LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 04-16-2022, 05:05 PM   #81
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
Just browsing for 1900AE's and finally noticed Dave's comment. Wow! I haven't thought about Freddy The Pig in over 60 years! Or The Thinking Machine, or Bookmobiles, or kids book services back in the '50's.
Lol When I was 4, I had the German measles. I was removed from preschool and my grandmother kept me until the end of that school year. This helped my mom, who was a Dental Hygiene Teacher in the Watertown city school system.

Part of recovery included having most of the Freddy the Pig read to me by Nana. The books were originally purchased for my brother Bill, who is 9 years older. He snagged the collection from her estate when the time came and worked at acquiring the titles not included in the collection. "Freddy and Simon the Dictator" is the one I think he couldn't find because it's the rarest, a satirical piece about Hitler--probably similar in tone to Chaplin's "The Great Dictator." Bill went so far as to establish contact with Walter Brooks' widow back in the 90s, and had a nice visit with her.

As an aside, and another example of bygone things that made life better back then, every kid in every NYS school received an annual cleaning and exam, along with fluoride treatments. All schools had a dental chair in the nurse's office. (I remember having a solution swabbed onto my teeth. It came from a bottle with the skull and crossbones on its label.) Mother said that this program accounted for the only professional dental care some kids ever got. She was initially part of a cadre of at least 4 other such "teachers," but all were phased out in the 70s, my mom being the last in Watertown to go when she retired.

Right after Gary Brown became our paper boy, he asked Mother if she remembered him his first collection day. He'd moved to our village from Watertown, so had been under her care for a while. It cracked her up when he drew back his lips to flash his teeth at her, "How about now?"
Unread 04-16-2022, 05:44 PM   #82
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
As an aside, and another example of bygone things that made life better back then, every kid in every NYS school received an annual cleaning and exam, along with fluoride treatments. All schools had a dental chair in the nurse's office. (I remember having a solution swabbed onto my teeth. It came from a bottle with the skull and crossbones on its label.)
I don't recall that in school, but I got it in Staging Battalion before shipping out to WesPac Ground Forces. "Rinse for a minute then spit out. Don't swallow - It's poison!". We were told that dental care was non-existent where we were going...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 04-16-2022, 07:04 PM   #83
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,423 Posts

I kept a plastic spoon and a toothbrush in my fatigue shirt pocket at all times. I found you could brush your teeth anywhere any time. Toothpaste is a luxury you don't really need every time if you brush often enough. I still do it. I have toothbrushes in my car, at my computer..

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post:
Unread 04-19-2022, 03:40 AM   #84
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,461 Times in 1,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair View Post
I kept a plastic spoon and a toothbrush in my fatigue shirt pocket at all times. I found you could brush your teeth anywhere any time. Toothpaste is a luxury you don't really need every time if you brush often enough. I still do it. I have toothbrushes in my car, at my computer..
You're a man after my mom's heart, Jerry! She advocated using your finger if you had absolutely nothing else. Remember, the apple is called "Nature's toothbrush." And even city folks can probably find a twig and bash its end so it splays out into a brush.
Unread 04-19-2022, 08:24 PM   #85
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
You're a man after my mom's heart, Jerry! She advocated using your finger if you had absolutely nothing else.
To brush your teeth, right??? What did she recommend as a substitute for, um, bath tissue???

I honestly can't recall what we substituted...

But I'm pretty sure it wasn't a handful of gravel.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2022, 08:38 PM   #86
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

I don't own a tooth brush! I have had dentures since I was forty~a pain every day! Polygrip, What a racket!! They seem to fall out in the worst time!! Like dining out!
Debby keep a spare in her handbag!!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote