LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Krieghoff Lugers

Unread 12-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #21
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Bob,

Let me get you to the next step - regarding HKs. Based on the empirical evidence of verified HKs I've inspected, I believe that HK, as one of the final stages would measure and ensure the crown after bluing to assure accuracy.

In some cases - the crown itself would be dulled, in some cases polished bright, and in many cases - at the muzzle end, re-polished after the crown was reset during this final production stage.

More confusing as well, many holster carried HKs would exhibit "wear" at the muzzle end, but this can't be included in the factory post-blue crown stage process - and often times in this case - the "blue" within the crown will be stronger then the muzzle end itself, which is misleading and confusing.

Anyway - I kept referring to this aspect as "giving hints" as to how HK manufactured Lugers to both military and commercial use - and I guess I should define that for the rest of the folks - and fess up on what the evidence I've seen shows to date for other collectors.

Finally - Mr. Gibson in his excellent work, doesn't touch on this subject, but I believe that's due to the number of examples he had at his disposal to make a definitive assertion, rather then missing this facet altogether.

Best to you,

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2004, 01:35 AM   #22
Tony S.
User

Bob,
I compared my 1937 Krieghoff with your pictures. The tool marks that are visible in your pics are similar to those found on mine. The only things that I found slightly different were the last "F" on Krieghoff (mine is completely visible, but it is my understanding that not all of them were completely visible, thus okay), the "Ejector", mine was strawed, the "Locking Bolt Spring" is fired blue (dark) and the "Keeper Pin, locking the Toggle pin" is fired blue (dark) as well. Are there circled tool marks on both sides of the "Frame" (area where the "Thumb Safety" is located, on both sides)?
I hope that your Krieghoff is 100% correct, but if not, I still think that it is a good looking piece.
Tony S.
Tony S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2004, 01:54 AM   #23
maddog350gt
User

Tony S.

Thanks for the info. On 8523 it looks like the takedown lever spring is straw, but I did take it out to look at it, I only removed the takedown lever. The toggle pin keeper looks to be fire blue, again I didn't remove it. Both sides of the frame at the rear have the circle "jeweling" left by the machining process.

Do you mind my asking what your serial number is? Just want to know how close in the sequence it is to 8523. I know that not all of the Krieghoff's were done in sequence but it's still a reasonable indicator.

Bob M.
maddog350gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2004, 10:03 AM   #24
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony S.
.... the "Locking Bolt Spring" is fired blue (dark) ....
Hi Tony!

Yes - on your's and Bob's 1937s - the spring is correct as either strawed or fire blued.

If you have a chance - we'd love to see pictures and a presentation of your HK as well.!!

Happy Holidays!

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote