LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 03-27-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
shadow
User

Default AIMCO still in production

I spoke with Mr. Romo today. Aimco is still producing a limited quantity of lugers and they cost $695 brand new in the box. They also do repairs.

He is still making these guns and very few people know it
I almost want to take up a collection to run ads for him in a couple of shooting mags.

The 45 project is still far off because he ran out of money for development

His address and phone number is still the same.

AIMCO INC.
915 Boundary St.
Houston TX 77009

Phone# (713) 305-8540

I Got him on the first try.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
Ponyman
User

The early "Mitchell" series was quite close to being a dimensionally correct remake of the P08. Later models showed some divergence, with the Stoeger variation not able to exchange magazines with vintage Lugers. Is there any indication of what is beng built now? Has Mr. Romo located a new distributor? He could probably move a significant number of units himself by listing them at GunsAmerica.
Ponyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
shadow
User

Mr. Romo indicated that he is currently in production of his third generation of lugers and that some of the third generation parts will fit my Mitchell, but have to be hand fitted. I assume that the Mitchell lugers were the first generation, Stoger was the second generation, and post Stoger is the third generation, but this is only an assumption on my part.

Ponyman,

I see you live in Atlantic county. I live in Cape May county. Do you ever shoot at the Cumerland Rifleman?
Unread 03-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Shadow, your assumption is correct... you have correctly defined the generations... the first guns of the third generation were marketed by AIMCO, and the last word that we had was that AIMCO had changed it's name ot ORIMAR, and that is the way they are listed in the LInks & Resources section... Thanks for the update that Mr. Romo is still in business... Perhaps it is time we negotiated a Lugerforum.com commemorative Luger from him eh?

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 11:34 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

My brother in law lives in Houston, I should make a trip over and see what the 'factory" looks like. I am guessing a small affair?

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #6
shadow
User

He told me to mail my gun to AIMCO if I needed service. I don't know if he changed back from ORIMAR or if the old name is only being used as a mailing address.

He seemed like a first rate guy.
Unread 03-28-2006, 02:00 AM   #7
Steve Richards
User

That is great news as far as I am concerned! Now if he would only spend a little money on marketing. Maybe a website that could be easily found with a search of "stainless Luger"?

It took me about 2 months of searching before I found a clue about where he was and then a letter to confirm. No matter how good a product is, it needs to be marketed.

I have not met him personally but have exchanged letters, emails and talked on the phone. I agree with your assessment that he seems like a very nice person. A rare trait in today's business world. Maybe it has to do with Lugers?

Steve Richards
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Douglas711
User

I just got off the phone with him. He won't ship to CA. I should say he hasn't gone through the process of getting on the CA approved handgun list.

CA does a drop test and all new production guns must be dropped tested to make sure they won't fire if dropped while loaded.

Doug
Douglas711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Doug,

I understand the CA-DOJ drop test is done in a certified lab for around $ 10K per model...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
Navy
RIP

I had the pleasure of meeting and later doing business with Mr. Romo. I met him in Kansas City at the KC 2000 NAPCA show and mentioned that one of his pistols I had bought as a gift to my (now late) father-in-law was having problems with the axel toggle drifting when the gun was fired.

No problem sez he.

I sent it to the company, to his attention and the piece was returned within a week, problem corrected.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 02:43 PM   #11
thegundude
User

Are these guns "American Eagle" type guns (grip safety, Eagle stamp) or are they more the Stainless "Mitchell" type guns?

I'd really like to get something with a grip safety, but I ain't shellin' out no $1,500 + for one. At least not in my current financial situation (home remodeling seems to be this years code word around my house)...

~Steve
thegundude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2006, 11:05 PM   #12
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

I have never seen the stainless with a grip safety. Changes were made to the stainless when Stoeger took over marketing. Maybe Stoeger wanted theirs to be different from Mitchell's version. One standout difference being the magazine...
Unread 03-31-2006, 12:35 AM   #13
shadow
User

Here is a photo of a stainless luger with a grip safety from page 13 of the member gallery.

Unread 03-31-2006, 01:44 PM   #14
thegundude
User

Shadow, do you know if that's the type that AIMCO is selling, by any chance?

~Steve
Unread 03-31-2006, 06:31 PM   #15
Ponyman
User

I have a stainless Luger with Grip Safety, purchased from another Forum member (thru the WTS service) about a year ago.

It's a 100th Year Commemorative Issue produced in Y2K. Black-finish overall but with gold-toned stainless small parts: trigger, takedown, thumb safety lever, mag release, ejector and (faithful to the straw on the 1900) the extractor. Homage was paid to the 1900's dished toggle knobs by grinding down the standard knobs - a rather minimal effort. Somewhere along the line, the original extractor and breechblock with crossarm (present on my 1993 "Mitchell") were reworked to resemble the original with no crossarm (not exclusively for the commemorative, as the straight-sided extractor is also present on my year-less black-finished Stoeger AE with LUGER scrolled on the left side of the slide) with very appropriate results for the commemorative. The strangest feature is that the Grip Safety Lever appears to have been purchased from Mauser: it is identical to the Swiss-style lever on my 29-70 Parabellum, with the wrap-around backside which requires inletting of the right grip panel. The top tip of the safety lever (black finished on the 29-70) is bright stainless (silver-tone), as they probably could not apply the gold-tone process without damaging the black finish on the lower portion. The vestigial stock lug (necessary grooves in the sides are missing), characteristic of all other stainless Lugers, was completely removed for this issue. The chamber marking is the American Eagle with "1900" above the bird and "2000" below. The top of the barrel is marked "NATIONAL AUTOMATIC PISTOL COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION". No attempt was made to reproduce the right-side toggle-lock of the 1900.

It's a .30 cal with 120 mm barrel - looks really nice displayed with my 1900 of same measurements.

The "white space" in this pic was necessary because the pattern of the carpet I shot against did not allow much compression in the .jpg format. Areas of solid color allow max compression, and shrunk the file below the 200 kByte limit.

I cropped the top and bottom of this one, and removed a horizontal strip from the middle. In case you're wondering, the props are plate holders.
Unread 03-31-2006, 07:43 PM   #16
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Dave,

A very nice comparison study, thanks very much--don't get to see pictures of these stainless guns very often. I think I rather prefer the dark finish.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2006, 10:38 PM   #17
Johnny C. Kitchens
User

There is actually a site for the stainless with the grip safety.

http://www.billpalmer.com/Amereagle.htm

This guy must be making them from AIMCO/ORIMAR guns. Notice he is limiting them to just 350 units. Makes for a nice custum gun. That site has been there a long time...

Why would Post-WWII Lugers not be the place to discuss AIMCO Lugers???
Unread 03-31-2006, 11:49 PM   #18
Ponyman
User

Looks like Bill Palmer bought or consigned the unsold Aimco stock. The info on that site is an EXACT description of my gun - mine is AE 014 of 350.
Unread 04-01-2006, 01:18 AM   #19
shadow
User

Quote:
Originally posted by thegundude
Shadow, do you know if that's the type that AIMCO is selling, by any chance?
I don't know, but from the posts that followed yours it does not appear that AIMCO made them.
Unread 04-01-2006, 10:15 PM   #20
thegundude
User

Quote:
Originally posted by shadow
I don't know, but from the posts that followed yours it does not appear that AIMCO made them.
LOL!!

Yeah, I caught that too...

~Steve