leave it grease-free. Then apply a couple of coats of fingernail polish to the contact surface to increase the thickness and see if that helps. The fingernail polish can easily be removed with acetone afterward. It's worth a try anyway.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2003, 11:15 PM   #23
LarryT
User

I'll give it a try. Thanks, Doubs.
Unread 07-28-2003, 05:23 PM   #24
PaulV
New User

I must not have provided enough information in my original post. The pistol in question is a .22 lr Stoeger Luger. I know their reputation is lousy. I'm trying to help my father-in-law trouble shoot a pistol he bought new in 1975 and hasn't tried to fire until now. Any help would be appreciated.
PaulV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2003, 06:38 PM   #25
unspellable
User

Try leaving the trigger and trigger spring out of the pistol. Then you should be able to hold the pistol left handed and use a right hand finger or some sort of probe to move the lower end of the trigger lever up or down. See if you get the proper action doing this.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2003, 12:39 AM   #26
LarryT
User

PaulV, I apologize. I didn't mean to monopolize the topic here.

I will bow out while these fine gents help you trouble shoot the .22.

P.S. the fingernail polish didn't work either, but thanks for the suggestion.
Unread 08-04-2003, 03:44 PM   #27
PaulV
New User

Smile

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by unspellable:
<strong>Try leaving the trigger and trigger spring out of the pistol. Then you should be able to hold the pistol left handed and use a right hand finger or some sort of probe to move the lower end of the trigger lever up or down. See if you get the proper action doing this.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">On disassembly, I discovered that the loop on the end of the sear bar was not over the pin on the trigger. Problem solved, thanks for the help.
PaulV is offline   Reply With Quote