LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 01-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #21
slundin
User

Thanks Vlim - I was wondering how long it woulf take you to get around to weighing in on this thread@! Funny thing - I was at a Cabela's yesterday looking at some of their DWM's - and the guy in charge of the gun library told me that hadn't sold a luger there in two years - and no longer take them in (at that particular store - there are clearly lugers in the system). I think the market may be down to a few hard core collector's - just like M1's - and old 1911's. The few and the proud need to stick together!
slundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 07:50 PM   #22
HisSoldier
User

I have two 70's Mausers, a 6" barreled .30 that is a safe queen, and a more common 4" barreled 9MM. Both have the P-08 swell at the bottom of the grip. The 9MM I'm shooting regularly, though the grip safety is a terrible imposition that I'm going to try to engineer out. Better no safety at all than that hand pinching nightmare! The way they did it it will not be easy to eliminate it and still have a safety. The LH grip on my 9MM was weird and I had my 'smith redo it (see my earlier posts about that)
Other than that it functions nicely and is very accurate. Reloading for the .30 is the answer, pretty cheap. Starline makes the brass. I use Hornady XTP hollow points at .308 but someone told me that's not correct, that the original bullet at .312 sealed better, so now I'm wondering if I'm 'gas jetting' past the base of the XTP. I shoot those in a Benelli pistol, not the Mauser P-08.
Unread 01-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #23
HisSoldier
User

I have two, a 6" barreled .30 that is a safe queen, and a more common 4" barreled 9MM. Both have the P-08 swell at the bottom of the grip. The 9MM I'm shooting regularly, though the grip safety is a terrible imposition that I'm going to try to engineer out. Better no safety at all than that hand pinching nightmare! The way they did it it will not be easy to eliminate it and still have a safety. The LH grip on my 9MM was weird and I had my 'smith redo it (see my earlier posts about that)
Other than that it functions nicely and is very accurate. Reloading for the .30 is the answer, pretty cheap. Starline makes the brass. I use Hornady XTP hollow points at .308 but someone told me that's not correct, that the original bullet at .312 sealed better, so now I'm wondering if I'm 'gas jetting' past the base of the XTP. I shoot those in a Benelli pistol, not the Mauser P-08.
Unread 01-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #24
slundin
User

So grip safety no good for shootin? Maybe I should be thinking along the lines of a commercial DWM - they seem to be plentiful - available in 9mm and not too expensive.
Unread 01-17-2009, 04:43 AM   #25
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

I must say it doesn't bother me. I've shot the 1972 Mauser with grip safety and also the Dutch 1906 KNIL model with grip safety. I guess it's a personal opinion.

Modifying a Mauser Parabellum from grip safety to non-grip safety is actually pretty straightforward. Even the non-grip safety Mauser Parabellums actually have a camoflaged (hidden) grip safety that has been shortened so there is nothing sticking outside the grip. A modified safety catch operates it.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 12:13 AM   #26
lfid
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Vlim,

have any pictures of a non-grip safety MP luger with left grip removed ?

do you know if that same method was used on the target model MP guns ?

have you noticed any binding type wear on the underside of the center link to rear toggle link on your shooter MP ? this is area where center link rubs on the inner round area of toggle

mine seems to show about 3/8 inch bright metal wear there somehow - Ive never seen that on another luger
toggle axle to link fit seems ok

also one toggle know contacts the rear frame ramp about .020 inch sooner than the other side on my shooter example - which seems like a lot of variance - it that normal ?

thanks
Bill
lfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #27
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

The binding is relatively normal with this type of blueing and Mauser's approach to not pre-assemble their guns before blueing. The only parts that were matched were the rear toggle and the frame. This was done to prevent the exact situation you describe. It doesn't harm the gun but it will pull the gun slightly to one side causing some inacurracy. Since this was a 'running change' chances are your gun predates that change. My 06/72-something shows slight wear between the front and mid-toggle links, and of course on the receiver/frame rail contact area.

