LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 08-27-2002, 06:00 PM   #1
markm3
User

Post New Acquisition

Another one with the bug here, and bad. I didn't give a rat's parabellum about Lugers a few months ago. I now own three, and have just purchased my first Artillery. No one told me how addictive this would be. Anyway, I am enjoying the forum tremendously, and wanted to thank those who have been so generous with their advice.
Unread 08-28-2002, 02:49 AM   #2
Big Norm
RIP

Talking

Congrats on your artillery! But be careful on rushing too fast. There are a lot of fakes out there and you spent a lot of time earning your money. It is not an embarassment to ask for help but it really feels bad to pay too much for a bum gun. What kind of artillery did you get? (chamber date, DWM, Erfurt, etc) A picture would be nice.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2002, 02:26 PM   #3
markm3
User

Thanks Norm. You are absolutely right, and I spent some time asking questions and checking it out as best I could. It is a 1915 DWM, with (apparently) matching serial numbers, except for the magazine. I'll try and upload a photo as soon as I can. I paid $1,195, after negotiating with him a bit.
Unread 08-28-2002, 05:41 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts
Talking

Sounds great, I am guessing you know which parts should have numbers and which wouldn't. (I ask, because I'm burnt today and hope you already know, [img]biggrin.gif[/img] )

Pictures would be great, always nice to have a Arty in the house huh? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2002, 10:47 PM   #5
Big Norm
RIP

Mark,
you did excellent, almost too good. Ed's comment will show you that even good Lugerheads get burnt. I have a big drawer full of my "mistakes". A 1915 chamber date is a tough year to get. Check out a little calculation that I am adding.

1914-1918 DATED ARTILLERY CALCULATIONS
(1) Add $350 for matching stock
(2) Add $200 for proper non-matching stock
(3) Add $200 for original leather holster with shoulder strap
(4) Add $200 for rare 1914 chamber date (I add, much more for a DWM 1914 chamber date)
(5) Add 20% for 1915 chamber date
(6) Add 20% for Imperial Unit Markings (depends on history of the unit)
Reference: 2000 Gun Value Book

I am almost afraid to see a picture of your 1915 Artillery. Check out the serial numbers to make sure they match. But don't feel bad if you find something wrong. You should have seen the first one that I bought. It was a six pack of beer ugly. Then you should have seen the first one that I bought when I went out without an advisor tagging along. Another six pack! I've finally got it down good enough where my "mistakes" are only three cans.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2002, 04:27 PM   #6
markm3
User

And you know, I'm fully prepared to be disappointed. This is incredibly difficult, and I am reconciled to the fact that you learn from these mistakes. As soon as I can, I'll post some photos, and wait with bated breath for the news.

Still, she is a pretty piece, and as Ed said, it sure is nice to have an arty around the house. It is an elegant in almost any condition.