LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 04-17-2016, 11:45 PM   #1
vietec
User

Default Will it hurt the value?

Hey guys, I'm not going to lie, I am completely new to Lugers. I just picked one up form a small town gun shop that was never fired, came from an old gentleman's collection (shop owner knew the widowed wife, and he was the original owner), and looks really new/unused.

Here are things I THINK I know about it:
-Obviously post war, thinking maybe 1970s by Mauser's stamp and the interarms stamp (believe it's called the American Eagle line, based on stamping)
-Missing the combination tool
-4" barrel model, in 9mm
-Looks like it's never even been loaded

Here is what I would like to know:
1) Will me firing it devalue it any, being that it's not a war gun?
2) What would you guys roughly appraise the value at?
3) Would you consider this a shooter, or a collector gun?
4) Should I run lighter (115gr winchester/federal/blazer) or heavier (thinking 124gr or 147gr stuff) rounds in it IF I shoot it?
5) Is there any special care that I sohuld be aware of for it besides the usual newer guns treatment? I imagine I should always take care to wipe off the firearm with some silicon lube or something to neutralize the acids from my hand.

Here's some pictures, because obviously it would help:

Thanks guys, I know that you probably get these kinds of questions everyday. I have been digging but can only seem to find info on war era guns.
vietec is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to vietec for your post:
Unread 04-18-2016, 12:47 AM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Welcome to the Luger Forum! I will let those who know these give you accurate answers but yes. Any wear from shooting or even handling starts whittling on the price/value. It's called damage and you want to minimize it. You have to figure though..if you bought it to shoot..there is value in doing that too. These are generally in the $1,000-1,200 range I think? Some people collect these..I don't know how well they shoot. Perhaps Gerben will chime in.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 04-18-2016, 02:45 AM   #3
foxdoublegunner
User

Vietec,
This looks like it would make a nice shooter. You should have a lot of fun with it. if I were to have some extra funds and found one of these at a reasonable price, I would certainly consider purchasing one.
I think that many of us on the forum appreciate the history behind the wartime Lugers but in my mind there is certainly nothing wrong with the post WW 2 commercial variants. I happen to be drawn to artifacts from the "Great War". I only have one Luger and it is a Pre WW1 model that is unit marked and all matching with the exception of the magazine. I have only had the courage to fire one magazine's worth of ammo through it as I do not want to risk damaging a part and destroying a bit of history. You won't have to worry about that since parts for your Luger are more readily available and metallurgy has improved considerably since the Great War.
Welcome to "Luger" madness.

Foxdoublegunner
foxdoublegunner is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to foxdoublegunner for your post:
Unread 04-18-2016, 03:24 AM   #4
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Brennan

Nice gun, many people collect these newish Lugers, and apparently they are pretty accurate at the range.
I've got only few pieces, but personally I tend to prefer guns that, to me, have some "history" with them.
Unread 04-18-2016, 07:25 AM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi Brennan and welcome to the forum.

I like these Interarms / Mauser Lugers and have two of them.

Here is what I would like to know:
1) Will me firing it devalue it any, being that it's not a war gun?

Yes - there are only a limited number of these that have not been fired since testing at the factory. If your's is in that category it will have more value than one that has been fired. Firing these will lead to subtle marks that will be noticed by a collector that is interested in them.

2) What would you guys roughly appraise the value at?

These routinely sell for $1000 - $1200 in high fired condition with box and all papers. An unfired one would be worth a little more. Are the papers and all accessories with it? I don't see the loading tool in the box. The box damage would reduce value a little bit.

3) Would you consider this a shooter, or a collector gun?

Every high condition gun is somewhat collectible. People interested in wartime Lugers won't be interested in this one. There are people that collect these, and a full book was recently written about "The Parabellum Is Back" discussing Mauser's efforts in the 1970's through 1990's.

4) Should I run lighter (115gr winchester/federal/blazer) or heavier (thinking 124gr or 147gr stuff) rounds in it IF I shoot it?