This is a modified grip safety on a bare frame, without the safety catch, but you get the idea. The little pin is the running change that was introduced to hold the new, more ergonomically shaped, grips securely in place. The frame shown is the old style Interarms version without the pin hole for the new grips.
Attached Images

The following member says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 01-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #28
lfid
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Talking

Vlim,

thanks !!! for the excellent pictures and info

so it looks like all that is needed is just to cut off the palm safety and stub to it from the internal bar part - almost too easy

should be a lot easier than adapting the frame slot to a dwm P08 sear bar block

and I suppose one could cut the palm part off and polish the metal + blue to fill / match up with the grip slot when in safe position

mine has the grip pins and is P08 type frame - so far about 200 rounds with a few eject problems

now if I can resolve the rear target sight and bull barrel problem , could finally have a simulated target MP

rear target sight and barrel ( long barrel extension type ) seem to be elusive problems to resolve here in usa

have you seen any of the Rettinger in Germany made target lugers ?

thanks again for the info

Bill
Unread 01-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #29
alvin
User

Did the Postwar Mausers sold in Europe have AE crest?
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #30
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Alvin, no they didn't (at least not normally). Some AE marked guns made it to the European market, being bought by Mauser staff, etc..., but they weren't commercially available to the general public. Euro AE's should have Ulm proofs instead of the FBM proof.

Bill, I'm not familiar with the Rettinger target pistols, but I have studied several Mauser Parabellum target versions in 9mm and .30 luger.
Unread 01-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #31
HisSoldier
User

Vlim, with the shown modification does the thumb safety still work? I noticed on both of mine that all the safety does is block the grip safety from pulling the sear block out of the way. My 9MM does indeed have the grip pin you show. I just checked, the .30 does too!

So, the thing to do, it seems to me is to redesign the long block so it has vertical movement by slotting the pin hole at the bottom, and attaching it to the safety extension with a pin so that when the safety is put in the up (The current "safe" position) it pushes the bar down and the block tab out of sight as per the original. I want to do this, but of course then the marking would be backwards, "Safe" would actually be unsafe. But then it's in German so I guess it wouldn't matter here in America.
Unread 01-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #32
slundin
User

Vlim - where do you shop for your Lugers?
Unread 01-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #33
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

I don't, they usually find me instead

But the frame and parts shown are still with our Mauser-friends in Oberndorf am Neckar. The little cross pin is a simple, elegant solution to an annoying problem. It is effectively one of the little improvements on the original design.

All that Mauser did was redesign the thumb safety catch so that it would push the entire safety bar downwards or upwards, the rest remained unchanged. You are correct when you say that it will effectively alter the 'safe' state from up to down. This can also be observed on the 1904 Navy lugers that had their grip safety altered. The old 'Gesichert' was milled out and a new 'Gesichert' was placed in the upward position.
Unread 01-21-2009, 12:50 AM   #34
lfid
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Vlim , have you had an opportunity to shoot or test the trigger pull, parts fitment , and details of the MP target lugers ?

did they seem to have detailed work , or were they primarily a standard MP with heavy barrel and the extended sights

anything unusual in the trigger mechanism ?

thanks
Bill
Unread 01-21-2009, 06:23 AM   #35
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Bill,

Mauser did experiment with a number of target versions, including at least one 'everything is adjustable' prototype with added barrel weight. There are versions with an adjustable trigger pull around. The commercial target guns are basically normal Parabellums with target barrels (bull barrel) and target rear sight fitted. They are pretty well made, as were all later generation Mauser Parabellums. Most problems are found in the early 1971-1972 series as it took them a while to get themselves acquainted with MP production again.
The following member says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 01-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #36
HisSoldier
User

Wishing to redesign my safety so it works without the grip safety, I'm hesitant to "destroy" the original safety block by cutting the grip part off. (I plan on filling the slots in the grips with walnut glued in and checkered)

Are there any available grip safety parts I could buy? That way, if I do it right, the Interarms Luger could be "put back" to it's original configuration some day if someone wanted to. The safety lever itself would simply have a small hole in it for a pin to transfer up/down movement to the bar, unless someone has a safety lever to sell me too. The bar will have a slot at the bottom where the pivot pin is now to allow movement up and down. The frame will have a removable filler at the forward end of the slot so the bar cannot move forward. The safety marking would be backwards but, as I said, no one here can read German anyway.
Unread 02-04-2009, 09:31 PM   #37
alvin
User

How about wrapping a wide rubber band on the grip.... that would effectively disable the grip safety, without any permanent change.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #38
383 magnum
User

"The front sight is calibrated to shoot two to three inches below where it is held on your target."

That has been my experience with my new 6-inch barrelled Mauser Para. It shoots great but hits two to three inches low. My mismatched P.08 shoots a little high.
I do like the trigger pull on the Mauser Parabellum. It's crisp and doesn't have the "creep" that so many Lugers have.
Overall, its a great Luger and I wish they would start making them again.
383 magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #39
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

HS et al, I have several new original Parabellum grip safeties available @$60 each + S&H. TH at hellerarms@webtv.net