If you shoot it use standard velocity ammo. 115gn should work well. Don't use surplus ammo or anything +P

5) Is there any special care that I should be aware of for it besides the usual newer guns treatment? I imagine I should always take care to wipe off the firearm with some silicon lube or something to neutralize the acids from my hand.

Silicon can adhere to blued steel and leave an odd cloudy sheen. I don't use it on guns. Standard preserving gun oil is fine. I lightly use spray oils like those from Hoppes, Remmington and others. I oil and wipe it down after handling. Don't store it in a holster and (to avoid further damage) don't store it in the box.

These are very well made modern versions of the Luger. They were only made for a few years and (as they are used) like new ones are growing more rare. They were so expensive to manufacture that Mauser eventually had to give up the project.

Marc
The following 4 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 04-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Nice gun.
Going for $1,000 when I have seen them in pawn shops.

If it has never been fired, then keep it that way!
The box is in pretty good shape and important to keep.

Put the gun in a sock or a nice gun rug.

Thanks for sharing it with us!
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Hi,

Sound advice given already. When shooting, get a Mec-Gar and try not to use the original Mauser magazines. Bottoms are fragile and will fail.

Price range is indeed in the 1000 - 1200 range.

Nice gun!
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 04-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

One point to consider that has not been mentioned is that not all parts on this 1970's Mauser Luger are interchangeable with P08 Lugers. Mauser simplified some parts (like the grips) or used different more modern manufacturing methods to make them. So if something breaks, you had better hope that Tom Heller still has that part in stock.

...0352...let's see, 0300 is basic Infantryman...Infantry TOW Gunner??? I know MOS's keep changing...Mine, 3516, disappeared entirely...I guess 5-ton trucks are like dinosaurs now...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 04-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
Sergio Natali
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Cat View Post
Nice gun.
Going for $1,000 when I have seen them in pawn shops.

If it has never been fired, then keep it that way!
The box is in pretty good shape and important to keep.

Put the gun in a sock or a nice gun rug.

Thanks for sharing it with us!
No disrespect, but guns are made to be shot, otherwise are just expensive paperweights.
It's a different thing if we're talking about old and scarce collectibles which in my opinion shouldn't be fired.
Unread 04-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #10
vietec
User

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Looks like the general consensus is that it would hurt the value of the gun to shoot it, but the value would be anywhere from 1000-1200 range.

That being said, I think I might sell this one off and buy something that maybe has been fired for a little less so I can use that as a shooter. I do like collecting, but generally I refuse to have a gun in my collection go unfired, so I'll likely let this one go.

Next question: Where would be my best bet for a cheaper shooter? From the looks of it 1000-1200 is on the cheaper side of Lugers in any shape and form. Would I be better off just turning this one into a shooter rather than buying another luger at potentially the same cost?

EDIT: Not discounting your post luger.parabellum, would just like to get a few answers before making a decision.
Unread 04-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #11
Sergio Natali
User

If I were in your place I would look for a mismatched 1942 P08, even a Russian capture would do. Avoid very old Lugers, more recent ones probably had better steels, and stay away from heavy loads.

Shoot safe and good luck.
Unread 04-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #12
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Shoot or no shoot. Everybody has their own opinion. Personally, I shoot almost everything, at least once, unless there is a reason not to. eg, I have a Navy that has a barrel I wouldn't trust to pass the bullet.

Your's looks to be the Swiss version. Different grip shape.

I have one of these Interarms, the German Navy version (6 inch barrel) that is my regular range gun. A fine shooter.

Do be careful about dry firing, They have a slightly different firing pin. And the grips a slightly different. As in you can't replace them.

At risk of causing heart attacks among the members: I have even run a mag through
a 1937 Krieghoff. Very accurate! LOL

FN
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to FNorm for your post:
Unread 04-18-2016, 09:36 AM   #13
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

V, Judging from the wear marking on the rear of the frame, your Swiss model 06/71 Mauser Parabellum has been already used some what, so a bit more careful use should not affect it's value. I do have most original NOS parts in stock, including Mauser banner marked mag loading tool, brass cleaning rods and magazines. TH
Unread 04-18-2016, 09:47 AM   #14
vietec
User

Thanks for the heads up on a model to look for luger.parabellum, do you know roughly what I'd look at paying for one of those in the states? I can't seem to find any sub $1,000. Looks like the votes are kind of leaning towards not hurting values by firing.

May be a bit unrelated, but I'm going to Prague soon. I recall seeing a lot of old WWII shops, and in fact I think I recall seeing a lot of Luger parts/accessories in a few of the shops. Is there anything that I should buy while there? Maybe a part that is not so common here that commonly fails or something that would help keep some Lugers up and running stateside?

Tom-Do you have a website, or is everything kind of PM based?
Unread 04-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #15
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

What I love most about this gun is the American Eagle crest and the old fashioned grip safety!
But, after than, it quickly loses interest, unless you can uncover some history behind the purchase.

I remember Interarm's magazine ads for post-war Lugers made by Mauser.
Clearly, they are shooters (IMHO), but since they are out of production, I'd keep it in new, in box condition!

There are lot so of other shooters you can acquire.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #16
Eugen
User

Vietec, nice acquisition and welcome to the forum.

I think those newer Luger's are really nice and am thinking about buying one as a shooter. My preference would be a Navy six inch barrel, just so it would be different than my 1939 4 inch barrel version. Yep, I am a new Luger owner and am getting the itch for another one that I feel more comfortable about shooting.

Be careful about catching Luger fever.
Eugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2016, 01:09 PM   #17
Sergio Natali
User

Default Shooting a collectible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNorm View Post
Shoot or no shoot. Everybody has their own opinion. Personally, I shoot almost everything, at least once, unless there is a reason not to. eg, I have a Navy that has a barrel I wouldn't trust to pass the bullet.

Your's looks to be the Swiss version. Different grip shape.

I have one of these Interarms, the German Navy version (6 inch barrel) that is my regular range gun. A fine shooter.

Do be careful about dry firing, They have a slightly different firing pin. And the grips a slightly different. As in you can't replace them.

At risk of causing heart attacks among the members: I have even run a mag through
a 1937 Krieghoff. Very accurate! LOL

FN
Unfortunately it takes only one round and the monetary and historical value of a KRIEGHOFF may drop like a rock.
LUGERS were not considered fragile guns... 70 years ago, and tiny fractures may occur on slides and frames, and there are a variety of things that might happen when an old pistol is fired, on a shooter might not be a problem (apart from safety of the person) but on a collectible surely is.
My two bob.

Cheers.
Unread 04-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #18
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Vietec,

You need to decide exactly why you purchased the Mauser Parabellum....to collect, to turn for a profit, to shoot, or just because you had to have it!! You have the Swiss model with a different grip frame than the German model. Some like it, and others not so much. Strictly a personal decision. The mechanics are the same in both Lugers.

I have owned mine for a number of years. It is the German model with a 6in bbl. .......my favorite model!! I purchased mine new/unfired. I am a shooter, not a collector, so mine has been to the range many times, and each time it puts a smile on my face. I use my Mauser, but do not abuse it. Mine is still a 96%+ Luger.

Your gun....your decision.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 04-18-2016, 08:34 PM   #19
vietec
User

Thanks all, I've decided to just sell it and hopefully not lose money on it. I'll post it to gunbroker, and probably post a WTB here for a gun that is a little on the cheaper side.
Unread 04-18-2016, 09:50 PM   #20
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luger.parabellum View Post
Unfortunately it takes only one round and the monetary and historical value of a KRIEGHOFF may drop like a rock.
LUGERS were not considered fragile guns... 70 years ago, and tiny fractures may occur on slides and frames, and there are a variety of things that might happen when an old pistol is fired, on a shooter might not be a problem (apart from safety of the person) but on a collectible surely is.
My two bob.

Cheers.
I think you've given about 6 cents
We get your opinion.....
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote